Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago

I think your logic and words dont gel here. You talk about seperatism and speak as if this is a seperatism from the country, but then you talk about examples where people feel they should have a different state(doesnt mean a country, but a state as a state is defined in India). Even the Naxals in the region where you cite examples dont want a seperate country, all they want is better development

I think I may have not presented my statements clearly. Perhaps separatist was a wrong term in itself. By separatist I meant to say that each regional community wants their own government structure within the country. They feel that being part of a state government that does not completely represent their region/community is not to their benefit. I did not intend to bring up separatism from the country at all. Usually I use secession for separation from country.

There were and are only 3 true seperatist movements within India, where they actually talk about seperatism. Kashmir, Punjab and Assam.

I wonder if you have done any research on Vidharbha or Telangana to put forth that logic in relation with them. Vidharbha has always had a rich cultural background as compared to rest of Maharashtra, they have the best of the resources, they always have voted with the party in power, but have seen one of the lowest development in the state that is known to be one of the  top  developed states. The funding for projects in that area is always the lowest, so crime and poverty has grown. The needs of Vidharbha are not unique, nor are they saying they are unique. They are saying they want a seperate state(within the constitution of India) because they have lacked development and they think that a seperate state for them would get them better progress And without having a preconceived notion, I dont have an argument against their logic.

Thanks for the information on Vidharbha. I honestly do not have detailed political/historic information on Vidharbha or Telangana. I've never followed Indian politics to be as well informed. As I mentioned, my post is based purely from personal experience/observation which is extremely broad, dated and not completely informed or accurate.

Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

I dont think your point about it impacting a central govt is a valid one.  Say today Maharashtra has 48 seats to Loksabha, if it were to get divided, well there will still be 48 seats only they will get divided in 2-3 states.

My question was how would that help with the hung parliamnet problem we keep seeing day in and day out at national level?  2-3 more state instead of one state may also translate into 2-3 more local parties getting those seats rather than the main party if the state stayed one.  This will make the horse trading worst than what it is right now to gain majority in the parliament.

The reason why I like the division idea is it brings the govt down to the local level. Today the CM is from some other region, his fortunes are tied to his region. By dividing the state, you are reducing his area of influence to a particular region. Having more states is not going to increase funding, it is going to go directly to that region that needs it.

The telangana movement is also marred with some castiest elements playing at the heart of all these events.  How does this subdivision help with the divisive policy that is already plaguing our national and state level politics?  As far as development and serving local interest are concerned - the results from the earlier subdivided state don't really help much with this cause either.  Why would subdivision work for telangana and vidharba's aam janata if it did not work for Jharkhand?  Only politicians benefitted there and only politicans will benefit here.  It is what it is - divisive policy at its best --- or should I say "worst"!

To tell you frankly - I really don't give a damn.  Hamarey politicans ka kuchh  naheen ho sakta.  Chalo, yeh aur try ker key dekh lete hain.  
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Believe

If Telangana becomes a state, there wud be atleast 10 more states will emerge withing next 4-5+ years..

Kerala-Two states-Kerala and Malabar.

Tamil nadu-Tamil nadu ,Tirunelveli

Karnataka-Coorg,Canara& Karnataka.

Maharashtra-Vidharbha,Kokan,Khandesh & Marathwada.

Gujarat-Bardoda,Sourashtra & Baroda.

Rajasthan-N number

Kashmir-Jammu,Ladakh and Kashmir

UP-UP and Ajith sings Kahandan.

MP-Madhy pradesh,Gwalior,Holkar.

Bengal-Bengal&Gorkhaland.

Assam-Assam & Bodoland.

Any more?

Separate state for Telangana means the People of reamaining Andhra Pradesh will suffer..!! bcoz, AP's GDP is mainly dependent on Hyderabad income, which will go 2 Telangana... so, remaining AP has 2 depends upon Central Govt. help / subsidies for their growth...!!...When am discussing this matter with one of my friend he is from Ap, He mention some factors that telengana people suffer from inferiority complex because they are economically and culturally backward compared to coastal Andhra people....Reason is they were under the barbaric Nizam rule while the rest of India was under British rule which kept them uneducated and poor...They cant imagine competing with the students and other people from coastal Andhra....Most of the software companies and the entire film industry, big businesses are owned and run by Andhras...This is their problem???....I feel there are number of regions in India and within Andhra Pradesh itself that are historically neglected & backward than Telangana region...New jobs will NOT be created in Telangana State because it is Naxal effected region....Please stop this rubbish demands it will dent the growth India....I think India should start merging states into zones instead of dividing into more linguistic states...Now that communication and administration is easy with technology...In india we have seen many times,people always discriminated between caste and religion.In few years time after travelling every 100 kms we will be in a new state or Ut....😊

good post.... I think bombay should be a separate state as well..
nisha80 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
some facts.... related to Telangana and Andhra
PS:Im not in favour of any side

1. There are 10 districts in Telangana, 9 in Andhra and 4 in
Rayalaseema. Out of these 7 districts in Telangana, 3 in Andhra and 1
in Rayalaseema are considered severely backward districts which means
70% of districts in Telangana are backward while in Andhra it is 35%
and in Rayalaseema it is 25%. Apart from these there are some areas in
all parts of the state which are also backward.

2. 45% of the state income comes from Telangana region. When it
comes to utilization of funds, the share of Telangana is only 28%.

3. Normally canals are dug to supply water to the crops from
rivers for cultivation. The amount of land cultivated through canals
in just Guntur district is more than the land cultivated with canals
in entire Telangana region.

4.Nagarjuna sagar dam is built in Nalgonda district which is in
Telangana but majority of the water from the dam is used for Krishna
and Guntur district. The original dam was supposed to be build much
ahead of its present location but the location was changed so that it
falls in the Telangana region. Due to the construction of the dam
several hectares of Lime stone mines vanished as part of the dam back
waters. Everyone know that lime stone is used for producing cement.
Even the natural resources were not allowed to remain.

5. Fluorinated water problem is only in Nalgonda district which
has not been resolved since decades.

6. Two major rivers Krishna and Tungabhadra enter the state of
AP in the district of Mahaboobnagar(the biggest district in Telangana)
but the district always remains the worst draught hit areas along with
Anantapur because there is no project and process with which the water
can be utilized. The plans for utilization has been pending for
decades.

7. RDS (Rajolibanda Diversion Scheme) is build in Mahaboobnagar
to provide water to 85000 hectares of land in the district. The
leaders of Rayalaseems blasted the gates of RDS and water is supplied
to KC (Kurnool-Cudapah) canal while only remaining water, if any, is
supplied to the lands in Mahaboobnagar.

8. 3 TMC of water from Gandipet is sufficient to supply drinking
water to our city. Every year 1700 TMC of water is wasted and is flown
into Bay of Bengal from river Godavari. Starting from Nizambad to Bay
of Bengal there is no project allowed to build on Godavari. If it is
built leaders in Godavari districts fear that the fertile lands in the
area may fall short of water. If the Godavari water is utilized
properly, there will be no scarcity for food grains in our state.
FIFTY years of AP's history shows that the economic development process has marginalized the Telangana region of the State. Before the merger with Andhra State, Telangana, which was part of the Hyderabad State, was doing well in terms of agricultural and industrial development.
But the process of development has been disrupted, ironically, by the policies pursued by the successive governments of Andhra Pradesh, formed with the merger of Telangana and Andhra State.

The irrigation policies illustrate the discrimination against Telangana. The governments in AP gave high priority to irrigation in the five-year plans and Rs 12,104 crore was spent on it between 1956 and 2002. This constitutes nearly 25 per cent of the total plan outlay from the II Plan to IX Plan. As a consequence net irrigated area increased from 27.47 lakh hectares to 55 lakh hectares between 1955-56 and 2001-02. A lion's share, 90 per cent, in the public expenditure on irrigation was allocated for major and medium irrigation and minor irrigation received only 10 per cent of the allocation. This policy has resulted in the decline of the minor irrigation particularly tank irrigation and consequently the net area under tank irrigation declined from 10.68 lakh hectares to 5.67 lakh hectares between 1955-56 and 2001-02. In contrast the net area irrigated by canals has gone up from 12.92 lakh hectares to 15 lakh hectares between 1955- 56 and 2001-2002. The deterioration of the tank irrigation system has an adverse affect on Telangana more than the other regions because tanks have been the backbone of Telangana agriculture. Further, the loss of the area under the tank irrigation has not been compensated by allocation of river waters.

In fact the benefits of major irrigation have gone to coastal Andhra. In 2003-04, 6.93 lakh hectares of area irrigated under canals was located in four coastal districts of the State - East Godavari, West Godavari, Krishna and Guntur.

The corresponding figure for 2004-05 is 8.34 lakh hectares.

Nearly 60 per cent of the net area irrigated under canals is located in these four districts and the balance 40 per cent is shared by the other 18 districts. For example in the nine Telangana districts the area irrigated under canals in 2003- 04 was 1.36 lakh hectares which fell to 1.16 lakh hectares in 2004-05. Even under Jalayagnam the discrimination continues, 26 projects are contemplated under the Jalayagnam to irrigate 59 lakh hectares of which 43 lakh hectares will be in Andhra region and only 16 lakh hectares in Telangana.

Almost all the projects being taken up in Telangana are lift irrigation schemes under which only drip and sprinkler irrigation is permitted, according to the latest policies of the Government. Under drip and sprinkler irrigation the farmers will have to invest heavy amounts to get the benefits of irrigation.

The neglect of irrigation in Telangana has forced the farmers in the region to rely more on well irrigation. The area irrigated by wells has gone from 2.34 lakh hectares to 19 lakh hectares between 1955-56 and 1999-2000 in the State. In Telangana the area under well irrigation went up from 9.44 lakh hectares in 2003-04 to 9.95 lakh hectares in 2004-05. (See "An Outline of Agricultural Situation in AP 2004-05").

For each acre of land irrigated by surface irrigation 2.38 acres is irrigated by ground water in Rayalaseema and in Telangana the corresponding figure is 2.75 acres. Whereas in coastal districts only 0.28 acres is irrigated under wells for every acre irrigated by canals. (S. Subrahmanyam, 2002).

The heavy dependence on ground water has resulted in fall in the ground water table in Telangana as a consequence the traditional dug wells have dried up. Farmers have shifted to deep bore wells, which require energised motors, to draw water. As a result dependence on electricity has increased in the Telangana districts. All these has forced the farmers to invest huge amounts, from agriculture surpluses, to secure irrigation facilities leading to a major crisis in the agrarian economy of the region.

At the time of merger of Telangana with Andhra State certain safeguards were guaranteed to Telangana through a Gentlemen's Agreement. As per the agreement Telangana resources have to be utilized for the development of the region in accordance with the plans prepared by the representatives of the region. If the agreement were to be seriously implemented all the schemes proposed by the Hyderabad Government too would have been constructed to divert nearly 1,000 tmcs of Krishna and Godavari water to irrigate the fields in the region. Today, on record, Telangana gets a mere 277 tmc of water, which is far less in reality. If the Jalyagnam is implemented Telangana will lose its share in the river water permanently. The same situation prevails in the other sector too.

Telangana is thus marginalized and converted into an internal colony as a result of economic development process pursued by the successive governments. Its resources are diverted and utilized for the development of other regions.

The movement for separate statehood articulates the demand for a fair share in the resources.

Prof M Kodandaram, President, Telangana Vidyavanthula Vedika

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/s...5nzqumeA==&SEO= Edited by shaktheback - 14 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
They should follow the China Policy of a Central Govt controlling and ruling over all the little states and districts. Govt should be strong and forceful and yet let private enterprises flourish.

"Top Chinese legislator Wu Bangguo on Monday called on the country's lawmakers to maintain the correct political orientation, stressing the "essential differences" between the system of China's people's congresses and Western capitalist countries' system of political power.

Maintaining the correct political orientation is essential to the success of the work of the people's congresses, said Wu, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), when delivering a work report of the committee at the annual NPC session.

The most fundamental aspect in maintaining the correct political orientation is to "organically integrate the leadership of the Party, the position of the people as the masters of the country and the rule of law," Wu noted, adding "the core" is to uphold the leadership of the Party.

"We must more fully recognize the essential differences between the system of people's congresses and Western capitalist countries' system of political power," Wu said.

"China's system of political parties is a system of multiparty cooperation and political consultation under the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC), not a Western-style multiparty system," he said.

The system of the people's congresses is not a Western system with the separation of the three powers, Wu said.

Deputies to the people's congresses are broadly representative and they do not represent a single party or group as members of Western parliaments do. They exercise their lawful duties and powers collectively at meetings, rather than each deputy addressing problems directly and separately from other deputies, Wu added.

China must draw on the achievements of all cultures, including their political achievements, but shall "never simply copy the system of Western countries or introduce a system of multiple parties holding office in rotation, a system with the separation of the three powers or a bicameral system," Wu said."

(Xinhua News Agency March 9, 2009)

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
If Telengana becomes a separate state, it will give others in India 'inspiration' to also separate from their respective state for petty problems. The government should take a smart decision for once instead of giving into the whims of a certain Chief Minister who threatened to fast to death if Telengana did not become a separate state.😕

I'm from Andhra, and half my family lives in Hyderabad. Things are really bad there right now, with the buses being stopped and lots of vandals occurring everywhere for stupid reasons. My cousins couldn't go to school for a few days because all transportation was stopped (though they were happy about that of course). The people of Andhra are rebelling, don't know how this is going to turn out, but most likely, Telagana is going to become a separate state.🤔

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

If Telengana becomes a separate state, it will give others in India 'inspiration' to also separate from their respective state for petty problems. The government should take a smart decision for once instead of giving into the whims of a certain Chief Minister who threatened to fast to death if Telengana did not become a separate state.😕

I'm from Andhra, and half my family lives in Hyderabad. Things are really bad there right now, with the buses being stopped and lots of vandals occurring everywhere for stupid reasons. My cousins couldn't go to school for a few days because all transportation was stopped (though they were happy about that of course). The people of Andhra are rebelling, don't know how this is going to turn out, but most likely, Telagana is going to become a separate state.🤔

They burn more buses in the existing state than they put in the newly separated state!

I hope your relatives stay safe and sound.  Dust will settle down eventually - it always do.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

They burn more buses in the existing state than they put in the newly separated state!

I hope your relatives stay safe and sound.  Dust will settle down eventually - it always do.

Yeah, we're telling them to forget about going to work or school, no biggie if they lose a few days, you know? One of my relatives was telling us how one of their neighbors tried to go to work in his car (though he'd be safe), and a policeman smashed his windows. It's really shocking.😲

Yeah, it'll prob die down soon, but who know's what'll happen before that.
AnotherIndian thumbnail

Originally posted by: cuckoocutter

lol how silly, i wonder why they got to do this. cant they just lump the southie states into one? it's all idli land anyway 😆

ps. i got ideas for other zones too 😉but this thread is about southie state, so we gotta focus

*viewbies note: Edited foul language and direct attack. If you feel something has been posted in bad taste report it*
Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago