Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
What do you think is the reason Ekta Kapoor's Kahaani Humaaray Mahabhaarat Ki did not become famous?

Is it really because people compare it to BR Chopra's Mahabharat and find faults in it....or because there was a major fault in the direction of the serial?

Do people still imagine the characters of MB to be weighed down with tons of jewelry and colorful silks (like in BRC's), and therefore did not like the comparably pale jewelry and drab clothing of KHMK? Or do you think the sets or costumes had nothing to do with it?

Do you think the major faults in the script and authenticity of the story compared to Veda Vyasa's is the main reason?

What could Kekta have done to make her serial more of an eye-catcher?

I know...random debate, but I was watching Draupadi's Cheer Haran (from KHMK) on youtube and was wondering why it was so painful to watch, and why I (and most people I know) cringe at the name of the serial when most of Kekta's saas-bahu soaps are such a big hit. 

Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 06 December 2009 at 12:08pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ekta Kapoor's KHMK" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged
Lalitha, the problem is I haven't watched that serial. As a matter of fact, I don't watch any Kekta serial except Kavyanjali which still plays over here because I like watching Chaitanya and Iqbal Khan in there. Embarrassed

Someday, if you give me a feedback, I may try to watch a few episodes and then add my input.. Let me know! Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 10:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

What do you think is the reason Ekta Kapoor's Kahaani Humaaray Mahabhaarat Ki did not become famous?

I did not know it existed till I heard of it from you.

Is it really because people compare it to BR Chopra's Mahabharat and find faults in it....or because there was a major fault in the direction of the serial?

Do people still imagine the characters of MB to be weighed down with tons of jewelry and colorful silks (like in BRC's), and therefore did not like the comparably pale jewelry and drab clothing of KHMK? Or do you think the sets or costumes had nothing to do with it?

Do you think the major faults in the script and authenticity of the story compared to Veda Vyasa's is the main reason?

Not really. Peter Brooks Mahabharata is a popular western adaptation that is critically acclaimed. Even some fans of BR Chopras Mahabharata feel a westerner like Peter Brooks did a good job.

What could Kekta have done to make her serial more of an eye-catcher?

Let someone more awesome like Peter Jackson make a Mahabharata trilogy. Heck I'd even watch it if Mel Gibson made it.

I know...random debate, but I was watching Draupadi's Cheer Haran (from KHMK) on youtube and was wondering why it was so painful to watch, and why I (and most people I know) cringe at the name of the serial when most of Kekta's saas-bahu soaps are such a big hit.

The problem I think is that Ekta is known for her soap dramas. Mahabharata is dramatic, but not OTT and crazy like the soaps she makes. Besides I feel the audience of Kekta soaps and Mahabharata fans is too different. IMHO The key in making Mahabharata successful is not about costume authenticity or perfect storyline adherence - it lies in portraying characters with simple integrity letting them shine without histrionics. Although I have not seen this KHMK I doubt a OTT drama soap maker can do that. 

..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 5:18am | IP Logged
Thanks for your input guys:

Here is the Draupadi Cheer Haran from Kekta's (unfinished due to being so unpopular) KHMK for those of you who haven't seen the serial:

If you're interested in seeing more, just press KHMK in youtube and you'll get tons of vids. ;)

-Sneha

CunningLinguist

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

casper2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Emptiness

Well I watched three episodes when this started, and stopped watching.  It was like any other Ekta's soap, not that I watch any of them. 

One of the biggest problems for me were the actors, they were all well known established television actors who've worked in Ekta's serials for years.  I just couldn't identify them with the characters they were playing, unlike the Chopra's version, where most of them were newcomers.  Those actors did justice to their roles, even today - I identify them with the names of the characters they played.

I don't know how authentic Ekta's version was, I didn't see enough to judge that.  However, the costumes looked more Greco-Roman than Indian.

Bobby Bedi was allegedly making Mahabharata as well, which was supposed to air on Star Plus, I was looking forward to his version, but looks like the project has been scrapped.

Yes, I think one of the main problems is that well known actors were chosen to play the characters, and many people couldn't identify with them in their characters' roles, especially Hiten Tejwani as Karna, Anita Hassanandani as Draupadi, and Ronit Roy as Bhishma. These actors are all really well known in tons of movies/shows that it was hard for people to identify them with scriptural roles, and that too with the mess Kekta made with the script.

Draupadi's cheer haran was messed up (the serial started with that scene), many inspirational characters were missing from it, like Vidura (who wasn't even in the show if I remember correctly) and the Kauravas' youngest character. Dhritarastra was also missing from that scene, as well as Bhishma, Kripacharya, and Dronacharya. It was basically Kauravas vs. Pandavas with no one else there, and instead of Krishna himself giving Draupadi the cloth, it is his chakra.Confused

There are many more weird things she did with her serial that it was more a saas-bahu soap than an Epic.

CunningLinguist

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 7:52am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Emptiness

The whole thing was terrible, the annoying zooming in and out, silly camera angles, the "voooooooosh" sound effects, the music was a joke, the same generic loud drum rolls you hear in all of her serials, and what's was up with the aartis?, it looks like they couldn't afford a music director so they just downloaded a couple of aartis and stuck them in some place.

LOL, they made Shakuni in to some sort of a clown, Draupadi was way over the top with her acting, you don't feel sorry for her, on the contrary, I wanted someone to slap her silly.

Btw, you said this serial was left incomplete, where did they get up to before they stopped?

Agree with you! And did you notice the cow mooing sound they put on whenever Kans entered the scene?ROFL
Yes, Draupadi's banshee-like screaming made me feel sorry for everyone on the sets putting up with that, Dushashan looked like a creepy stalker.

Next to Ravindra Jain (who composed the songs of Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan, Shri Krishna, and NDTV Ramayan) and Rajkamal (music director of BR Chopra's Mahabharat and Ramayan), the "songs" in KHMK...it's better not to comment.Wink

I don't remember exactly where they left off, but I don't thinkg they got to Draupadi's Swayamvar...or did they? I'll have to check and make sure.

Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 07 December 2009 at 8:32am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top