Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged
Alright, I am not much of a fan of the Twilight series. However, today someone brought up an interesting point to me.

While I may not like the series, when I saw Twilight I thought the cast could not have been better. Robert Pattison seemed dreamy as Edward and the entire Cullen clan was gorgeous. I even had to admit there was something to Bella and Edward's obsessive romanticism.

However, most people I know were disappointed with Edward in New Moon. Many felt as a movie New Moon was better, especially the visual effects and thrills. But Edward seemed more like some junkie freak and the sweeping magic of Bella Edward's romantic connection was missing.

Twilight was directed by Catherine Hardiwicke. New Moon was directed by Chris Weitz. A friend suggested that being a female director Hardwicke was able to capture the beauty and essence of Edward and the Bella/Edward romance better. Weitz on the other hand does great with the buff more masculine Quileute werewolves and Jacob but is unable to capture the romantic aspect of Bella/Edward or do Edward and his looks justice.

What do people have to say on this? I'm curious what some of the fans think? Is there anything to this theory?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Midnight_Shade

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Did the director undo New Moon?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
it is very hard to condense 800 pages into 2 hours. The special effects were good and the actors played the characters well...Twilights captured more face reactions/ emotions of Bella.. I think Kristin is perfect for the part of Bella and came acroos exactly as she does in the book....Another I feel the some situations wrong music, the wrong atmosphere,  there were too many stupid jokes and not enough explanation into the flow of the scenes....I miss the green that engulfs Twilight, like in the book. The constant birds tweeting just don't cut it.....But overall Good job Chris

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 1:16am | IP Logged
I actually think people found too less of Bella/Edward romance, or rather found it too dull more so because of the storyline than of the director's cut! I mean it's so not necessary for a director to be a female in order to capture a more romantic aspect of the storyline than a male director. Come on, we've so had some of the greatest romantic movies directed by males, or am I mistaken about Adam Shankman? LOL

Coming back to New Moon, I feel the Jacob-Bella storyline, having taken way too much footage, has lessened the impact of the Edward-Bella plot the fans first saw in Twilight. It's a bit like, when Twilight first came out, girls were crazy behind Edward Cullen/ Robert Pattison  and suddenly, in less than one year or so, half of the same girls shout for Jacob Black/Taylor Lautner. I think it's more that than anything else. I felt exactly the same thing between Edward-Bella when I watched the movie. The only thing is, I didn't like it then, I didn't like it now either!

I think a woman perhaps understands the depth of loving someone when the odds are so strong, like in Bella's case. But I certainly far from believe that she can portray romance better than man. Come to think of it, men have proven to be more romantic than women in many cases! Wink

Somehow, I feel it's just the hype of Bella-Jacob, what's more is that people are loving them together, on and off-screen. Obvious it's going to affect the craze behind the other couple!

I am no fan of Twilight, but I simply love Taylor Lautner and I really appreciate Jacob's character. Thank God people are realizing who's the better man out of the two.. LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angelic_J..RamKiJanaki..

Midnight_Shade

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angelic_J

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 7:15pm | IP Logged

Midnight_Shade

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 04 December 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged
Hmm, I think that's an interesting point, and it could have something to do with the director. However, I don't think its particularly gender that sets them apart. In the end, they are simply two different individuals, with two different minds, and with two different interpretations.

I agree, Edward looked awful in this movie, but IMO, he looked pretty bad in the first one as well. Meyers, though a horrible writer, gives a pretty elaborate description of what Edward's supposed to look like. I'm not just talking about his looks, of which Robert Pattinson obviously falls short, but I'm talking more of even his behavior. The way he acts around Bella, there's something to it. That, to this day, I do not think either director has properly captured. It could have something to do with the whole difficulty in transforming a book into a movie in its entirety, but I think at least the character's should be interpreted with great scrutiny.

And above all of this, why does everyone forget that Team Edward is supposed to hate New Moon? Edward is the bad guy in New Moon, he's supposed to be given less coverage. Jacob is supposed to be the big deal in the book. And although the director captured that part accurately, the movie forgets that in the end of not only the book, but also the series, it is Edward that is still the angel. You're still supposed to love Edward at the end, but unlike the book, the movie forgets to do that. I think most of those who haven't read the book are left wondering why Bella is stupid enough to go back to Edward when Jacob is perfect. The movie totally forgets to focus at the fact that Edward left Bella not for selfish reasons, but for her own sake.

Anyways, I think that unlike all the book to movie transformations, the Twilight series, for some reason aims at only the fans who've actually read the books. Unlike, for example, the Harry Potter movies, which you can watch without having read the books and still enjoy it, I think the Twilight movies are hard to not only enjoy but also understand without having read the books. Meyers' writing may be weak, but I don't think her plot is as weak as the movies make it out to be.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil..RamKiJanaki..

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 05 December 2009 at 4:50am | IP Logged
So which team would you be Anju then? Edward or Jacob? And why? (Note: I solely mean Edward/Jacob and NOT Robert/Taylor at all... Because in the later case, it would be too obvious!! LOL)

Also, I think HP's a better success in any age group because exactly the first reason you talked of in Twilight. Because HP, books or movies, explains the characters in its totality, or at least to the best possible! What Harry feels, what Ron feels, what Hermione, Draco, Dumbledore feel individually and respectively. Those once in while scenes showing nothing but the expressions on the faces of those individuals. Whereas Twilight and New Moon BOTH don't have those. I think Kristen's grown as an actor, but Robert, not really too much! Many times in the movie there are expressions that just don't match! Though sometimes a character is successful because of the actor who plays it whereas other times its vice versa. I think in Twilight's case, Robert became successful because he played Edward, whereas Jacob became successful because he was being played by Taylor.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Sujal_Fan_No1Angelic_J..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top