Writers Corner

Short story: Ride of my life (now complete!!)

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 5

Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

_.serendipity._

_.serendipity._

Posted: 21 October 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged

Ride Of My Life - Part 1

It was our third time on the roller coaster that day. Truth be told, it was quite a futile ride now. We knew all the flips, twists and dives, the rattles, the apparent crashes, the sudden veers and jolts and swoops. We could not be surprised anymore.

But the other rides seemed duller in comparison and we still had time to burn. So we - this group of friends, or the gang as we like to be called - queued up again, in mock trepidation, trying not to giggle at the other less-experienced quivering queuers.

He was standing next to me. Tall, thin, with deep eyes that sang and smiled, kindly, mischievously, wisely, mysteriously. I did my best not to stare at him too obviously.

But it was the first time I had felt that way about someone. And I was young. I did not know of the games they play to feign disinterest, to flirt and be playful, to appear inscrutable and be desired. I know now, but refuse to partake.

I prayed that we would sit next to each other in the ride, as we had the first two times. I could not get enough of him. Everything about him, every single detail filled me with such insane, inexplicable happiness ' the way he smelt, his gelled up spiky hair, his spotless branded shoes, his endearing way of saying 'huh?' that made him seem like a confused six-year old..

I was drawn to him in a way I could never understand. I loved him as much as I loved love, with my eyes closed, my heart open.

I made sure to lag behind like he did. I smiled to my little heart, my fellow conspirator.

*to be continued...*
Your comments would be greatly appreciated Smile

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 07 November 2009 at 7:21am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

tusheSur_10aish_punk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Short story: Ride of my life (now complete!!)" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 22 October 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged
hey..really nice part..

she's really into the guy..n i hope he is too..!

update soon

-aish

_.serendipity._

_.serendipity._

Posted: 22 October 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged

I hope so too Smile 

Thanks Aish for commenting. It's very encouraging.

Will update soon.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

aish_punk

_.serendipity._

_.serendipity._

Posted: 22 October 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged

Part 2

We were nearly at the ride. He asked me about the random who had given me a rose for Valentine's Day and teased me with the random. I realised he was slightly, ever so slightly, jealous. I was instantly annoyed. He had no reason to be jealous of someone who was nobody, nobody as compared to him.

I assured him, earnestly, that the random was only a friend who, as part of silly fresher games, had to get rid of the rose dumped onto him, and chose me only because he knew me. There was nothing, nothing to it. He laughed and said he was only joking. And he shook his head at me, amused.

I knew he was only pretending to be amused. For months after that day, he continued asking me about the random. With the strain in his voice, with the fake nonchalance, the plastic smile and the tight jaw. The random was a heartthrob, very good-looking, with a fleet of admirers. But surely, it was clear enough, I thought I had made it clear enough, that he, he had no reason to be insecure.

In fact, I did find it quite flattering that he was secretly jealous. But I did not want to torment him so, and did my best to clarify the situation.

However, with him pretending to joke and masking his sincere feelings behind the 'cool' mask all the time, it was hard to ever have a serious discussion with him. He never allowed me into his inner world, his contemplations, fears and desires.

He remains to this day, largely a mystery. Yet I know there are things I feel I can sense, almost intuitively. I wonder though if he can sense what I feel.

I digress. 

He saw that I was upset, and apologised for teasing me (always so polite and kind), assuring me that he really was joking. He did not have to apologise. I was only upset because I felt that he was. I smiled and he smiled and all was forgotten. And in that moment, I felt words unsaid and feelings unprofessed, powerfully gush through our eyes, before shyly receding as somebody in the group asked us something. (For the record, it wasn't even something remotely important or interesting).

*to be continued*

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tusheaish_punk

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 23 October 2009 at 12:31am | IP Logged
nice part..

so the guy was jealous of someone who gave her a rose..thats all..lol..weird but then shows his feelings..i think the girl shud enjoy the feeling u noe..but also make sure he dusnt get any wrong hints..

_.serendipity._

_.serendipity._

Posted: 23 October 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged

Part 3

I withdrew from what the friends were saying and laughing about, and wandered into my heart, where his last words were still echoing. And I felt the winds, the sun, all the tiny molecules, the entire universe rejoice with me. He had a way of saying my name that could make everything in the world seem wonderful and beautiful again. He would be so reassuring, so protective, so sincerely loving. And then typically something would happen to interrupt the magic, just like in the movies. But the moment would live on, Eternally.

We did sit next to each other in the ride, in the frontmost seats. My eyes teared up in gratitude. I did not deserve this. So much happiness. I felt like a misfit, unworthy. Like I had gatecrashed into a fairytale and had led Prince Charming to believe I was a Princess. It was wrong, but I was too weak, too besotted, to spurn something as beautiful.

"Let's hold hands?" he suggested, casually, with a semblance of spontaneity, that he could not quite pull off.

I was glad he could not see me. We had already sat down in the roller coaster and the protective brace made it impossible for us to see each other. I blushed deeply, smiled widely, and agreed, controlling the excitement in my voice. Trying to feign nonchalance too, I let go of the handle I had already gripped, and placed my hand in his.

We started moving upwards, slowly. I turned towards him, insanely thrilled, knowing that he was there, and that he could not know I was looking in his direction because of the brace. It was oddly reassuring.

As the cars on the motorway became the size of matchboxes, then grapes, and the roller coaster hinged towards the ground, and others behind us gasped and held their breaths... his grip tightened.

*to be continued*

Ps. A big thank you to Aish, my loyal reader. You rock!

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 25 October 2009 at 11:36am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

tusheSur_10aish_punk

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 24 October 2009 at 2:54am | IP Logged
hey..may i noe ur name?..anyway..nice part..

the girl felt so much of gratitude to just sit with him!..lol..but then i sorta do unnersan..she loves him a lot..n sitting with him was like so thrilling n tat too on a ride..

he asked for her hand..how sweet..n that must have excited her even more and she must have got more thrilled!.wow..

n the ride was very cute n sweet..

n dont say thnx 2 me..ur story is gud ;)

update soon

-aish

_.serendipity._

_.serendipity._

Posted: 24 October 2009 at 4:05am | IP Logged
Hey Aish, my name's Hema.

Believe me, I do need to say thanks..
Smile

Yes, it was very exciting for her.. I think, all the more so, because they hadn't told each other how they felt (if at all he felt something for her), so little gestures, little signs, like this conveyed a million words, and made her feel so, so special. 

The little girl knew that maybe they did not mean that he felt the same.. 

Yet, the signs gave her hope and the courage to believe in her dreams. I guess hope is always nice. Makes the world go around, doesn't it?

And then she did not need him to reciprocate her love. She loved without expectations, and this alone, her love for him, was enough, more than enough, for her.

Thanks again.

Will update later today...

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 24 October 2009 at 4:11am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top