Torture: Is it ever OK? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 5

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 5

xyler

xyler

Posted: 04 November 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
torture for me is for COWARD people and want to make a speedy investigation, they are not following rules....meaning people who have narrow mind..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Mystery-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Torture: Is it ever OK? (Page 5)" in Miscellaneous forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 04 November 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xyler

torture for me is for COWARD people and want to make a speedy investigation, they are not following rules....meaning people who have narrow mind..
Wanting a speedy investigation doesn't imply that the person is a coward. It implies a wish to deliver quick justice. Not caring about the investigation as long as police doesn't torture anyone is nothing noble either.
If for you the first scenario might be bad but at least it helps in delivering justice.

souro

souro

Posted: 04 November 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ms.Pooji

Any kind of torture is not legal, according to international laws.
Is the international community ensuring that there ain't any terrorist attacks or murders happening?? If not, then let the countries handle their own problems in their own way. Let's not bring International laws in the debate because just because someone made a law doesn't make it correct.

The accused may be linked to the crime by being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The police may think that the criminal is hiding facts, but actually he isn't.
As I had said earlier, a person is not straight away tortured. First they are interrogated. Only if it is found out that they are lying (through inconsistencies in responses) or only if more eveidence is found linking the person to the crime, is the person tortured for more information.

As said before, there is really no regulation about violence/torture used by the police against criminals. Example given above: The Guantanamo prison which was used to torture some kind of people - not even all accused. What is more baffling is that it still being done officially. [Still waiting for Obama to fulfill his promise of closing it down]
What happens in that prison is the concern of the people of that country. Let them be the judge of that. Atleast I won't comment on something that I don't know half about.

There have been also deaths in prisons following torture of some criminals. There are some examples which I found through google in Angola but two specific examples in the last ten years in Mauritius.
Kaya, a singer, having participated in an anti-government rally and accused of having drugs in his possession [only marijuana, which is even legal in some countries] was killed through police torture in prison.
http://www.noulakaz.net/weblog/2008/02/21/kaya-died-9-years-ago-but-his-songs-are-still-here/
I can't find a link for this case but still I am mentioning it: A person (Rajesh Ramlagun) is arrested in the case of the murder of two women at some village. Note that there are also other suspects which are imprisoned at the same time. They are all tortured. Rajesh Ramlagun doesn't sustain to his inuries/physical abuse and passes away.

The wives of Kaya and Rajesh Ramlagun obtained huge compensations from the government when they sued the latter, but can the worth of a life be expressed in monetary terms? I don't really think it is okay to torture criminals... especially suspects who can turn out to be innocent afterwards.
So, you come up with two cases in 10 years where two people died in custody. Maybe, you should search for how many cases goes unsolved where police find it difficult to solve a case because of such restrictions placed. Those people who were murdered, according to you their life is less valuable as you're not bothered about finding the real criminal and your only concern is that the noone even if they are related to the crime shouldn't be tortured for information.
Yes even a suspect shouldn't be tortured to an extent where s/he dies, but that doesn't mean cutting out torture altogether as a means to get information. There are other ways of torturing too where the life of the suspect is not put into danger.
Btw, you didn't reply to what I asked. How else do you propose to extract information??

_Rainbow_

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:23am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top