Debate Mansion

do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

P1nk

IF-Dazzler

P1nk

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged
I am stuck in the middle, but im 70% british. I love my fish &  chips with HP sauce.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "do u think second-generation indians should ???/ (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged
I am a Mauritian first, and will always remain so. I was born and brought up over here. So, practically speaking, it's not like there is another choice for me. Also, round here, ethnicity is really hardly given any importance, if you see what I mean, because since it's discovery, almost everyone who's been on the island have ancestors that have immigrated to the country; whether from India, China, Europe or African maroon countries. So basically speaking, there's no one actually from the country itself from the first generation.  In such a case, what they do differentiate on over here, is religion.

Mauritius has always been a multi-cultural society, so they hardly discriminate for job applications, school applications and everything else on this basis. Oh yeah though, if you are the Minister's son, then for sure you are at an advantage! LOL

At home though, I've been brought up by Indian parents. My dad was born over here too, but he practically grew up over there only. As for my mother, she still has her Indian passport even after 18 years over here. She refuses to change that, for obvious reasons. Just recently, she accepted slowly to fill in the dual citizenship form...  So you can guess what my mum thinks we all are, at heart or not! LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Jess.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 10:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

We are very desi as a family but we don't watch the hindi serials or excessive bollywood movies.  What would that make us Unhappy

Not addicted to drama. LOL Although I implore you to watch more Bollywood at least.

Personally being desi is a state of mind and heart. I don't think its in what you watch, what you wear or what you eat. It is something you feel within yourself. Some people can pretend as much as they want to be connected with desi culture, but they give a very fake aura. And sometimes you meet just another average western living type of person but can be delighted at the desi soul within.

Another problem I think is too many people focus on figuring if they are desi or western. What they really should focus on is who they are? Find out who you are as an individual what makes your heart beat, once you know who you really are as an individual - everything falls in place and all questions of how desi or western you should be will also get answered. Search within your soul, all answers are there - no one can tell you how you ought to be.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-SnehaJess...RamKiJanaki..

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

-Sneha

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 November 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged
Oh G-Unit you are far from being confused. I know that. Too many people equate being desi to just watching desi stuff.

-Sneha

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged
No matter where a person is born, he/she will belong to the culture/ethnicity of his/her parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. You cannot convince a white American that you too are American even if you were born and raised in America, because generations and generations of your family did not live there.

Distance and the place you are living in is nothing; if your ancestors were Indians, then you too are an Indian at heart, no matter what culture you choose to adopt.

As for Indian serials, believe me, I've seen some of my American friends become interested by them and glued to the screen despite not knowing the language. They just have a certain charm that has nothing to do with being Indian.Wink

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 November 2009 at 6:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by Gauri_3

We are very desi as a family but we don't watch the hindi serials or excessive bollywood movies.  What would that make us Unhappy

Not addicted to drama. LOL Although I implore you to watch more Bollywood at least.

Personally being desi is a state of mind and heart. I don't think its in what you watch, what you wear or what you eat. It is something you feel within yourself. Some people can pretend as much as they want to be connected with desi culture, but they give a very fake aura. And sometimes you meet just another average western living type of person but can be delighted at the desi soul within.

Another problem I think is too many people focus on figuring if they are desi or western. What they really should focus on is who they are? Find out who you are as an individual what makes your heart beat, once you know who you really are as an individual - everything falls in place and all questions of how desi or western you should be will also get answered. Search within your soul, all answers are there - no one can tell you how you ought to be.

Well said.Clap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top