Samir & Rajlaxmi

ritu Goldie
ritu
ritu

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 5:37am | IP Logged

An interview after his marriage

Face Off with Samir Soni

Sujata Assomull
Age? Twenty-seven-and-a-half. And since he's young enough not to worry about his advancing years, he's particular about the half. Married? Recently. So, he's behaving like a typical newly-wedded, much in love, model husband. He tied the knot with fellow model Rajlakshmi. They make a sickeningly perfect pair as they sit next to each other, holding hands and paying each other compliments with every passing sentence. So, did the Motorola superhunk break many hearts with his decision to become a one-man woman? "I hope not." He admits though that they often get prank calls. "But they must be for my wife," says the ever-so bashful model. What about while he was single and in college? He must have been a wild party animal driving all the babes crazy? Afraid not. Samir does not lead a wild or exciting life that one expects models to. In fact, he is quite boring. While at college in LA he was not into the party scene at all. "I was a nerd," he says sheepishly. A nerd, did he say? Yup. And Samir is quite a brain to top it all. Yes. Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a model with brains. So why modelling, if he's blessed with brains to do something intelligent? Because he wanted to get into acting and thought modelling was a good way to get noticed. And how does he feel about having a model wife? Samir never thought he would marry a model. But then he can never say 'Never'. They met at a shoot for the Cadbury ad, last October. And Samir had never heard of or seen Rajlakshmi before. "When I heard the name, I was expecting a ghati with coconut oil in her hair. Then when I saw her, I was stunned. I thought, 'Where did Cindy Crawford come in from?'." So it was love at first sight?On the first day of the shoot they hardly spoke to each other. On the second day, he played a prank on her which he refuses to share with us. But whatever it was, it could not have been that bad. By December, the couple were engaged. "It was the first time I made an instant decision." Okay, so how was the honeymoon they have just come back from? What honeymoon? Samir is so committed to his career that he postponed his trip to America. But he has promised his wife that by October they will be in Disneyland with Mickey and Donald. And what about his wife's work? Do married models have the same problems as married actresses? Surprisingly, marriage has helped her career take off. Rajlakshmi is about to start ramp modelling -- something her father would not permit. So does he mind his wife sashaying up and down the catwalk, getting catcalls and being ogled at? "I get jealous if I see her with another guy even when she is working." Aha! The Punjabi pride, the male chauvinist, rears its ugly head. What about his work? He has entered Bollywood and his debut film is Chinagate -- yes, the one with the Mamta Kulkarni controversy. The film will be released by the end of the year. And he has already worked for television. Samir is proud of his work. "There is hardly a serial in which I have not been offered a role." First modelling, now Bollywood. Samir must love the limelight? He goes into denial. He only parties once a week. "My latest thing is to play scrabble," he says. So what's his ideal film? He would love to do an art film. He's in commercial cinema only because of his love for acting. "It is not the lights of Bollywood I am attracted to," says this home-boy. What no one ever admits to is the lure of the lucre. And what are we most likely to hear from this model-turned-actor? "Gee! I don't know." And least likely to say? "I have obviously said it so little, I can't think what it could be."

Copyright 1997 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd

ritu Goldie
ritu
ritu

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 5:38am | IP Logged
I don't know whether it has been posted earlier or not, i got it from  internet.
Morgoth IF-Rockerz
Morgoth
Morgoth

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 5:42am | IP Logged
No it wasn't posted before. Thanks Ritu!
ritu Goldie
ritu
ritu

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 6:00am | IP Logged
don't u guys feel that he is boring ???
current IF-Rockerz
current
current

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 7:27am | IP Logged
Thanks Ritu...He seems as nice in real life as onscreen..Beng crazily in love with one's wife does not make him boring..He obviously adores her but she was too superficial to leave him.
ahmed316us Senior Member
ahmed316us
ahmed316us

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 7:36am | IP Logged
thanks ritu

anniegupta_ Goldie
anniegupta_
anniegupta_

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 10:04am | IP Logged
thx ritu... i don't think he's boring Wink
ruta Goldie
ruta
ruta

Posted: 11 September 2004 at 12:52pm | IP Logged
agree with you current..........she is a total cow.Infact,she left him only b'coz his career was not on the high at that time.

Go to top