Harry Potter

Good or Bad?

daniel_4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
I was just thinking about it & I thought that I would like to know what u guys thought about it too...

I would like to know what all of you thought of Snape..
was he a good or bad character..

Personally, I think that he was a good character.. He always thought that it was good to keep a distance with Harry, to show to the people that he hated him because he destroyed the Dark Lord, but he did it so that he would not have any sort of attachment with him, as him being Lily's son...

What about u???

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saiba007 thumbnail
well we didnt know about it until we read the last book where we founf out that sanpe was a good person before that i am sure every1 hated him for what he was doing with harry couz no1 knew that sanpe wonted to protect harry and wonted him to think he hates him to avoide any connection with him so before reading the book every1 hated him but when they did every1 liked him persnally i hated him but after reading the book i like him now couz we know at last snape is gonna help harry and let him know he cared about harry thast why he was never good with him he was loving harry from far yet he was enemy when they were close. thats what i think
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
He was a mix... if he were a good person, he would never have left Lily and joined the Death Eaters.... but afterwards, he became a better person once he figured out that what he was doing was wrong :)
fly_chick thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: chhilt

He was a mix... if he were a good person, he would never have left Lily and joined the Death Eaters.... but afterwards, he became a better person once he figured out that what he was doing was wrong :)

Agree, Initially i hated the way he treated Harry but also felt there's something much deeper to this- i mean he saved Harry in Philosophers stone and Dumbledores immense trust in him etc and i was right in the end though i hated him when he killed Dumbledore but it was all cleared in DH.  But i agree with what you said Chillt- he was a mix because he must have killed loads of people when he was a death Eater and caused lily and James Death but rectified hs mistake by helping to protect harry and others.
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Originally posted by: chhilt

What she said :P LOL
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I don't think we can define anyone in HP as precisely "good" or "bad" (except Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Lucius, lol).

Snape was neither good nor bad. He did what he had to when he had to...and in that way, he became a fulfilled character.

He made some mistakes in life like everyone else, and though those mistakes may have proved detremental to himself more than anyone else, he did redeem himself by sacrificing his happiness to do Dumbledore's bidding and bring down Voldemort.
Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 14 years ago
-Sakina- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
he was basically a grey character......mostly good...but he obviously had dark shades to him...
Scarlet_Glow thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Snape has his times...throughout the whole series he is shown as the bad guy...especially in the 6th 1, with "murdering" Professor Dumbledore n all!

But when i was re-reading that part in the 6th book...JK Rowling describes Snape's expressions moments before he cursed Prof. Dumbledore....they were full of hatred n livid...!

And then the scene when he was living the hogwarts ground with Harry running behind him...n Harry said something like "Fight back, you Coward!" And to that, Prof. Snape was so furious that he slapped Harry and told him that he isnt a coward...and again, his expressions were discribed as demented and inhuman...full of torment to such an extreme!

And i realized then that even though Prof. Snape had his rough times...it did take everything in him to do what he did...Kill Prof. Dumbledore, which he hated doing it...and just so much other things!

At the end, i think that his choices in life, and the outcomes/consequences of them made him who he truly was...the death of lily evens made him a cold person, in a way! But he did feel remorse for the bad things he had done...n at the end, turned out to be the tragic hero of HP series!
I think that he is a bit of both..........overall he is a good character but a very flawed one, as a result he made some bad choices during his life.......but at the end of the day no matter how negative his charcter appeared to be he spent most his time protecting Harry bcoz of his love for Lily....and he died protecting him............all in all Snape is a truly tragic character he suffered at most points in his life....ie during his childhood he had an abusive father..........when he was on the dark side.....well u know how voldie and the deatheaters are like......and then when he was on the good side most ppl didn't trust him and on top of that he blames himself for lily's death..............no wonder the guy's all over the place............😆
prachi_poorvi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Snape 's character is the most well written character by JKR...
It has different shades of grey to it...

Am now dissecting his character since beginning:(hope u dont get bored..as u knw all this)

Snape was nborn into a not that well to do family.His mother Eileen Prince was a witch .while his father a muggle or muggle born wizard.

His parents quarrelled a lot..Snape knew he was a wizard and secretly used to observe Lily who he found out cud do magic eventhough being muggle born..He had fallen for her since he first saw her..

He despised her sister Petunia as she was a muggle...Petunia used to make fun of Snape regarding his clothes etc..
Snape slowly befriends Lily..and tells her that she is a witch etc..

Lily doesnt mind Snape as Petunia does...She reciprocates their friendship...

They reach hogwarts..slowly Snape dabbes in dark arts..it is his interest...But he loves Lily too..But due to peer pressure..his greater dark arts interest leads him away from Lily....

Like all slytherins Snape joins Voldermort...

But on knowing that the prophecy he had overhead was deciphered as killing Lily...He is anguished and wants his first and last love to remain alive...He sees no option but to join DD..at his great risk..On DD s instruction he remains in Voldy s army...But Lily is killed...

But DD convinces Snape to look after Harry help him protect him..."harry s eyes are just the same shape same color like her mother 's"..But harry being James s son and even look vise same..Snape shows outward hatred..and sometimes maybe he just treats harry just like he wud like to have treated james..james who had humiliated him many times in school....

But snape always cared for harry ..his patronus"silver doe" a proof of that...

In the end he died to save help harry...

and his last words were"look at me" ..and he sees Lily in the eyes of Harry...................