Degrading the position of Women. - Page 8

Posted: 14 years ago
I dont understand why some sexist principles of the past cant be changed!
Originally posted by gossipgurls

No its not the educational system its the mentality of the ppl, based on culture and orthodox customs needs to be changed .....

educational system always teaches us that we all are equal in every aspect .... we learn the in schools and colleges, then what we go back home the so called orthodox parents say that women's job is in kitchen and blah ..blahh.... and brain wash the kids and that continues thru generations...

Instead I need to applaud the women in low middle class and middle class family's where so much of importance in given to girl and they education and career .... It makes me really Proud when i stand n my wrk plc and see so many women working and going to such high levels in they careers.... and serials like these just take us back 100000 steps.... to what progress women have made in this world.

this can be changed thru education only.. existing system in India needed to be changed.. teaching equality is totally different from what i am talking about here.. this so called belief needed to be changed, this can be changed due to progression thru the books, not talks ... let children do assignments, let them go out do research and submit thesis like what they do in west.. this will make sure that they learn ..

look at the serial balika vadu and listen to what Avika Gor talks about child marriage.. that is experience which come out from her child mind.. that is the difference..

children needed to go thru experiences that is what education means .. not what mugging out the lessons and write byhearted exams .. that is not teaching them anything.. then ranking system, who can mug more and memory can retain more information, is written in your exam paper is not what is required..

they needed to go beyond all this..
Originally posted by Nandalala

Charu, you and I and all of us here on the forum are fortunate to be mature, educated women who can "filter" through stuff...we do not internalize daddi's pravachans, or Akshara's tears, or Varsha's illogical thoughts...BUT, in India and around the world, there are millions of young women out there who are so sheltered and watch these type of shows (and may not be able to FF the crappy parts), who are very much affected by what is shown EVERYDAY. They are my concern...I am sure there is a 16 year old out there in the real world who has watched Akshara's "khamoshi ki bhasha" and thought that the boy who she has a crush on will understand her own "khamoshi ki bhasha."

Out of the 9 main female characters on this show, why can't one be shown as having some sort of a backbone, education, and able to speak her mind? And if and when a character does speak her mind, why is it with a whole bucket of tears? I am sorry to say but when it comes to a "social message" for women, this show is taking us back to the stone age...there is absolutely NOTHING positive in how women and their role is portrayed in this serial so far...I don't watch any other Indian TV shows so I can't speak for them...This show is so successful; why not use that success as a platform to show some female empowerment...I do hope they make Akshara and Varsha's characters stronger and more independent as we move forward...
Anjali , I am very much impressed by those lines of your which I have highlighted.
In India different type of ppl are living educated, un-educated, partially educated, so television can be used as a medium of spreading awarenesses among the masses.
Ok I agree that afterall YRKKH is just a work of fiction but still ppl do get inspired on seeing such  shows.
Edited by anu-s - 14 years ago
Hi, very nice discussion going on. Looks like I had missed this post. Last night ritu and I had a wonderful discussion on Indian women....are they really responsible for their sorry state or they are just victims of circumstances.  I feel there is difference between the serious 'Suppression' of woman & so called feminist's liberation! Let me find that post now.....

Media and its wide reach.......TV is a very powerful medium today!  Annu , I agree with you that directors & producers shd act responsible and get some social message across without  being preachy (Dadi's pravachan). Mostly gen X is allergic to sermonizing!  But Aksh shd cont her studies, nandini shd do some vocational  training music , painting or shd complete her degree.

Tired of watching some bizzare sequences.  The torture  of mind continues episode after episode as we all wait with abated breath what is going to happen next? 
Originally posted by 5cents

Hi, very nice discussion going on. Looks like I had missed this post. Last night ritu and I had a wonderful discussion on Indian women....are they really responsible for their sorry state or they are just victims of circumstances.  I feel there is difference between the serious 'Suppression' of woman & so called feminist's liberation! Let me find that post now.....

Media and its wide reach.......TV is a very powerful medium today!  Annu , I agree with you that directors & producers shd act responsible and get some social message across without  being preachy (Dadi's pravachan). Mostly gen X is allergic to sermonizing!  But Aksh shd cont her studies, nandini shd do some vocational  training music , painting or shd complete her degree.

Tired of watching some bizzare sequences.  The torture  of mind continues episode after episode as we all wait with abated breath what is going to happen next? 
Tina this is exactly what I want to say that in this show creatives are portraying women as very weak and miserable who are not able to find out any solution of her problems on her own ,instead they only starts crying and worrying.
Edited by anu-s - 14 years ago
Originally posted by anu-s

Tina this is exactly what I want to say that in this show creatives are portraying women as very weak and miserable who are not able to find out any solution of her problems on her own ,instead they only starts crying and worrying.

they do cry and worry but they find the solutions to their problems also....and then don't we know , real life is not half as melodramatic as it's shown on TV.....we encounter all these problems in real life but not together....but in a serial they have to do it, if we start writing a story of daily soap, we'll do the same....

i agree with Tina and others..TV is a powerful medium hence they must attach a social message & should show "progressive" thinking rather than glorifying old traditions like pallu and all..okay it might work for some, but we can do without it..the point is that the older gen. is that way, we can't change their thinking, but the younger gen. must have the freedom to "choose & take a decision for themselves" rather than forcibly adopting them for their family's sake...we can balance both the things right? respecting the wishes of our elders and sometimes do as we please...
Originally posted by nrasheed

I totally understand where you're coming from by the above statement 😃 but seriously how long will we tolerate and keep saying hey its just fiction lighten up!!!! thats why these writers keep coming back to  the screen with these brain dead ideas..cause they know the majority of female Population will accept this humiliation of our sex..cause majority of us think its just entertainment..well seriously i think its time that viewers smarten up to what we are watching in our homes..cause everything we do...and watch make an impact..somewhere or another...
I also think its very sad that it would seem that in general we will watch anything and make it acceptable because of a pretty face or a handsome guy is in it.....ugggg...when will we all learn that beauty shouldnt be just skin deep...cuase if you scratch the surface of this show, there is nothing but ugliness hidden behind it.... this show is making a mockery of all relations...!!!!!! okay and after that rant.(feels good just getting it off my chest)😆 i dont mind saying yeah its just a show..so lighten up...😉

Well to each his /her own.....there are many serials which show the women being strong and have many people watching them...what my point is that there are people like this also in real life which they are showing and by showing their condition/submissive nature they are in a way  highlighting this aspect which many women need to be aware of....Didn't many of us learn that silence is not golden always...communicate properly with your spouse....Take balika badhu  by showing child-marriage ..are they popularising child marriage?  NO..it is away to make the audience aware in rural parts of india the ill-effects of it...Because TV is a medium to showcase such sides of the life too , to people who go through all this in real life.......
And showing women strong doesn't mean the kind of women we saw in Ekta kapoor serails where they do all by themselves cook,cry,spy,kill and what not...🤢

I still feel YRKKH is one of the better soaps on TV...i don't know if anyone of u watched soaps like SAANS and Astitva...these were 2 serials with very strong female characters...there is a variety of serials on the tV..it all depends on us what we want to watch and what e learn from it
And after all it is just show...😉 don't watch it if you don't approve...watch the discovery channel instead...😆

Edited by sks7 - 14 years ago
Originally posted by _charu_

they do cry and worry but they find the solutions to their problems also....and then don't we know , real life is not half as melodramatic as it's shown on TV.....we encounter all these problems in real life but not together....but in a serial they have to do it, if we start writing a story of daily soap, we'll do the same....

i agree with Tina and others..TV is a powerful medium hence they must attach a social message & should show "progressive" thinking rather than glorifying old traditions like pallu and all..okay it might work for some, but we can do without it..the point is that the older gen. is that way, we can't change their thinking, but the younger gen. must have the freedom to "choose & take a decision for themselves" rather than forcibly adopting them for their family's sake...we can balance both the things right? respecting the wishes of our elders and sometimes do as we please...

well said Charu....👏  
Originally posted by anu-s

Anjali , I am very much impressed by those lines of your which I have highlighted.

In India different type of ppl are living educated, un-educated, partially educated, so television can be used as a medium of spreading awarenesses among the masses.

Ok I agree that afterall YRKKH is just a work of fiction but still ppl do get inspired on seeing such shows.

Absolutely, Anu, they get inspired and some, in turn, internalize everything that the show is depicting...thats why TV is such a phenomenal medium to show something positive...And this is exactly why I hope YR showcases this unique situation, where a young married woman, Akshara, matures into an educated, responsible, free thinking and loving member of her new family and society WITH the support of her husband and family...I also hope they do something similar for Varsha's character....