Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 15 November 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged
I love my Church, and I'm a Catholic who was raised by intellectuals, who were very devout. I was raised to believe that you could question the Church and still be a Catholic. What is worthy of satire is the misuse of religion for destructive or political gains. That's totally different from the Word, the blood, the body and the Christ. His kingdom is not of this earth. - Steve Colbert on being a Catholic and satiring the church

Religion makes sense to me. I have trouble with dogma more than I have trouble with religion. I think the best thing religion does is give people a sense of place, purpose, and compassion. My quibble with it is when it's described as the only way to have those things instilled. You can be moral and not be religious, you can be compassionate, you can be empathetic—you can have all those wonderful qualities. When it begins to be judged as purely based on religion, then you're suggesting a world where Star Jones goes to heaven but Gandhi doesn't.

Like anything else that's that powerful—that is touching that deep into the epicenter of the human psyche and our fears, it can be misused. I'm probably much more responsive in a bad way to dogma and to extremism than to religion.

When people say things like, "I found God and that helped me stop drinking," I say, "Great! More power to you. Just know that some people stop drinking without it." It's when it gets into the realm of "This is the only way to salvation"—that's when I think, "Okay, now we're getting into a problem."

- Jon Stewart

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Sneha

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is religion (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 November 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gumsum

Originally posted by Summer3

Yes I quite agree that there has been on over emphasis on religious differences rather than similarities which is more important. Spiritiual self satisfaction is most important to earn peace and goodness. I have always liked the fact that there are so many religions. There is nothing worse then people peddling different religions or threatening people and misrepresenting God. It is most important that in practising any religion we do not harm others. Religion should also not be used as an excuse for being lazy.

How do you achieve that spiritual satisfaction? Is it important to follow a predefined set of beliefs or you go on inventing your own?

Generally we start off by wanting material goods in order to satisfy our worldly desires; after a while we may get tired of it and want something more meaningful and lasting. Yes certain spiritual paths, practices etc are recommended and often after fumbling and learning along the way we get a better insight into things and understand the relationship between Man, God and the universe. Logical sequence has been us intitially gaining Self Satisfacton which then leads to Self Sacrifice and then Self Realisation. Pantajali's eightfold yoga path gives a broad definition but it is meant for persons who has reached a certain level understanding because it starts off by saying that we should have the quality of goodness and also contol our senses; basically to achieve concentration and meditation we need to purify our minds so that there are no distractions.

Reading of some good books is also very useful, especially the lives of saints, sages and teachers. After a while even reading of too much such books are discouraged as it may remain only book knowledge, so application of the lessons learnt in our daily lives is recommended.

As to predefined set of beliefs I would say that there are no hard and fast rules. But we should not bend the rules for our own selfish purposes of taking advantage of others.

Edited by Summer3 - 15 November 2009 at 8:27pm

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 15 November 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
I believe present generation is in a special situation.... the old religions have lost their grip , their credibility slowly, and the new religion has not yet arrived so there is a gap. and man cannot live without religion, it is impossible.... religion is such a need....cos everything related with that men made instituation....So if the true is not available, the false becoms prevalent, the false becomes a substitute....A real religion should be unconditioned, unhypnotized...and It is going beyond mind, beyond ideology...Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

gumsum

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 November 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

I believe present generation is in a special situation.... the old religions have lost their grip , their credibility slowly, and the new religion has not yet arrived so there is a gap. and man cannot live without religion, it is impossible.... religion is such a need....cos everything related with that men made instituation....So if the true is not available, the false becoms prevalent, the false becomes a substitute....A real religion should be unconditioned, unhypnotized...and It is going beyond mind, beyond ideology...Smile

Just saw this.

Seven great myths of organized religion: A closer look

Over the centuries, billions of people have fallen prey to religion run amok. How many Jews and Gypsies suffered in Nazi concentration camps while churches in Germany turned their heads? How many people were murdered in the Crusades during the middle ages–in the name of God?

Some religious leaders seem to tell us that we're not smart enough or good enough to discover God on our own. Who says? If God is good and perfect, why is there so much evil and suffering in the world? How can anyone rely on the Bible for answers, if it's just a loose translation of ancient myths anyway?
  • How can we trust a religion that has advocated slavery and the subjugation of women throughout history?

These are serious questions-hot potatoes that nobody wants to touch. So I wrote a 7-day course called "The Seven Great Lies of Organized Religion."

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:33am | IP Logged
I want to respond in depth to what I read here but I am brain-dead. Well not quite as I know what I want to write, its just that am feeling lazy todayErmm

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 2:11am | IP Logged

I want to respond in depth to what I read here but I am brain-dead. Well not quite as I know what I want to write, its just that am feeling lazy todayErmm
Gumsum time for more walnuts and milk.
good night.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 4:00am | IP Logged

Ok Brain-wash karke aavo...Wink

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 17 November 2009 at 7:40am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top