Punjabi Channel

y is it necessary for punjabis' to hav a put(son)?

Jugni.G thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

u guys might be wondering why did i suddenly open up such a topic.Well because my cousin gave birth to her 3rd daughter and her saas is cryn as pta ni ki hogeya hunda ah..as she expected it will be a 'putt' this time. She kept sayng "Sadi kismaat hi maari a"..and thts wat was pissng me off.

yeah so y do u think its important for punjabis' to hav sons?...is it just because they will continue da family and a son will be living with them forever while tiyan will go to their in-laws..!ok fine if thts the reason but atleast dont cry when u have a 2nd or 3rd daughter.Because we are much better than sonss.I think a daughter will never let down her parents, but some sons do.

So what u think wats the differences btw a daugher and a son.??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~*manai*~ thumbnail
this is a very touchy subject to some.... but i think some people would want sons because they can carry on the family's name.... though i think both sons and daughters are equal.... i have seen most purane zamane buriyan burre (old people) perfer sons because they think girls are a burden and that girls become trouble..... i do feel sad for people who think this way
simran1285 thumbnail
I agree with Manai. My mother was very unhappy with my birth though she already had a son, she wanted another one because she felt that daughters are a burden. We were poor then (in the 80's) hence she was worried about my marriage and dowry, but it is ironic now because I ended up being the most independent and most educated girl in the entire family. I have been supporting myself since I was 16 and even buy things for my parents. My aunts are always telling my mom how lucky she is to have a daughter like me and how unfortunate they are to have sons who do not even bother with their parents welfare.

So, I think it's just the nusance that daughters are burdens. It's sad because you are right, daughters are sometimes better than the sons. I had a similar situation at my house when my Bhabhi was preggers with a 4th girl (they aborted) the entire family kept blaming the girl when it's the man who decides the sex of the baby, illeterate people you see, don't know anything.
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
In my family, my parents look at me and my brother equally

but i have heard tonss of people whine for a son

like i know this lady who has 6 daughters...ranging from ages 17 to almost 1

^what do you think they're aiming for haha

& i dont think its just punjabi's who want a son
thats just a stereotype...its actually most indians πŸ˜†

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: simran1285

My aunts are always telling my mom how lucky she is to have a daughter like me and how unfortunate they are to have sons who do not even bother with their parents welfare.

thats usually the case πŸ˜†

So, I think it's just the nusance that daughters are burdens. It's sad because you are right, daughters are sometimes better than the sons. I had a similar situation at my house when my Bhabhi was preggers with a 4th girl (they aborted) the entire family kept blaming the girl when it's the man who decides the sex of the baby, illeterate people you see, don't know anything.

So truee!
guys are stupid >(
they're the ones that cant get sons and they blame the  woman all the time 😑

i know this family who has the eldest daughter and 2 younger sons
they made the daughter leave school to work with them in family business i think... and got her married to some rich druggie guy at age 18. --Divorce--

Now she finished her studies and got a job at microsoft and is happily married to two sons and both are making good money.

a look at the sons & family after she left :D

Business failedπŸ˜†
Mom's in depression
Both sons are freakin spoiled
One of them got arrested for a hit and run
& neither of them care for the parents

I think daughters are the ones that care more for their parents than the sons....daughters take care of the family more :D
πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by Jess. - 14 years ago
rainydays. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I asked my mom once that. She said something about carrying on the family name but i think that's just dumb. I mean, girl are equal to guys and there isn't much difference.I know some people that are more proud of their daughters than their sons. I guess some people just gotta realize that their both equal
Jugni.G thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Jess- i hav like a similar story ,which my mom told,tht this lady she had 5 daughters and she prayed n did lots of things like ate medicine for a son n all tht..n yea finaly she had a son,,,!!!!! then later when he grew up he was a druggie n got caught for selln thm here in hong kong,,n that same lady who was prayn n all that  for a son said
'' edeyto changa mera koi put hi na hunda"..
P.S well yeah i agree that its supposed to be indians not only punjabis [:

@ Ravjot,,yeah the only reason for wanting a son is about carrying on da family name,,but they actually dont know how precious daughters are cuz she's da one who listen to the 'dukh sukh' for her family., though some sons are very nice but see they wont actually understand moms nor mothers will tell them the things she can tell us!

simran1285 thumbnail
I agree with all of you. There are so many stories and facts that prove that daughters are better and it's not just in India. I knew this one Pakistani lady who was so proud of her 2 sons and would boast about their achievements. Today both her sons are married and live separately and refuse to give her any money, though she is a handicap. Now she sews clothes and had her younger daughter go out and get a job at 16 so she could support herself.

Talk about sons! I have a bag full of stories where the sons have basically shown parents the finger and it's the girl who has finally stepped up.

I don't understand this theory about "the name" I mean for godsakes when you are long dead will it matter whether your name is going on? What if your only grandson has only daughters, what are you going to throw him a boy from heaven so your name can continue? what BS!!
Edited by simran1285 - 14 years ago
~*manai*~ thumbnail
i am thankful to know that in my family girls are valued the same as boys. like in my family my parents let us go out and stuff like they do my brother.... i think this is just illiterate unpaar purane zamaane burri burre thinking as time passes and people are being more educated i hope this thinking too will diminish
-Navi- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I think in our generation and our parents are more educated now and don't believe in this type of "crap" I think we're sensible and now where we stand in society. And girls are the lights of their houses they are the "sir de taaj" for their fathers, they are the ones who make their fathers stand proud!! I think now days in fact people want girls....I don't think in the year 2009 soon to be 2010 that people should have this thinking....accept it, because its god's gift!!! And kids are another "roop" of god....so whether it be a girl or a boy accept it...because its your blood!!!!!!!