Page 2 Page 4

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 16 November 2009 at 11:34pm | IP Logged

Image: Barack Obama and Japan Emperor Akihito

Obama's bow in Japan sparks some criticism

Conservative commentators accuse president of groveling to foreign leader

WASHINGTON - Some American conservative commentators are seizing on President Barack Obama's deep bow to Japan's emperor during the weekend, accusing the U.S. commander in chief of groveling to a foreign leader.

Obama greeted Emperor Akihito, whose father ruled when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, with a simultaneous handshake and nearly 90-degree bow, sparking furious online commentary, much of it negative.

Obama's gesture on Saturday was not without precedent, however. Neither was the outrage.

Frankly I see nothing wrong in being respectful to others.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "OBama's Bow in Japan- criticized." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

whynot

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 12:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by whynot

I feel that the president chose a certain way of addressing another person which was from the other person's culture rather than his. I do not see this as grovelling and feel that such criticism is unjustified. Yes it is not grovelling but part of normal Japanese culture.
Maybe those who are criticising him feel that Obama represents all of America, and hence what he chooses to say or do should owe more thought to that representation, ie he can or cannot do some things that he may do as an individual not representing a country. For eg, there may be remarks that an individual makes which are derogatory about another religion or culture, which only reflect the person's limited understanding. But when a politician or a post holder makes them, they become incendiary and could ignite resentment and even violence.
However, I feel that this is not the case here and he is not being subservient, only thoughtful.
Agreed. Frankly I like the Japanese culture of bowing down and greeting each other. It is quite fun and also  customary. Japanese business people these days are pretty honest and reliable based on our dealings. They are also very careful and demand the highest quality of finishes. Once these products are manufactured in other countries the standard drops drastically.

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:39am | IP Logged
The commander in chief of USA. Anyways summerjee, your avi is not going with ur imageDisapprove

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by gumsum

The commander in chief of USA. Anyways summerjee, your avi is not going with ur imageDisapprove

My Avi of Aamir ? Oh I used it because he acted well in Ghajini.
Okay will change it.

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Okay will change it.
He looks old nowadaysOuch.

Its too late for me and my milk is over too. gnight guysSleepy.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Summer3

Okay will change it.
He looks old nowadaysOuch.

Its too late for me and my milk is over too. gnight guysSleepy.
Ah there is nothing wrong in aging gracefully. No one wants to hang around on earth too long.LOL

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:30am | IP Logged
theres no end t criticism nor is there any escape. Even Sachin tendulkar was criticised for saying he is proud to be a maharatrian but hes 1st an indian & that mumbai is part of india ! Cant C why thackrey Sr found that objectionable.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

angelic_devilslumgod.Jess.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top