Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

There is something about acting that says " A good director can even make a rock act".

If that was true, Ash would be counted as an "actress" too.  She has worked with some top names in the industry too.  But all know her as plastic beauty.  Not undermining her beauty here at all but making a point based on your counter.

By that rule, if you watch the movie, The acting performed by Jackie in those two movies is far superior to anything Sallu, Hrithik, Sanju, Anil have done till date. And Jackie is not even considered to be an actor. Yes they have acted well in a few movies, but that happens like a lunar eclipse

Which two movies are we talking about here?  Well, I like Jackie Shroff as it is irrespective of his bad acting.  So yes, there's a bias towards him in my mind.  That said, one can't take away the super hits sallu, hritik, sanju, anil and saifu have given in their career span so far irrespective of the directors they got because as I pointed out above - certain rocks just can't be cut no matter how good the johri is .  Hence, one can't dismiss the brigade listed here solely for their connections.  

Stars yes, actors no
I would say they most of them became ""stars after they became "actors" - keeping the context you introduced in mind for these two terms.  It took Anil and Saifu some time before they were counted as stars.  Sallu, Hritik and Amir tasted stardom at the evry beginning of their career - may be not their very first movies but amongst their earlier films - MPK for Sallu, QSQT for AK and  KNPH for hritik.  I find it really hard to deny how brilliant they were in those films.  So, for them, the stardom and acting was more a simultaneous happening than separate achievements. 

Sorry Ajay meaning Ajay Devgan, you seriously think that guy can act. Come-on I will give you even Sallu can act on occassions, but Ajay (I carry a perpetually constipated look) Devgan, seriously?

Yes, that dude can act and this is why he stayed in bollywood so long despite having below average looks.  As far as his connections are concerned - being the son of a fight master is really not THAT strong a connection that ensures repeat castings in bollywood.  So, call him whatever you may want to - constipated, boy next door looks, ugly duckling - fact is he stayed in bollywood on his own merit - not the looks (which others under discussion here have in abundance) or the weak connections.

Correction on my previous post, SRK didnt have any connections when he came in, but doesnt change the fact about his acting skills

Again- what sort of acting skills you are talking about here?  Agreed SRK is mostly slotted to a certain image but that is the image masses love and he does do full justice to the movies in which he plays those roles.  It has to change the fact you have in mind for acting skills because he must possess that x-factor that kept him on the top for such a long time despite not having any filmy connections to begin with. 

Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

Aishwarya Rai without a doubt. It's beyond me how the entire Bollywood (and now even Hollywood - though that didn't work) came under her beauty spell to let her take the award for the best actress twice! Seriously, even ceremonies like Star Screen (which focuses more on actual talent than public voting) gave her the best actress awards. And it's even beyond me how a director like Sanjay Leela Bhansali had been infatuated by her (good that he didn't take her in Black - can one imagine Aishwarya playing Michael McNally ๐Ÿ˜†).

I wouldn't put Katrina, for the same reason I wouldn't/didn't put Emran - they maybe be 'overhyped' but not 'overrated'. They are not even famous to be considered as being overrated.

I don't think Kareena is overrated. She did a pretty decent job in Omkara (won best actress in Star Screen, by the way). But if she wins the award this year as well, then I will be forced to consider her as being overrated.

EDIT: As for underrated actresses, I will go with Shilpa Shetty and Manisha Koirala. They both were terrific actresses. I had been a fan of Manisha since Khamoshi, and Shilpa since Phir Milenge. Poor Shilpa, she deserved the best actress (critics) for Phir Milenge - but of course, the one with the 'well-known' and 'most-important' family took the award. ๐Ÿ˜›

aH this beauty queen Ash is a great dancer. Acting wise she had been trying her best.๐Ÿ˜†
Roadrunnerz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Ash was good in guru, jodha akbar,dilde chuke sanam, ๐Ÿ˜

gujunpyo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

emraan hashmi is talented if look beyond his kiisses,catch raaz 2.

no one here is really over rated,maybe salman...

MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Salman Khan.........................

Emran Hashmi is under-rated.He is a good actor and good looking guy.
Originally posted by: MRS BANI WALIA

Salman Khan.........................

Emran Hashmi is under-rated.He is a good actor and good looking guy.

@under-rated&good looking๐Ÿคฃ
ummmm i guess its sallu๐Ÿ˜Š
-Sneha thumbnail
Originally posted by: Summer3

If we did a poll on the lady actresses who should be on the list?? ๐Ÿ˜†

I'd say Freida Pinto any damned day! Man, I just can't understand... What for? There wasn't one piece of the whole movie I saw her ACT! She's highly highly overacted! It's not like am a part of those anti-fans or whatever that just loves to put down people. I mean, come show me some valuable stuff and I'll take back my comment, but she's not even trying! Or she herself knows she's no good!

I don't think Abhishek is overrated... After watching Guru actually, I think he's highly underrated! He definitely has a lot of talent within, he needs the RIGHT kind of movie to go with it! That's all...

Ashwariya Rai... The only two movies I liked her was Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas... For the rest of them, she's definitely not worth all that praise she got! I liked her somewhat in Sarkar Raj (though she didn't have much scope) and her touchy scenes in Umrao Jaan, but except that,please!

Kareena Kapoor in definitely definitely overrated... If she didn't have those family connections as someone said, she'd been since long GONE!!... She's only getting better each day because she still gets her chances... If everyone could, then anyone could be an "actor"!
kuhu.kuhu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Summer3

Kismet Konnection. What about Katrina??๐Ÿ˜†

don't even make me go there ... the less i say the better๐Ÿ˜†
Oh the list is longgg salman, SRK, ranbir, imran, abhishek

actresses- kareena, ash, priyanka, deepika, madhuri dixit and rani
Edited by angelic_devil - 14 years ago
-Sneha thumbnail
Oh yeah, and I think Ajay Devgan, as an actor, is highly underated as well.. Perhaps because he doesn't make up "news" every single day like some do, he isn't considered worth the take! But I really really appreciate watching him as an actor; I think he's fantastic in some scenes...

I happened to listened to Ladki Kyun from Hum Tum yesterday, and thought about this topic: Saif Ali Khan is another one of them who's underated as well according to me. Love Aaj Kaal was watchable only due to him, I loved the scenes from whereon he got the job; some fantastic acting in there! It's high time he makes news due to some good reason now rather than all the bad ones, and I am looking forward to Kurbaan...