Nothing like 'Kurbaan' has been seen before- KJO

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

PCRocks

IF-Rockerz

PCRocks

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged

Nothing like 'Kurbaan' has been seen before, says Karan Johar

Karan Johar's upcoming "Kurbaan" is being likened to films on terror like "New York" and "Fanaa" but the filmmaker is no longer giving the straight-jacketed 'It's truly different' reply. He has instead left it to the audiences to find out if there are any similarities between the movies.

"That's because this isn't the first time that it's happening to a film coming from Dharma Productions. When 'Wake Up Sid' was being made, people asked whether it had any similarities to 'Lakshya'. Now when the movie has released and is finding so much appreciation, the same people are coming back and telling me that 'Oh, this one was so different'," Karan told IANS.

He has quite a few other examples -- "Kal Ho Naa Ho" was said to be a remake of "Anand" while "Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna" appeared to have its germ in "Silsila".

"And didn't all these 'germs' just disappear when the films released and talked their own language? See, the fact is that originality has always been the strength of Dharma Productions. We don't like to emulate other films.

"This is why I would rather talk about 'Kurbaan' and its so-called similarities after it is out in theatres. That's because by that time audiences would have seen the film and realised that 'Kurbaan' is a film about its own world," Karan said.

Directed by Rensil D'Silva, 'Kurbaan' stars Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor.

Asked about the film, Karan said: "There is very little that you can compare this film with any other Hindi films that you name. It's just that the protagonists are in a zone where terror is on the forefront.

"At 'Kurbaan', we are scratching the surface a little harder when it comes to global terrorism. We are dealing with an absolutely different tone and syntax."

He rues that audiences as well as filmmakers have started looking at every product suspiciously.

"The sad part is that whenever a new film comes, whether from my company or any other, we start believing that people are not really offering anything original. We start looking for inspirations and immediately draw a connect. This has happened time and again. It's so unfortunate that we have lost faith in originality," said Karan.

He is however happy that first time director Rensil D'Silva has brought in a different point of view in the film.

"'Kurbaan' is written by me but has taken a great dimension due to the virtue of Rensil's own point of view. This is something that comes across quite strongly in the film.

"Since he comes with a global thought process, it has penetrated into the narrative of the film as well. There is an intellectual look at the situation without any bias in the narrative. I can proudly declare that 'Kurbaan' isn't anything like what has been seen on celluloid before."

Also starring Vivek Oberoi, Om Puri, Kirron Kher and Dia Mirza in key roles, "Kurbaan" is set for a Nov 20 release.

Indo-Asian News Service

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

scorpio95

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Nothing like 'Kurbaan' has been seen before- KJO" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

anku-

IF-Sizzlerz

anku-

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged
Kurbaan is looking like a good movie so I hope such strong words of urs match up to the expectations of ppl.

And ahem, LOOOOOOL @ "See, the fact is that originality has always been the strength of Dharma Productions. We don't like to emulate other films."

DrModel

IF-Rockerz

DrModel

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged
^^^haha yes considering DP is making no bones about remaking stepmom But i do feel that in some ways he is right, wus was compared to lakshya before release, and even on this forum kurbaan has been compared to fanaa and NY numerous times and so has MNIK despite KJo screeching off rooftops about aspergers...
so he is right--time for the audiences to see for themselves, and as much as people may bash the guy, they too secretly want him to sign their favorites

cutykoo20

IF-Rockerz

cutykoo20

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged
kurbaan doesn't seemed interesting one

desigal90

IF-Stunnerz

desigal90

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
Exactly, Kurbaan will speak for itself. So far, all the examples karan has given have turned out to be true!

fizzles

IF-Dazzler

fizzles

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Oh, there is an Over dose in terror based films. But I guess the proof is in the pudding. Once the film releases, we will be able to judge it on its own merit.

But I didn't like Fanaa or New York. Both had their flaws and even if they were hits, certain things just didn't make sense. Some of these film makers should watch Rendition, if they want to make a proper film on this subject.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Enycedoll

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged
LOLL....sorry to say Karan, but the promos so far seem to have a heavy Fanaa and New York hangover....so let's see how much of this turns out to be 'never before seen'

And ppl were comparing WUS to Lakshya?? LMAO....I fail to see where that one arose from.....I was seeing a bit of a DCH inspiration, that's it....

Post Reply New Post

Go to top