Debate Mansion

do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 6

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 6
Page 4 Page 6

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 7:43am | IP Logged
Totally, I don't think wearing a particular type of clothes, watching some Bollywood movies, or putting on some sindoor LOL is going to make you desi in any way, or for the matter of fact, not doing any of those make you western. I also think Sarina put it up really well, you've go to figure it out individually first.

And then, I've never been a blind believer of anything except love perhaps really... My mum always has had trouble with my "Why"s, still has actually! LOL At then end anyway, you may try pretending a lot of things, what you are inside will finally be shown anyway...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

P1nk

IF-Dazzler

P1nk

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

No matter where a person is born, he/she will belong to the culture/ethnicity of his/her parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. You cannot convince a white American that you too are American even if you were born and raised in America, because generations and generations of your family did not live there.

Distance and the place you are living in is nothing; if your ancestors were Indians, then you too are an Indian at heart, no matter what culture you choose to adopt.

As for Indian serials, believe me, I've seen some of my American friends become interested by them and glued to the screen despite not knowing the language. They just have a certain charm that has nothing to do with being Indian.Wink

That Is true, our roots will always be desi.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

MeghaSRKLover

IF-Sizzlerz

MeghaSRKLover

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sneha0601

Totally, I don't think wearing a particular type of clothes, watching some Bollywood movies, or putting on some sindoor LOL is going to make you desi in any way, or for the matter of fact, not doing any of those make you western. I also think Sarina put it up really well, you've go to figure it out individually first.

And then, I've never been a blind believer of anything except love perhaps really... My mum always has had trouble with my "Why"s, still has actually! LOL At then end anyway, you may try pretending a lot of things, what you are inside will finally be shown anyway...
ROFLROFLROFL
i agree, my roots are desi but im comfortable as i am Big smile

-Sneha

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged
but the thing is- i often het boggled by the idea that how can anyone identify themselves as belonging to two different countries at the same time.

i appreciate the answers from all those who said that for them their home country is their identity, and of those ones also who said that they will always remain loyal to their roots.......

personally, i think we can be PATRIOTICALLY LOYAL to only ONE nation at a lifetime, and that what i wanted to ask-

UR HOME COUNTRY OR ANCESTRAL LAND?WHICH NATION ARE U PATRIORICALLY LOYAL TO?

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

You don't have to totally give up one part of your culture to adopt another one.  Best would be to find the good balance between both the cultures.  Worst is adopting shortcomings of both the culture.  Staying purely desi or becoming purely viseshi would be any day better over worst of both the worlds.

We are very desi as a family but we don't watch the hindi serials or excessive bollywood movies.  What would that make us Unhappy

I wasnt enquiring about cultural identities- i asking about loyalty to the nation- the country ur proud of , the flag u hold in pride, the national anthem u sing proudly.

even though u may be of mixed ethnicity, u can be LOYAL to ANY ONE nation only.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 11:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

..RamKiJanaki..

krystal_watz

IF-Sizzlerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged

Originally posted by krystal_watz

I wasnt enquiring about cultural identities- i asking about loyalty to the nation- the country ur proud of , the flag u hold in pride, the national anthem u sing proudly.

hmmm....that's a tricky one for me.  If it is b/w US and some country other than India - I'll root for the US.  If it ever comes to a point where US and India are locking horns - then there are two different scenarios - if it is some lame contest like Ms Universe, I really don't care who amongst the two win.  God forbid if it ever comes to a war between these two nations.  I'll be totally torn between the two - crying for the losses on both sides and no matter who wins - I'll feel like I lost.  That, I think, is the hardest thing for any first generation immigrant unless one country is clearly on the wrong side. 

EXACTLY. this is what ive opened this topic for.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by krystal_watz

hmmm....that's a tricky one for me.  If it is b/w US and some country other than India - I'll root for the US.  If it ever comes to a point where US and India are locking horns - then there are two different scenarios - if it is some lame contest like Ms Universe, I really don't care who amongst the two win.  God forbid if it ever comes to a war between these two nations.  I'll be totally torn between the two - crying for the losses on both sides and no matter who wins - I'll feel like I lost.  That, I think, is the hardest thing for any first generation immigrant unless one country is clearly on the wrong side. 

Yeah, that's how I'd feel too. I feel loyal to both America and India too much to take one's side. :( But whatever happens, I'll always be both an Indian and American so that's what counts for me. I probably would stand neutral if ever a war happened and support neither side.

Jess.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top