Debate Mansion

Synchronization Theory (McClintock Effect) (Page 12)

Post Reply New Post

Page 12 of 15

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Synchronization Theory (McClintock Effect) (Page 12)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 18 November 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Can't help it Souro - I  pictured you PMsing ROFL LOL  Should explain some of the mood swings one catches via writing style at DM every now and thenLOL
You mean my writing style changes every now and then??Ermm Umm... maybe, I'm not really aware of it.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2009 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 12:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tetuty66

Originally posted by gumsum

Originally posted by karandel_2008

Sometimes either kids get married too soon or they dont decifer the meaning of no PMS in the inbox.
I know at least some (may not be many) cases, back in India (some years ago).

I remember once a girl asked me if she would kiss her BF she wouldnt get pregnant?LOLgod!!
Ok...that was long time back....

Are you laughing at meConfused, seriously I had similar doubts until I read human biology carefullyLOL

kahi wo tum to nahi thi?...LOL
LOL..joking!!...

good that you are jokingAngryAngryAngry, I keep my ignorant self to only myselfEmbarrassed

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged

Originally posted by gumsum

I never knew when my mom was having her periods and I never bothered to tell my mom since I turn 18. so no idea.

Shocked
Werent your parents worried?....LOL
Oh my mom still comes to know due to my excessive mood swings and change in eating habit.....Wink
Well I can say when young girls first have it....
its damn irritating...and surely one gives away from behaviour that hormone magic  has arrived...LOL

Why would they be worriedConfused its not that it started at 18. n no not all young gals have mood swings, at least not me, knock on wood its been ok so far n I did not even realize when it happen for the first time, my friend told me at school n it was the most embarrasing moment of my lifeEmbarrassed

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 12:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by karandel_2008

@all the previous posts: yes mood swings are some of the signs. Sometimes I can also tell, about some of my  friends,  because they become slightly lovey dovey and look slightly tired.

@ bold
Reallly.....LOL
Well not in my case!
tired...Yes!Ouch

Yah, some of my friends take time off and some who come, look so lost they I can tell pretty easily. In my case, I feel very very tired half a day before it is coming n I know its time but once it comes, I am my usual self.

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:55am | IP Logged
In XX century was discover the phenomenon where in the menstrual cycles of women living in close quarters tend to synchronize. This phenomenon has been observed in women living together. It has been found in room-mates, close friends, lesbian couples and most strongly between mothers and daughters. It has also been noted in mice, hamsters and rats. It as suggested that Ovulation (process of releasing egg from ovary) is socially regulated and this lead to what is called menstrual synchronicity (McClintock effect).Smile

Synchronized periods known as the McClintock effect, also known as menstrual synchrony or the dormitory effect, is a theory that proposes that the menstrual cycles of women who live together (such as in prisons, convents, bordellos, or dormitories) tend to become synchronized over time.Smile

It is thought to be analogous to the Whitten effect, which is the synchronization of the estrous cycle and has been noted in small animals such as mice and guinea pigs. In contrast to the Whitten effect, which is driven by male pheromones, the McClintock effect is postulated to have only female pheromonal involvement.Tongue

The phenomenon about women synchronized periods was called as the McClintock effect for the author of the first article to discuss the phenomenon, Menstrual Synchrony and Suppression, by Martha McClintock, which appeared in Nature in 1971. It seems she was at a conference where the phenomenon of synchronized ovulation in mice was broached. Ms. McClintock commented that the same thing happened in human females as well, as evidenced in dormitory life. While at first wary of the assertion, the scientists challenged her, as an undergraduate, to address the issue scientifically. McClintock did just that when she pursued the topic for her senior thesis at Wellesley and then published it when she was working on her graduate degree at Harvard.Tongue
This was the first paper to suggest any operation of pheromones in humans. While it did not definitively prove that pheromones were acting causally, it did offer tantalizing evidence. Further research by McClintock and others (Russell et al., 1980; Stern and McClintock, 1988; etc) did prove that it was pheromones causing the synchrony. Other studies have also found influences of male pheromones on women's menstrual cycles as well as evidence of female pheromones effecting men's hair growth.Tongue

C89Wink

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:52am | IP Logged
well it looks like its a small world where everything has a ripple effect & affects everything LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top