Debate Mansion

do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
but isnt it weird and unsettling.....not to know which ONE country to be loyal to????

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by the_Naked_face

I am loyal to the land that gives me education, place to live in, food to survive on, friends to support me through thick and thin....the place that actually makes me. People often question which is more important, a biological mother that gives only birth to you or to the mother that brings life to the birth and brings you up.  I believe in the latter. India is the mother land that gave birth to my parents but they adapted in living in UK and i was brought up in Glasgow thus this makes UK more important to me and i am more loyal to this country and love it more.  Nevertheless i also love India, since thats where my family began from and is now growing in and exploiting other parts of countries beside India.

And yeah i watch Indian reality serials since my mum watches them and you tend to follow what your elders do eh?LOL.... i hate the indian daily serials since they are far from true and dont actually reflect  the  true Indian culture. The protagonist always seems to be suffering and crying which is quite depressing to watch and not to mention boring. I like reality shows of simple, ordinary people not transformation from rags to riches.

Xoxo

thanx for sharing ur views.........i always said u can be loyal in the patriotic sense to only ONE nation.....

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

but isnt it weird and unsettling.....not to know which ONE country to be loyal to????

Why do we only have to be loyal to one country? It's like asking someone "Do you like your father better or your mother?" Why can people love and be loyal to more than one country?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 1:02pm | IP Logged

I wasnt enquiring about cultural identities- i asking about loyalty to the nation- the country ur proud of , the flag u hold in pride, the national anthem u sing proudly.

even though u may be of mixed ethnicity, u can be LOYAL to ANY ONE nation only.

Loyalty is  a very subjective term. Its not easy to be loyal to just one and only one country. Its like asking a mother which of her children she loves more. With the world being a smaller place, most people have dual, even triple or quadruple identities. Countries realize that, that is why dual citizenship or even more (in some cases) are offered so that a person can pledge their allegiance to more than one nation.

I explained that cultural and ethnic identities depend on the individual and what they feel is an important part of them.

However, to speak of national loyalty.

If you are the citizen of a country. If you expect to receive citizenship rights and exercise them. If you enjoy the privileges being a citizen offers than it is your duty to pledge allegiance to that country. If you cannot be proud to be a citizen, hold that flag in pride or sing the anthem - then you do not deserve citizenship and you ought to relinquish rights. You can do this for two or more nations because different nations does not always mean conflict of interest. Similarly, I feel that even permanent residents who live in a country for income may not be full citizens - but they still have a duty to respect and adhere to local laws and spirit and must leave if they cannot do so. At the same time You can feel love for a country without being citizen because it is where you were born or its a country your parents identify with or its your ethnicity, it is not always a conflict of interest.

Conflict of interest arises if two countries are actually against each other or in a state of war. But it is not a clear black and white matter, its actually quiet delicate.I think one can still critique their country or oppose some aspects of their country and still be loyal. One can see both sides of a coin, without being disloyal The question of disloyalty comes when you will jeopardize or betray one nation over another or commit treason.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess...RamKiJanaki..

P1nk

IF-Dazzler

P1nk

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged

Like Im In love with England but cheating on India. LOL

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged

Its a cultural thing. I am born in India and spent 3/4 of my early years there only and I rarely watched those serials, does that make me any less Indian? No, right. Same with those born here, all my cousins born and brought up here identify themselves as Americans and they don't watch any of these serials either. But they watch bollywood movies, mostly because of romance, fancy indian dresses and nice dance moves and because thats what their parents\grandparents like to watch at times.

I still remember giving the DVD of kuchh kuchh hota hai to my American friend (whose mom is British and Dad is American) and he hated it but he really enjoys the old Indian movies and most times get them for me, movies like hum kisi se kam nai, sri420 etc. Does that make him a 40 plus Indian? ha, he is just 26 and far from being an Indian.

Edited by gumsum - 29 November 2009 at 8:29pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Fair-n-luvly

Post Reply New Post

Go to top