Mythology and Scriptures Debate Thread - Page 2

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by crazy_sunny

when a king is busy with intense prep for war how do U think he will feel when his own brother keeps advising him to go & seek the enemies forgiveness. Most kings wud not take kindly to such advice.
As for ravanas cremation I just heard it a few days back in a news channel India TV that the body of Ravana was said to have been buried under some rocks in an unknown place by some tribals there along with his treasure -place not found yet. The tribals revered Ravana & got his body as Vibhishan did not carry out cremation of his bro as he was busy with prep to ascend throne.
Now if U ask me for proof I dont have any ...
Well  Ravana is like Osama doing a lot of wrong things. So if Osama goes on bombing and killing others then even his own people  or family member should stop him.
BTW when USA does something wrong I will openly criticize USA too.

So Vib is a sensible guy who gave good advise to Ravana. Ravana could not listen to his brother as he was blinded by evil qualities too. It is better not to associate with such a family.
There is a lesson in this little story.

are we to now have a debate if Ramayan is bases on facts or fiction?
Loke RTH said, there is no clear black and white for this answer.

From the family point of view, he was a traitor. I recall seeing a scene on Star Ustav a while back where Kumbhakaran confronts Vibhishan. He was ready to let his brothers and family die.

But from another point of view, he was supporting the truth, and the right way.
I think EKta can make better Ramayan....😉

trying to put sense into ones relatives r friends is good but going and joining enemy ranks is a bit like going overboard IMO

are we to now have a debate if Ramayan is bases on facts or fiction?
The significance of the Ramayan story is about the story of the individual soul.
Whether it really happend is arguable. Anyway it is not significant to me.
I read that people in those days were also very much taller than now. But there is not much proof.
Apparently Saint Ramanuja was the reincarnation of Lakshamana.

Ravana and the ten heads indicates the ten senses.
Rama the individual soul loses his way when it loses  Brahma jnana or Divine knowledge represented by Sita.

Actually Hanuman could have defeated Ravana anytime, but since the story was planned this way guess nothing much could be done.

trying to put sense into ones relatives r friends is good but going and joining enemy ranks is a bit like going overboard IMO

In the Mahabharata several of the teachers and gurus continued to support the Kaurava eventhough the Karavas were crooks. The world does not have much respect for them either.
Those Gurus could not live up to the ideal and subsequently all were killed.
they were on the royal payrolls! perhaps they considered it their duty or loyalty to serve the King.😊

they were on the royal payrolls! perhaps they considered it their duty or loyalty to serve the King.😊
Even Bhisma the most respected one fought for the wrong side. He admitted at the time of his death that eating the food from immoral persons had polutted his mind and thinking too.
the story of Karna is even sadder and he was such a high soul.

when a king is busy with intense prep for war how do U think he will feel when his own brother keeps advising him to go & seek the enemies forgiveness. Most kings wud not take kindly to such advice.  Whose fault does that make it? A good King would be free to advice of any kind, even if its contradictory to what he believes, because he realizes that there may be truth in the adviser's words. Especially since Vibhishan was his own brother, Ravan should have realized that his brother was only trying to look out for his own good because he loves him, while all the ministers who supported Ravan only wanted the fame and were too scared to speak out. Just because Ravan did not "feel" like listening to Vibhishan because he was too busy preparing for an unrighteous war did not make Vibhishan wrong and Ravan right.
As for ravanas cremation I just heard it a few days back in a news channel India TV that the body of Ravana was said to have been buried under some rocks in an unknown place by some tribals there along with his treasure -place not found yet. The tribals revered Ravana & got his body as Vibhishan did not carry out cremation of his bro as he was busy with prep to ascend throne. Don't know whose body they found, but even if Ravan had been burried, would his body (which is from Treta Yug) have been found now?😕 I hardly think the bones themselves would remain today.  
Now if U ask me for proof I dont have any ... I'm not asking for proof, cause you can neither proove not disprove scriptures. I'm asking which Ramayan version you read this in, and when that version was written. Or if you simply "heard" this from somewhere.