Harry Potter

DOTF.... Voldemort and death

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 25 October 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
Dumbledore says that there are far worse things than death, and I am quite inclined to agree with him.

I mean okay, Voldemort's #1 fear seems to be dying (along with fear of the dark and dead bodies... Dumbledore tells us when in the cave). But, I mean Voldemort went through being body-less, and went through the hideous transformation as he made Horcruxes (his eye-whites got a permanently bloody look to them and so on) and personally I think these things have to be definitely worse than dying. I wonder why he fears it so? Maybe because dying, like his fear of dead bodies and the dark, are all fears of the unknown.
What are your views on this?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTF.... Voldemort and death" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

fly_chick

Goldie

fly_chick

Posted: 26 October 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged
Agree with what you said- he fears the unknown.
I think Voldermort also fears death because there's no coming back and he doesn't want to die and be called "weak" so immortality is the best way to stay alive because when your dead you can't resurrect or anything unless you come back as a ghost and He wants to be feared so its not a great option is it. I think he's scared of death because when you die you're forgotton overtime and as he says you're 'weak'  and 'powerless', which is something he doesn't want.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

chhilt..RamKiJanaki..

missy6892

Goldie

missy6892

Oct Fest Winners - Harry Potter Forum!

Posted: 26 October 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged
Voldemort feared death so much because it was the only thing that he couldnt win against.

Edited by missy6892 - 26 October 2009 at 8:51pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

missindia26chhilt..RamKiJanaki..

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 27 October 2009 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
I agree with the fact that he feared the unknown and also he liked the feeling of control and the Horcruxes were his way of "controlling" death

chhilt..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
I agree with all of you. It wasn't really death that Voldemort feared if you think about it; he feared not being in control in my opinion. He always wanted to be seen as the most powerful being in the world, that he was willing to go through so much disgusting methods to stay 'alive'.

And also, I think the reason lots of people were disappointed at DH's ending was because of the quick way in which Voldemort died....but if you think about it, isn't death quick in reality? It's the torture before it that's prolonged, but death comes and goes in less than a second, and that's exactly how Voldykins died. JKR did not write any unnecessary pre-death fluff, and she killed him off with a *snap*, which something we readers, as well as Voldemort perhaps, did not expect.

I think really, Voldemort maybe feared the torture before death, or the prolonged pain. He did not realize that death was quick and painless and he went through so many unnecessary ways to stay alive. It's really sad if you think about it.

shellyttchhilt

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

I agree with all of you. It wasn't really death that Voldemort feared if you think about it; he feared not being in control in my opinion. He always wanted to be seen as the most powerful being in the world, that he was willing to go through so much disgusting methods to stay 'alive'.

And also, I think the reason lots of people were disappointed at DH's ending was because of the quick way in which Voldemort died....but if you think about it, isn't death quick in reality? It's the torture before it that's prolonged, but death comes and goes in less than a second, and that's exactly how Voldykins died. JKR did not write any unnecessary pre-death fluff, and she killed him off with a *snap*, which something we readers, as well as Voldemort perhaps, did not expect.

I think really, Voldemort maybe feared the torture before death, or the prolonged pain. He did not realize that death was quick and painless and he went through so many unnecessary ways to stay alive. It's really sad if you think about it.
Also I think that JKR put alot of thought into Voldermort's death. How could she not? It has to be the most pivotal moment of all the books.  Voldermort's fear of death stemmed from the fact that he could not control it and I don't think that his death was done in a snap. I think that Voldermort's entire life was plagued by torture because of this fear. He hid it well, but he was a tortured, fragmented soul in a sense as well. So although the act of killing him may have been quick (just as in reality asyou rightly said.), it was not infact very painless.

chhilt..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shellytt

Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Also I think that JKR put alot of thought into Voldermort's death. How could she not? It has to be the most pivotal moment of all the books.  Voldermort's fear of death stemmed from the fact that he could not control it and I don't think that his death was done in a snap. I think that Voldermort's entire life was plagued by torture because of this fear. He hid it well, but he was a tortured, fragmented soul in a sense as well. So although the act of killing him may have been quick (just as in reality asyou rightly said.), it was not infact very painless.

You're absolutely correct Shelly.Clap Some people I know think that JKR got bored towards the end of her story and quickened Voldemort's death, but I don't agree, because like you said, his death was the pivotal point of the entire epic. Every single event played up to his death in one way or another.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

chhilt

Post Reply New Post

Go to top