Debate Mansion

Can Long Distance Relationships Last?

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Reading reviews of Main Aur Mrs. Khanna made me ponder about this. I've not seen the movie. But from what I read, it seems to be about the husband having to go abroad to start a business afresh and the wife left behind lonely and makes a special friend. It made me wonder how long and how successfully a relationship can last when husbands are away fro a long time.

In the states the summer after prom is considered summer of heartbreaks. There was a time up here in the midwest where little small towns talked of the highschool sweethearts who lived happily every after. Nowadays once enrolled in colleges in opposite ends of the country, they decide that they no longer cannot be together.

Long Distance relationships has become a fact of life for many people nowadays. People often get posted in a different city, or a different country altogether for months to years for a job. While some move their families each time, some choose to leave family behind so as not to stress them out with changes. Sometimes these are temporary projects so it makes no sense to move. We have more situations where foreign settled desis, marry  someone back home. Depending on visa status and processing, it can take months or over a year to get their new spouse back to the states. Many times desis even spend years engaged to someone in a different city or country before getting married. I've also seen situations where they get engaged/married after bachelors and then go to different universities to do post grad.

Can long distance relationships last successfully?
How easy or difficult it is?
How long can the family reasonably cope with such separation?
Whats the breaking point? Is the breakup of such relationships justified?
Is it easier when the more committed the relationship is, or is there no difference? For example will engaged couples last longer than couples just dating? Married couples last longer than the other two? Or does it depend more on people rather than the relationship?
Is it fair to get engaged/married to someone in a foreign country who may not be with you for a long time?
How hard or unfair is it for the spouse and kids who get left behind? Whom is it harder on spouse or kids?
I'm sure loneliness sets in when being separated for long, many actually do cheat, is this justified? Is it ok for the people to form platonic but emotionally intimate relationships or romantic friendships? What do you think when such relationships break due to cheating?

Just a few questions to get the ball rolling. πŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I believe every relationship work under trust , thats why I love the word trust more than love..people start relationship with high hope...its we can call honeymoon period.....if the partner mentaly satisfy another, then the relationship live longer.... even in intimate relationship having politics,confilts....then in long distance realationship its natural...Achiving intimacy is posible when there is a open communication each other....now theres lots of option to communication each other, bt before also people loved and lived in long distance relationship...its all depend n person to persons mentality.
Originally posted by: Believe

I believe every relationship work under trust , thats why I love the word trust more than love..people start relationship with high hope...its we can call honeymoon period.....if the partner mentaly satisfy another, then the relationship live longer.... even in intimate relationship having politics,confilts....then in long distance realationship its natural...Achiving intimacy is posible when there is a open communication each other....now theres lots of option to communication each other, bt before also people loved and lived in long distance relationship...its all depend n person to persons mentality.

So true that's precisely what I wanted to sayπŸ‘
I believe trust is the forewmost thing in every relation i'm staying away from hubby since few months i don't see anything wrong in long distance relations it's good actually coz of it you get to know how much your spouce loves you.
Back to the movie i agree to it as well that's why it is said they shouldnt stay seperate but stay together a woman is emotionally not as strong as a man and i firmly believe that a married gal should NEVER  be left alone it's better for her to live with her hubby incase of some visa issues she need to be in touch with hubby i do trust myself still i use cautiuons it's important i feel.
Edited by mahikhan - 14 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mahikhan

So true that's precisely what I wanted to sayπŸ‘
I believe trust is the forewmost thing in every relation i'm staying away from hubby since few months i don't see anything wrong in long distance relation it's good actually coz of it you get to know how much your spouce loves you.
Back to the movie i agree to it as well that's why it is said they shouldnt stay seperate but stay together a woman is emotionally not as strong as a man and i firmly believe that a married gal should NEVER  be left alone it's better for her to live with her hubby incase of of some visa issues she need to intouch with hubby i do trust myself still i use cautiuons it's important i feel.

NIce notes and replies. Most of the times they should be together. Once in a while they need to be away from each other.
-CaughtYou- thumbnail
If relationship is in heart, Distance does not matter 😊
Originally posted by: -CaughtYou-

If relationship is in heart, Distance does not matter 😊

Wah wah wah no seriously i loved your post the most i wish i could click like again n again VERY  well saidπŸ‘
Originally posted by: Summer3

NIce notes and replies. Most of the times they should be together. Once in a while they need to be away from each other.

Oh yes one should believe in giving space to eachother.
Staying away from eachothewr doesn't make sense sir if you dont have issues get back to your spouce whats wrong in that.

-CaughtYou- thumbnail
Originally posted by: mahikhan

Wah wah wah no seriously i loved your post the most i wish i could click like again n again VERY  well saidπŸ‘

Thank you πŸ˜†
Originally posted by: -CaughtYou-

Thank you πŸ˜†

Welcome you can call me kuchi kuchi shilpa ji btw its really sad to hear abt sharadha and ksg i never liked both together though😳
-CaughtYou- thumbnail
Karan deserved what he got, mad man, !! 🀒 one woman if enough, 3 at a time, i would never even in my dreams think about dating 3 woman 🀒

Ok now, i know its written female in the profile, that is because the account belongs to my fiancee πŸ˜†
Edited by -CaughtYou- - 14 years ago