Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 08 December 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged

Hi, and welcome to the latest crazy event: Christmas card day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it wonderful, muaah vijay bhaiyya for the latest development at IF.Though somehow its not working here, so here is the direct link for the cardCry

To all IFians, from the crazy team

OK, so everyone know what a Christmas card it. Briefing, its  a greeting card, decorated, often done by hand, and  is  sent as a part of traditional celebration of Christmas. Normally we wish our friends, colleagues, near and dear ones to have a nice  celebration. It's a nice way to  convey our love and feelings and  to show some of them, although we may not speak every day,  you still reside in my heart.

The first commercial Christmas cards were commissioned by Sir Henry Cole in London, 1843, and featured an illustration by John Callcott Horsley. The picture, of a family with a small child drinking wine together, proved controversial, but the idea was shrewd: Cole had helped introduce the Penny Post three years earlier. Two batches totaling 2050 cards were printed and sold that year for a shilling each.

Early English cards rarely showed winter or religious themes, instead favoring flowers, fairies and other fanciful designs that reminded the recipient of the approach of spring. Humorous and sentimental images of children and animals were popular, as were increasingly elaborate shapes, decorations and materials. In 1875 Louis Prang became the first printer to offer cards in America, though the popularity of his cards led to cheap imitations that eventually drove him from the market. The advent of the postcard spelled the end for elaborate Victorian-style cards, but by the 1920s, cards with envelopes had returned.

The production of Christmas cards was, throughout the 20th century, a profitable business for many stationery manufacturers, with the design of cards continually evolving with changing tastes and printing techniques. The World Wars brought cards with patriotic themes. Idiosyncratic "studio cards" with cartoon illustrations and sometimes risque humor caught on in the 1950s. Nostalgic, sentimental, and religious images have continued in popularity, and, in the 21st century, reproductions of Victorian and Edwardian cards are easy to obtain. Modern Christmas cards can be bought individually but are also sold in packs of the same or varied designs.In recent decades changes in technology may be responsible for the decline of the Christmas card.

Its this time, when all those business contacts start dropping loads and loads of best wishes cards with greetings. Ever wondered when  and how did it began?

Well; "Official" Christmas cards began with Queen Victoria in the 1840s.  and it is done  to develop goodwill, retain social contacts  more than to sell a product. Good ! isn't it?

So, what are you waiting for, just go to any e-card site and start sending greetings card to everyone. I wouldn't mind at all  one of those cool meme4u cards are waiting for me in my inbox.

You can get more information on this topic on wikipidea,here.

From the crazies:

Edited by priya.nair - 08 December 2009 at 5:01pm

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

Biljisheenalkchip.Ishan.maneeshaF-Shankar--Imu.M-MP_Radha-Ravjot-ramasAngelic_AminuuOodlesDoodlesAngelic_J*Piku*QH_DDEJ_Fan

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Dec 9: Christmas card day" in meme4u.com forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

OodlesDoodles

IF-Veteran Member

OodlesDoodles

Posted: 08 December 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged
wow did not know there was so much history in the christmas cardShocked thanks for keeping us informed

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Imu.M-

-Ravjot-

IF-Veteran Member

-Ravjot-

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 08 December 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged
No wayShocked That's so cool!

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by priya.nair

wow did not know there was so much history in the christmas cardShocked thanks for keeping us informed

me neither, LOLkind of got blowed over just reading  the different types of greetings in different languages, will try to post some

Originally posted by -Ravjot-

No wayShocked That's so cool!

thanks.Embarrassed

maneeshaF

IF-Rockerz

maneeshaF

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 4:56am | IP Logged
I like to add one thing here too..
Its always feel so nice and special when u get a postal christmas card than the e card. The smell of the card always remind u that xmas is near and giving a lot of excitement .
And also its so fun to write christmas cards from hand.
I love christmas.Tongue

Bilji

Groupbie

Bilji

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 5:33am | IP Logged

To Everyone

Thank You For Nice Post

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

maneeshaF

Ishan.

Ishan.

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 5:40am | IP Logged
Thanks a lot for the info about Christmas Card Day Clap Here is Christmas card for all my IF friends !! Big smile

http://i.123g.us/c/edec_christcardday/card/109080.gif

Edited by ishan.k - 09 December 2009 at 5:55am

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 6:08am | IP Logged
Wow, thats some history!

thanks for sharing..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top