Krishnaluv94 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Batman and Joker. They truly are soulmates. Loved it
Thanks for the PM!
-Aria- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
Few lines into the first update, I wasn't sure what to expect. It felt like a fresh start in many ways. And not exactly DT like to be honest but I still enjoyed it a lot. Reminded me of this city and a park in particular, and its homeless wanderers - the usual band as described in your update seeking refuge within its palm grooves. 

Somehow, DT for me is synonymous with more layers...and literally a visual imagery of a dark, desolate chasm in your soul...and somewhere a resignation to it all. This one was seemed different despite the end or the underlying idea...because although change is hard sometimes all it takes is one flame to ignite...that sweeping wave... all is not lost.

Welcome back to this thread S!

anu.happy4ever thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Loved it! First i was wondering what the title Soulmates was doing in a place like DT , but as the plot went on I realised how perfect the title is for them. It is true in any story...without a villian, a hero is never born :D 

And, I love Batman comics, films, cartoons...anything! ðŸ˜³
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I don't know what brought this on... but it's all encoded.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2mbGP6vFI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
Escapist thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Both the updates were wonderful...and loved every bit of them...
And the latter one..gosh I was soul mates n dark...what has this gotta do...well I got my answer at the end...Batman n Joker now that was really an unusual pick but they truly r soul mates...one is incomplete without the other, the world needs both black n white..n it justified DT to the core...

Keep Writing :)

Take Care,
F
-Sookie- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

28. Gravity of the gallows

Everyone knew he did what he had to do because it was a job; a job like teacher or a carpenter. But the looks of scorn from the affected family managed to churn his insides. The profession was much needed like any other in the society, his father had told him when he tearfully rejected the notion of continuing the family profession.

She had come from the north where snow was generous and sunshine was treasured. Her cheeks were naturally rosy hued but had turned deep crimson when she saw him for the first time – the day of their wedding. They traveled that night to the south where he belonged.

There was a job that had to be done the next morning.

It took her three days to find out what her husband did for a living. Her father hadn't thought it was important information for her to know. The neighbors spared her looks of pity while few of the onlookers had narrowed their eyes at her. At the well, women whispered; few laughed at her while many simply shook their head.

On the third morning she knew why.

She walked around the lanes which she was familiar with when a hurried whisper reached her eyes.

"It's the key maker!" A woman said as she walked in front of her with hurried steps. The young bride looked around her, confused.

"What he do?" A man asked the woman. The new bride stretched her neck to hear the response.

"He stole from the gardens of the richest man of this town," the woman whispered.

"What did he steal?" The new bride asked before she could stop herself. The man and the woman who were conversing turned back in surprise at the new voice that interrupted their conversation.

"He stole apples," the woman replied giving the new bride once over.  "He will be punished now," the woman added after realizing that the young girl in front of her looked fairly harmless.

"What will be the punishment?" She asked the woman as they started walking towards a destination the young woman didn't know of.

"An unfair one," the man grumbled under his breath.

"May I come with you?" The new bride isn't sure the customs of the new place. The woman smiled warmly in reply.

They arrived at the gathering in market place where the key maker lay in chains – tired, humiliated and beaten. The new bride saw his family dressed in black standing few feet away from the stage.

She gasped when she realized what she was about to witness.

Death wasn't new to her land and she had seen a fair share of it.

But death as a spectacle was completely foreign to her.

She had heard about it from people in her village had travelled far and wide and told her stories about gallows and guillotines. And now, she was about to witness an execution for the first time in her life.

The entire market place was bursting with hushes of whispers, sniffles and sound of injustice. She carefully hid behind the woman and the man hoping that the ordeal would end soon. She didn't know why she had come but a compelling reason unknown to her seemed to beckon her.

She felt bile rising up her throat as she felt sick about the thought of watching someone die as "fascinating". She wheezed as she felt the wind knockout of her lungs when the key maker was made to stand under gallows.

And then she understood the looks of pity, sympathy, apathy, and disdain was so casually thrown at her.

The man who held the noose in his hand was none other than her husband.

He was the executioner – the man who put the noose around the convict's neck and performs the job of execution.

A part of the crowd yells at the key maker while his family cries out in open. She watches the family, the key maker and her husband one after other.

A strong bond between the three seems to exist and the thought sends chills of hopelessness in her spine. At the same moment she meets the eye of her husband. At first there is surprise, closely followed by shock. And then apprehension follows.

Shame is the only thing that remains in his eye for a long time.

When it's time, shame is replaced by responsibility.

Execution is complete and so is her phylogeny in the new society.

The key maker hangs in midair while she collapses on the ground.

Gallows stand unperturbed at the dichotomy.

Sookie

ninand thumbnail
Yeh.. I want PM's on this... will start on this thread probably on the weekend though..  looks damn interesting. Thanks Sooks.
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
R! for my fav! affair with death...

<Edit>

I have always wondered, what kind of people carry out a job of an executioner, which out being affected by it. I guess a job is a job and shame is overshadowed by responsibility. There must be some psychological make up needed to be able to kill another human being, the one who lack empathy have no trouble doing the job. Though I would have loved to read more on the "life-of-an-executioner"... just a thought! :)

I truly feel sorry for the bride, as she will have to live day-and-night with a man, who kills for living! The soul who brings the bread to the table is Satan in disguise!

Sooks, brilliant take!

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
awesooome...
ur simply a fab writer...
add me too...
thanx for the pm...
take care...