Debate Mansion

[BURNING ISSUE] Problems for Dual Earner Families. (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 8

Page 1 Page 5
Page   of 8
Page 7 Page 8

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 08 December 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sneha0601

Unless India emerges from all its poverty and overpopulation issues, I don't think it's going to help whether the GDP growth is in high figures like 8% or 11%.  They need to get in front and confront these, however hard the first few steps would be.
For starters lets give more idependence to women. Give them the freedom of choice of education, career, family. Only then will majority of the women have a say in determining family size , preventing overpopulation and also of alleviating poverty .

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "[BURNING ISSUE] Problems for Dual Earner Families. (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 08 December 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Originally posted by sneha0601

Unless India emerges from all its poverty and overpopulation issues, I don't think it's going to help whether the GDP growth is in high figures like 8% or 11%.  They need to get in front and confront these, however hard the first few steps would be.
For starters lets give more idependence to women. Give them the freedom of choice of education, career, family. Only then will majority of the women have a say in determining family size , preventing overpopulation and also of alleviating poverty .

Angie, the worry is, half of the women in India would NEVER know how to properly use their independence!

I think the worry is more deep than that. It is not to give women more independence. It is: which women of the society to give more independence?

Crimson_Sky

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 5:53am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 09 December 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Crimson_Sky

Yes, I understand you. Thanks! Wink

But the thing is, over populationa and under population are both bad things.

Depends on how you handle them if you ask me! They may be bad things when they are out of control, but how about when the government is able to control the numbers, even if they go beyond the estimated values? I think what India truly needs is one good authority, capable of controlling these numbers in the right way, because you can only bring something back to the track by actually going out to focus on controlling it in the first instance.

You know, as a person with some ECONOMICS background, I can say that our big business would definately prefer a growing economy. They would ofcourse want a RICH growing economy, something which is a very distant wish to be fulfilled.

I don't think so, in fact, I feel India already has a RICH growing economy. The worry is, as it is in most developing countries. 95% or more, of the country's wealth, lies in a much much significantly small minority's bank accounts, or other assets. The problem is not really having the wealth or riches in hand, on the contrary, that they already have; the worry is the distribution of this wealth around the entire country and its population. The worry is not whether they have funds or not to erase these problems gradually, we all know they have, or can create at the very least; the worry is whether they will do so in the right way, whether they will even try to eradicate these long pending, complex problems.

As Indians become more and more spread throughout the world (some of the world's major minorities are Indians ... i.e. outside India) ... its good for local Indian businesses to go global.

True. But I think individually it is very difficult. Come on, we live in a competitive world, you can't expect 100 Indians to come in developed countries and start businesses or try to sell even their businesses there. Perhaps 5 of the 100 would succeed, and I literally mean succeed, in this way. The idea should be for the government to promote these services. What you can do through authorities is significantly better, at least for a start, compared to what you can do single-handedly. Now obviously, whether the developed nations would welcome this move, that is a debatable question in itself! Which government, even if it is President Obama's, would want another country to go multiplying it GDP growth each year and overtake you in wealth before you know it? You got the answer: None! So going global is good. But depending head and tails on only that is going to get you nowhere. Another economic crisis and you'll be back to square one. The reason why India and China 'became richer' during the crisis is because they depended solely on themselves.

When the world's populations is on the decline, South Asian people seems to increase their numbers 10 folds of more...each time. Some books even say that soon oneday ... in every country ... a South Asian will either the substantial minority. largest minority, or simply the majority. Is this good or bad? Think.

Depends on how you look at it. The one thing that would change hands is Power. But isn't that predicted to happen anyway? With, or without overpopulation, aren't China and India said to be overtaking the States in 40 if not 20 years? So either way, overpopulation or not, aren't we talking of a change in power? Now think!

And as for the lack of skill and literacy ... THESE ARE OUT MAIN ENEMIES. Something positive might even someday appear from our catastrophic population BOOM ... but nothing good can come out of our ILLITERACY ... and lack of skills ....

Illiteracy I'll go with you for sure. But I disagree with the part when you talk of lack of skill. India has NO lack of skill, I repeat myself, absolutely NO lack of skill. Heck, perhaps they have more talent than the whole of Europe put together, or perhaps not, I am just going for an estimation. But what I want to say is, the problem, once again, is where, how and when these skills are utilized, and obviously, by whom! Again, the worry of finding authorities capable of giving each person their due right, again the worry of the distribution of power!

As for the topic: The female member of the house must move ahead of the rat race ... or the society will be without a soul. Its just my thought...

Who said she shouldn't? Obviously she should. I'd outright slap the guy who'd come and ask me to leave my job for marriage otherwise he wouldn't marry. That's the spirit Indian women need. But for that, if you ask me, it's not the women that need education, specially in those lost villages. It's the men!!! You need to teach those men how important it for their wives to be self-sustaining, not for freedom or any crap that follows, but to be able to give THEIR children a decent meal 3 times a day if something were to happen to him. Education for the woman yes, but don't you think it's high time they also consider the possibility that before the woman, it's the man in a house that needs education? Because whether we like it or not, admit it or not, at least for 500 years from now, in India or anywhere in the world, men would still have an higher say in any matter. It's just meant to be so. So, instead of targeting protestation from the Indian women for their rights, why can't we think of ulterior, better solutions for the betterment of the country whilst they get their freedom as well?

Crimson_Sky

Posted: 10 December 2009 at 10:58pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 December 2009 at 11:19pm | IP Logged

Crimson_Sky

Posted: 10 December 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 December 2009 at 11:40pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top