Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sneha thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

An XKCD Classic

Friends with Detriments: The Life of a NerdπŸ˜†

I think I love this! Just the fact that it shows that 'friends are friends' and though it completely contradicts the whole theme of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai πŸ˜†, I still love it! Perhaps because I believe in it too, you may start with friendship, but sometimes, deep down, you always know the difference between a friend, and someone you'd want to spend your life with. The heart is one unstable organ, but I think, this is one of the few matters in which it is more than clear... πŸ˜†
Originally posted by: crazy_sunny

so much calculation involved  what about a poor soul like me who hates maths πŸ˜” mai toh ginte ginte budha bhoot ban gaya 😭 

k, let's make the math simple then. it's nothing more complicated than finding the shortest path between bee and honey. bee maloom hai na kya hai? and shahad? πŸ˜†
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
It could be me, but I seem to find that people who grow up watching too many Bollywood movies seem to find it very difficult to overcome heartbreaks. Did anyone notice something similar?

When I try to show some reason, or try to provide some emotional support to these heartbroken people, then I get only some ghisa pita bollywood dialogue in return. Like "main apne hisse ka pyaar kar chuka/chuki" πŸ˜›

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: karandel_2008

It could be me, but I seem to find that people who grow up watching too many Bollywood movies seem to find it very difficult to overcome heartbreaks. Did anyone notice something similar?

When I try to show some reason, or try to provide some emotional support to these heartbroken people, then I get only some ghisa pita bollywood dialogue in return. Like "main apne hisse ka pyaar kar chuka/chuki" πŸ˜›

Okay Karan, what I don't get is why you're so surrounded with all these lovestruck people in your life, and somehow you're totally above it all? πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine, who was saying that she doesn't like Bollywood movies because they're too happy and because they allow you to think that real life is like that too. She calls it "being practical". (FYI - we're all in that one Facebook group called "Bollywood gave me unrealistic expectations about desi guys. πŸ˜†) But my point is, if you want to see something that is practical and real, then look out your window. That's reality, baby. But I mean, movies are supposed to be fantasy, so what's wrong with watching extremely cheesy movies and developing fantasy notions about love? πŸ˜‰

Lols at the dialogue-baazi you state there, people need to grow up, I think. Somehow your comment made me remember how my extremely arrogant cousin always says "mujhpe itni ladkiyan marti hain", so I always tell him - saari marjayengi toh bachegi kaun. πŸ˜† Point is, you should come up with a good comeback to knock some sense itno these fellas that you hang out with. πŸ˜†
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Okay Karan, what I don't get is why you're so surrounded with all these lovestruck people in your life, and somehow you're totally above it all? πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine, who was saying that she doesn't like Bollywood movies because they're too happy and because they allow you to think that real life is like that too. She calls it "being practical". (FYI - we're all in that one Facebook group called "Bollywood gave me unrealistic expectations about desi guys. πŸ˜†) But my point is, if you want to see something that is practical and real, then look out your window. That's reality, baby. But I mean, movies are supposed to be fantasy, so what's wrong with watching extremely cheesy movies and developing fantasy notions about love? πŸ˜‰

Lols at the dialogue-baazi you state there, people need to grow up, I think. Somehow your comment made me remember how my extremely arrogant cousin always says "mujhpe itni ladkiyan marti hain", so I always tell him - saari marjayengi toh bachegi kaun. πŸ˜† Point is, you should come up with a good comeback to knock some sense itno these fellas that you hang out with. πŸ˜†

I am not above it all πŸ˜› and I have my own stories πŸ˜‰. I may sound as "above it all" to some of my love struck friends because I tell them my point of view as a neutral entity. It is easy to be logical when things dont involve us in the first place.

Regarding cheesy notions, the problem is that some people think that it is the reality. And I cant see people sad for years.

I like your comeback to the dialogues. Will pass on some dialogue baazi to you and use your comebacks against those, about to be hapless, people. πŸ˜‰

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: sneha0601

Sarina, if you do recommend these books, please let me know if I could find them online as well, I'd bet it would be a better idea to catch a plane to a library at the nearest country rather than try finding them in libraries anywhere over here!
I know White Nights is available online in text format, but I cannot find it. I found the audio version here - http://www.archive.org/details/white_nights_librivox,

The Object of My Affection book still has a current copyright so it is not easily available online. The paperback is pretty inexpensive though ranging from $6 to $12 or so. The movie can be rented anywhere or downloaded through torrents.

Also, one interesting question to anyone is: True no one would feel like falling in love with someone that you wouldn't get together with, ever! But the question is, what if you can't help it and what if, God forbid, it does happen? What then? How do you go about loving someone else, when you know deep down, he wouldn't ever get your full heart? Is it really right then to take someone else who loves you for granted, a whole life at times? Seems too filmy? Perhaps, but what would you do if it happened to you?

This is precisely why I do not believe in soulmates, one true love, perfect romances or similar things. Do not get me wrong, I am a romantic who likes to believe in true love and soulmates,  I'm convinced that its out there somewhere; and probably the best thing ever when you find it; I like to believe that someday magically all dreams come true. However, it is also important to be grounded realistically  the probability of such things is way too low and its really not worth that much for humans to stake their lives and those that of others.

The problem with such notions is that the second people fall for someone they believe it is the real deal. They set unrealistic expectations. The result is that disappointment strikes faster and people are unable to deal with reality. The reality is that even when you have loved and lost, life goes on. You still can live love and be truly happy.

People fall in love unexpectedly all the time, even when they are not supposed to. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong person or whatever. Sometimes they experience unrequited love. Sometimes even when it is requited things do not work out. There are very few people in this world who are actually with the first person they fell for. There are very few people who can honestly claim that they have never experienced their heart pine for someone else or something else. Real love is a compromise, two people stay together because whatever these heartaches they have experienced, or will experience, together they can overcome it and live life to the fullest.

Take Mark in Love Actually. Juliet is his friends fianc, she marries his friend. He cares for his friend, but he cannot help falling in love with her. He does not want to break a relationship or ruin things. All he wants to do is let her know that he genuinely loves her. Just tell her for once and move on. Part of him will always love her, but the rest of him knows that he can move on and find a different kind of love.

When you move on after not being able to be with the one you love, you do not necessarily take someone for granted. You choose to be with them because you know you do love them and will love them. Like Naina in Kal Ho Naa Ho. She will probably never be over Aman, she will probably never love Rohit the way she loved Aman. Rohit knows that too. Neither of them is settling or taking each other for granted. They know they can make a relationship work.

Then you can have people stuck in the infinite friend zone like the guy in the XKCD comic. You do not always have to marry or be in a relationship with the person you love. Sometimes you can just be there as a friend. You mention Kuch Kuch Hota Hain and how best friends fall in love. It depends on person to person and what sort of love they are looking for. For some people its meeting someone, feeling that spark and pursuing that, its a sense of passion and excitement. For others is being with someone familiar, you can relate to, be yourself with and be comfortable. Sometimes its a combination of both and what people want changes throughout their lives. In KKHH Rahul is searching for the spark of meeting someone, which he finds in Tina. Anjali was in love with the familiarity of Rahul and the comfort she experienced with him. However, when Tina passes away Rahul realizes that he is happy with that type of love too. Had Tina not been there he would have eventually grown into the idea. But he needed to experience life changes before his expectation of love changed.

Then there are moments when you find someone you fall for after you are married. There are many more what ifs then. Can you still be friends and spend a day together like Jesse and Celine. Is spending time with that person or communicating with them cheating or is it ok as long as you do not have sex. Then again is it just a temporary infatuation, something you can get over and live with. Is it really worth pursuing, is it really worth the complications and implications. What is the better choice for your current relationship, being open and honest or dealing with your internal conflicts within yourself.

Ah relationships are indeed complicated. Forget the mathematics of dating, someone needs to create a logical system to follow for life and the lovely ways it can screw with you. I'm not sure I answered your questions at all. πŸ˜†

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

An XKCD Classic

Friends with Detriments: The Life of a NerdπŸ˜†

Actuly the cartoon says WHO'S the REAL Jerk !!!πŸ˜†
-Sneha thumbnail
Heck Sarina! This was long, but it was lovely reading it, I had a smile all along, because I was thinking about so many things at once perhaps. Someday, we should really get our group of DM together at once place and talk, talk, talk! The thing is, I bet there and then, no one would say something in the beginning, and then, pouuufff, everyone would connect as if we always knew each other, because internally, we do! 😳

From what I have heard it is ambiguous whether Jesse and Celine had sex in Before Sunrise. People seem to interpret it on their perceptions. But I do agree, there is a wondrous charm to men who are willing to put their desires aside and willing to express/explore their emotional, romantic side where all you do is get to know someone.

There you are, after I watched that scene, even I wondered what they wanted to portray. It's up to your perception actually. Because you feel somehow part of it, the conclusion you draw from it is a bit of what you would have done in such a situation, or resisted doing of course! πŸ˜‰

Love Actually has to be the best winter romance ever (after Kal Ho Naa Ho). Initially, I found it a bit tedious; but when everything connects again in the end at the airport - when all the loose ends are tied together you feel so warm and fuzzy. It is not over the top either, some very realistic characters. I love Keira Knightley's track where the guy just loves her. I also loved Colin Firth's track where he falls for the Portuguese woman and they cannot even communicate. 

I'll have to catch it then and come back to you! For sure... There are a lot of stories where things fall in place at the end, that's when you can't help loving it all!

I have watched neither. Personally though I do not feel that you have to have experienced certain things to connect with a film. Although certain life experiences make a movie touch you deeper, it is not necessary. A movie on racial prejudice may touch white and black people differently, but a good film can speak to all audiences.

I am with you on this, but it is not about experience which surely prompted them to ask me to see it later on. Or so I believe. It's more the fact that according to her, I am perhaps yet a bit too young to understand the depth of what's going on. Because one needs to understand what a relationship means in the first place, to understand all the complications that thereby follow. I'll give it to her, perhaps she is right, because she does acknowledge how I tend to be much elder than I am in most matters, at least compared to nearly all students my age, so she wouldn't have said that unless
she really meant it in the real way. And then, whether it is at 16 or 60 as I said it earlier on, everyone understands, and interprets ideas and emotions differently anyway!

Too many movies tend to show romances as one idealistic affair with fairytale endings. However, in real life people can be pulled in many directions career, differing lifestyles and also different people who touch their lives - friends, family, unrequited loves, past flames, new sparks and interests etc. It is not as idealistic or as easy as people make it out to be.

True, and too many people get right under the trap, even if it isn't one!I just feel people today need to feel that way, that life is easy and you can move on considering only that luck factor, or on the other hand, they are too cautious, about everything they do, too conscious about anything that happens, so much, that they  would never allow themselves to be a Jesse or a Celine, bot because they don't want it, but because they are afraid of what comes after it!

I know White Nights is available online in text format, but I cannot find it. I found the audio version here - http://www.archive.org/details/white_nights_librivox,

Thanks! This is lovely...

When you move on after not being able to be with the one you love, you do not necessarily take someone for granted. You choose to be with them because you know you do love them and will love them. Like Naina in Kal Ho Naa Ho. She will probably never be over Aman, she will probably never love Rohit the way she loved Aman. Rohit knows that too. Neither of them is settling or taking each other for granted. They know they can make a relationship work.

I was hoping someone would mention Kal Ho Na Ho, that was the first example that came to my mind after typing down that bit! I was seriously hoping someone would mention that, and here you are! πŸ˜›

Then you can have people stuck in the infinite friend zone like the guy in the XKCD comic. You do not always have to marry or be in a relationship with the person you love. Sometimes you can just be there as a friend. You mention Kuch Kuch Hota Hain and how best friends fall in love. It depends on person to person and what sort of love they are looking for. For some people its meeting someone, feeling that spark and pursuing that, its a sense of passion and excitement. For others is being with someone familiar, you can relate to, be yourself with and be comfortable. Sometimes its a combination of both and what people want changes throughout their lives. In KKHH Rahul is searching for the spark of meeting someone, which he finds in Tina. Anjali was in love with the familiarity of Rahul and the comfort she experienced with him. However, when Tina passes away Rahul realizes that he is happy with that type of love too. Had Tina not been there he would have eventually grown into the idea. But he needed to experience life changes before his expectation of love changed.

Right, so it means the love is different? Meaning you can love "unconditionally", even though I don't like using that word, more than once in your lifetime? It means you could have more than one soul mate or one Mr./Mrs. Right? I am glad you tackled KKHH, because I meant to ask that too. Does this mean that if Tina never died, Rahul would have never felt anything for Anjali? It surely means, so this does happen. The problem is, if he felt all this before she dies, it would have been wrong, because he was married. But since his wife is deceased, it's no longer wrong, since he's somehow 'free'? Worth thinking about...

Then there are moments when you find someone you fall for after you are married. There are many more what ifs then. Can you still be friends and spend a day together like Jesse and Celine. Is spending time with that person or communicating with them cheating or is it ok as long as you do not have sex. Then again is it just a temporary infatuation, something you can get over and live with. Is it really worth pursuing, is it really worth the complications and implications. What is the better choice for your current relationship, being open and honest or dealing with your internal conflicts within yourself.

I personally would never marry someone I would want to get rid of in a year or two. Somehow, doesn't that mean you have not thought hard enough before taking a decision? Why not wait for a year at least, get to know the person, get to know if you could live with him/her, and then take any decision? But then, again comes the question of, but what if you find everything alright, and find your soul mate after marriage? That's why I said earlier a few weeks back in a post that KANK had a beautiful storyline to it, just handled badly towards the middle! When SRK says: 'Agar nahi dundhogi, to nahi milega!' when Rani asks him what if she gets true love after marriage, that one phrase says a lot. But it's human nature deep down isn't it? You never keep hoping for fairy tale endings, you never stop looking out for unrequited love, you never ever stop hoping, and when you do, you are bound to get attracted to the first thing that mildly resembles what you thought of! Whether you regret or not otherwise, that's another debate, but it sure does complicate matters with children waiting at home. The real question of this whole Mathematics of Dating actually is: How do you know when to stop? The time factor is there yes, but how do you actually know you aren't getting anyone better? Because in real life, unlike in Main Hoon Naa, neither bells are going to ring, nor are violins going to self-play... πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Ah relationships are indeed complicated. Forget the mathematics of dating, someone needs to create a logical system to follow for life and the lovely ways it can screw with you. I'm not sure I answered your questions at all. πŸ˜†

I think Life itself is one complex entity. That's why I hate it when people say life is only as difficult as you want it to be. For those wanting to go behind the usual barriers half of the Earth's boring population passes through helplessly, I don't think life is easy. But you sure decide for yourself whether you want to make it interesting or not! Smiling in problems and finding opportunities in difficulties, that's worth a try!

About answering the question, you always do Girl. And even when you don't I still love it as much, so don't worry about that! Thanks for taking time out to write that much, I loved it! πŸ€— It made me think so much, something you guys out here are spoiling me at. My friends keep on complaining I should stop DM, I tend to seem 20 years elder than I am all because of internet and DM... πŸ˜† And they just get pissed off when I simply answer: It's not about trying to be elder, it's about trying to understand so that I can enjoy life more than all of you do, or will... πŸ˜†

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

@Sneha – your friends think DM is making you sound old. Oh dear! Perhaps you should tell them about the goofy off topics and silliness we get into. Although, I must tell you DM is tame in some aspects. This exchange reminded me of some threads on another forum oh almost five years ago. I had just joined and there were several discussions going on about love, sex & relationships. It was intense and interesting.. Actually, a lot of people I know online have been through those threads. One of them recently on FB informed me how she was now engaged to be married and thanked me for the long discussions. πŸ˜†

Any way regarding your KKHH question. No I do not think Tina had to die. I feel Rahul realized his feelings for Anjali and the what if that may have been with her, immediately after she left. In my opinion her leaving leaves a void in his life, which makes him realizes that things could have turned different. Even if Anjali chose not to leave, I think eventually with passage of time he would have realized it. Whether he pursued those feelings or not would be a different question. There is nothing wrong with those feelings. In fact Tina always knew about it, which is why when she died she wanted to see if he could get a chance at that what if in his life.

Hypothetically I feel, had Tina not died and had Anjali not left and eventually married someone else. She and Rahul would have been two people who were more than friends, but friends. A perpetual awkward zone where you have more than friendly feelings, but are restrained to be just friends. Actually many people who are real close friends experience this. Either the feeling is one sided or they both choose to pursue a different sort of love. Sometimes two best friends do end up falling in love, like Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na. I feel that the love potential is always there, but its not the type of relationship people are looking for – and usually people only acknowledge it when they face the possibility of losing someone.

People tend to take friends for granted, especially best friends, the second your friend is going to be married or is seeing someone else and you are no longer number one priority – all sorts of feelings creep in. Its not always romantic or love. Guys complain that their buddy is not the same fun guy or girls complain that their gal pal is changing for a guy – and everyone starts acting like a jealous lover. It is most amusing how bitchy some guys get when their best buddy chooses a girl over man time with them. People were aware of how close gal pals are, but until the recent concept of bromance or male bonding like shown in Dil Chahta hain, Friends or I love you Man etc – not many people understood the emotional bonding that men experience too.

I'm drifting into another topic now. πŸ˜†