Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

iloveidiotbox

Goldie

iloveidiotbox

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged
My grandmother got married at 14. It was not until she was 17 that she went to her in-laws. My great-grandfather let her finish 10th, which was a huge deal back then. She would speak in English to all her grandkids, which my friends thought was real cool LOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Any Real Life Balika Vadhu's (Page 2)" in Balika Vadhu forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mehraan

IF-Sizzlerz

mehraan

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 6:15am | IP Logged
yup my maternal grandma married wen she was  11 n lived wid my grandpa who was  16  since then...my grandpas family was very rich n thy r still.....he  xpired 6 yrs bac k n my grandma  still recollects the wonderful times thy have spent 2gther...bt my grandma had a very strict motherinlaw jus like dadisa who wud always taunt, insult  n wasnt happy wid her ..she always kept on comparing my grandma  wid her jethani(his  elder brothers wife) nkept on insisting my grandpa 2 have a sec marraige....my mom was the 1st child  ..even after my mom was born.....my moms grandma created problems between my grandparents...so in a way wen i watch BV i relate 2 the stry cos its somehow related 2 my moms family...my mom still cries  while narrating how torturous  her grandma was wid her n wid her mom

-aditi-

IF-Sizzlerz

-aditi-

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged
A chotu question becoj me cho confujLOL-
about our grandmothers umm well the age limit was set to something aroung 15-16 for girls to get married by the govt that time so is it apt to call them bv's of that time or for now?Confused

sonal75

sonal75

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged
My MIL got married when she was 6 months old and was sent to the in-laws around 16.  We all laugh at her marriage because to me it is not legal according to religion since she herself did not take pheras. 

ammoos

IF-Veteran Member

ammoos

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged
My maternal grandmom got married at the gae of 21 but her eldest daughter at 17Shocked... granny delivered her 8th and my aunt her first at the same timeLOL...actually it was my aunt who had her baby first..LOL.. nephew is elder to his auntROFL.. (similar to Sugna - Gehna)

shona.

IF-Rockerz

shona.

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -aditi-

A chotu question becoj me cho confujLOL-
about our grandmothers umm well the age limit was set to something aroung 15-16 for girls to get married by the govt that time so is it apt to call them bv's of that time or for now?Confused

i dunno i think 15-16 is still young...so married before 16 is balika vadhu for me

this story is more recent and i know this girl very well and her story made me feel more strongly abt child marriages and the need to prevent them.

i know another BV...she's our maid's daughter in india and shes 16 now...was married january this year where her in-laws said they'd let her study n she wont have to do much house work etc. Her in-laws are rich so her mother got her married off but after a couple of months they started to abuse her and stopped her education. She wasnt willing to speak up but then she did and took action. My family there helped her and now shes free...
She's resumed studies and seemed happier when i met her in August.

kritambo

Groupbie

kritambo

Posted: 28 October 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged
I also had a maid earlier whose daughter was married at eleven and had to leave school after studying till class 8th. Poor girlCry

sudss

Goldie

sudss

Posted: 28 October 2009 at 4:08am | IP Logged
i think this was quite a normal thing in most parts of India for generations...
remember...
Gandhiji married Kasturba Gandhi when both were 13
Tagore married Mrinalini Devi when she was 10 yrs of age
Nehru married Kamala Nehru when she was 16

most of our grandparents would be having such stories to narrate too... but now-a-days it has become so less among the educated lot. but it still exists among the socially and economically backward classes. i wonder whether this serial is doing anything to change their attitude... if at all anything is keeping them from getting their daughters married of at a very young age, its very often the financial difficulties. I dont see so much of change in their attitudes even after watching serials like this where they try to take a stand against these social evils...
personally, i know my maid's niece was married at the age of 12, and now my maid is worried about marrying off her kids who are 10,8 and 6 respectively. no matter what i say, no matter what she sees in these serials, its all kept aside when it comes to their own personal lives, what do you ppl feel about it??

Post Reply New Post

Go to top