Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

-iPayal-

IF-Sizzlerz

-iPayal-

Posted: 10 November 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged

Hello People.

Okay, well..i watch lots of Indian TV and Movies.

Nowdays, with every movie/show that has a foreign-return in it, theyre always shown as being stuck up, rude, un-sanskared, and wearing exposing clothes. Someone who knows nothing of their homeland, whether id be India or Pakistan, have no knowledge of their country's past and are far from learning the language.

I wanted to know how much "truth" is in this stereotype, are those kids shown as they are, or is it exaggarated to an extend that, with the NRI label comes this image?

As a girl whose been brought up in abroad, i would say that thiis is totally false! Infact i would say that becasue were living so far from pur country, our parents pay extra attention to us so we dont drift away fromour values.

any opinions?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "BroghtUp in Abroad vs. In Homeland" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *payal_15*

Hello People.

Okay, well..i watch lots of Indian TV and Movies.

Nowdays, with every movie/show that has a foreign-return in it, theyre always shown as being stuck up, rude, un-sanskared, and wearing exposing clothes. Someone who knows nothing of their homeland, whether id be India or Pakistan, have no knowledge of their country's past and are far from learning the language.

I wanted to know how much "truth" is in this stereotype, are those kids shown as they are, or is it exaggarated to an extend that, with the NRI label comes this image?

As a girl whose been brought up in abroad, i would say that thiis is totally false! Infact i would say that becasue were living so far from pur country, our parents pay extra attention to us so we dont drift away fromour values.

any opinions?

Agree with you 1/2 and 1/2. I grew up in the US since the age of 2 though I've been born in India, and my parents took extra care of my siblings and me throughout our childhood and even now. Some of our relatives say my siblings and I are more traditional and "old fashioned" than some native Indians today. But it's also true that there are many who just don't care for their culture, or who's parents did not teach them any of their culturual values in foreign area, so both stereotypes are true at times. The scale doesn't tip only one way.

-iPayal-

IF-Sizzlerz

-iPayal-

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Hmm... so do you think that some people form abroad are like tis portrayed on indian TV, or does that hold true for some ppl from india as well?

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

chimuli

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged

-iPayal-

IF-Sizzlerz

-iPayal-

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by *payal_15*

Hmm... so do you think that some people form abroad are like tis portrayed on indian TV, or does that hold true for some ppl from india as well?

Don't go by how T.V. and movies portray NRIs.  Heck, they don't even portray the Indians living in India in a good light eitherLOL  Can't be forming opinions based on movies and t.v. serials.

its not just because of that, i think because of all these steroetypes, people are believing that this is what kids become if taken away from their country of originConfused

-iPayal-

IF-Sizzlerz

-iPayal-

Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

I guess TV shows are eating too much of our brains these days. LOL
I agreeLOL

I cannot imagine being born into a nation, but being forced to follow the traditions[s]/culture[s] of another. If the parents/guardians are so interested in  teaching their offspring about their motherland's value, why did they bring their children to abroad on the first place (unless there was an urgent need of it)? Yeh kaisi double standard hain? On one hand you would want your children to be "smart" and "modern" (which is why you are dragging them from the place where they were born), and on the other hand you want them to still remain truthful to their motherland, their desi cultures?

It's extremely difficult for anyone to follow the cultuyre of a place where they had never been. I already know of someone, who is having an extremely tough time adjusting to religious/cultural values of her motherland in a foreign country. She is not allowed to visit Halloween party, she is not allowed to wish her friends Mary Christmas, and yet she is forced to remain in the foreign country to be "modern and conservative" together.

Exactly! thats the issue most kids around here face. Being able to carry out your cuklture and traditions in a foreighn country is another story but not being able to attend any social events just because parents think we'll become modernized is soo exotic!
for example, some cant go to prom because parents think that all they do there is sex, drugs, sex, drink, sex!Dead

Post Reply New Post

Go to top