Interracial Marriage - Page 4

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by souro

Accepting what one's child chooses doesn't really mean that the parent is comfortable with the choice. They're accepting it because their child can make that choice and there is nothing that parents can do to stop it. If it was possible maybe they'd have tried to influence their child's decision.
Choosing something for the child is just a reflection of the parent's own choice, and obviously if they don't like it they won't be comfortable with their child choosing that.

Why then put the entire population of mothers into the same group? As I said, my comment was for the hasty generalization that Mahi made. I am not rying to support or refute either of the point. I just find it amazing how people thinks they know about how each and every single individual of this world feels simply on the basis of their own thoughts.

And I think she was just speaking in general about the attitude of desis towards blacks. It's not about counting how many desis love blacks and how many don't. Mostly they don't like blacks.

There is no question of 'liking' and 'not liking'. Read my posts again. Not agreeing with your daughter's choice in getting married to a Black person does not automatically mean the mother is a racist, just as agreeing with your daughter's choice does not make the mother a saint. She was speaking in general, however, she could have used 'most' or the 'majority' instead of 'all', to make her point stand out of the crowed, and lest they are not misquoted.

Originally posted by mahikhan

Well thats what i mentioned earlier that my kid is too young for me to imagine such situation BUT yes if a black person happen to be a well settled person then why not.

I think all parents really want is the very best for their kids. Parents typically want same caste, religion, nationality etc because they think such similarities will make marriage easier. Similarity in cultural background makes it easier to respect where each other comes from and less compromises.

May desis indeed do have a negative perspective of black people due to the troubles in Africa, as well as the ghetto image of blacks in USA. They are more willing to accept whites, Asians etc into the family before blacks. Some Hispanics also fall in the iffy category because of the negativity associated with illegal immigrants and gang/mafia images.

However, I think if the person is genuinely a good person who would seem capable to be a good husband/wife many parents tend to begrudgingly give in. In the Caribbean there is a lot of interracial marriage between blacks and Indians. 
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Why, then, did you say that no mother will ever permit her daughter on marrying a full Black, when you yourself feel you can (as a mother) agree with your daughter's choice for a husband?
I said it but that was in a different context.
I only second Meena to what she sais since i feel the same being a mum.
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

You missed my point. I haven't asked for a reason as to why most mothers would not like to have a Black man as a son-in-law. My question was to Mahi, who previously stated thart it is literally impossible for any mother to permit her daughter in getting married with a Black guy, and on the next post, she stated she wouldn't mind it even in the least as to who her daughter chooses for marriage. I was a little confused, as the two statements are not just contradictory, but polar-opposite.

If NO mother can ever agree with her daughter marrying a Black, then suffice it to say Mahi can never be a mother.😉 (Oh lord, I can see a thousand spears coming my way😆).
Or else, the assumption that NO mothers will ever agree with her daughter marrying a Black men is faulty.

Being rare does not mean being nonexistent.
Oh so you started again?😳
Yes i did stated my point and that was in reaction to Meena's post i said i would never ever let my kid marry a black guy since i'm scared of such people i guess she stays in the USA and she was talking about black people in the USA so whether such black exist in UK or USA no desi mother would let her kids marry them even if they are Muslims i'd only not mind if my kid would choose someone from subcontinent and looks come later if a person is nice and caring INCASE he would be from INDIA or PAKISTAN.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think all parents really want is the very best for their kids. Parents typically want same caste, religion, nationality etc because they think such similarities will make marriage easier. Similarity in cultural background makes it easier to respect where each other comes from and less compromises.

May desis indeed do have a negative perspective of black people due to the troubles in Africa, as well as the ghetto image of blacks in USA. They are more willing to accept whites, Asians etc into the family before blacks. Some Hispanics also fall in the iffy category because of the negativity associated with illegal immigrants and gang/mafia images.

However, I think if the person is genuinely a good person who would seem capable to be a good husband/wife many parents tend to begrudgingly give in. In the Caribbean there is a lot of interracial marriage between blacks and Indians. 
Oh yes it is so.
LOL i'm actually tired of marraige b/w people from different cultures/raices i dont have any issue with cast though, and i'd want my kid marry someone from her dad's culture i'm a mixture of pak-ind its pretty difficult for me to choose things b/w my mum's ind and dad's paki culture.
I think the same BUT my preference would be some desi nri not someone from UK (english man).

Whatever you people disucssssss......remember the fact....Men are men....😉😛But I believe If two people want to live together, they dont need any permission from any priest or any government. They need the permission of their hearts. And the day they feel that the time has come to part, again they don't need anybody's permission........

If man's love is free, there will not be blacks and whites, and there will not be these ugly discriminations, bcos love knows no boundaries......You can fall in love with a black man, you can fall in love with a white man or any color or caste or religion.....Love knows no religious scriptures.......I believe It knows only the heartbeat, and it knows it with absolute certainty...... Once love is free, it will prepare the ground for other fundamental rights😊Keep the love ....

Just chill.....with love n love only

Vinu's
^^Agreed one has no control on love you actually cann't help it. But one has few responsibilities to their family too.
Originally posted by Believe

Whatever you people disucssssss......remember the fact....Men are men....😉😛But I believe If two people want to live together, they dont need any permission from any priest or any government. They need the permission of their hearts. And the day they feel that the time has come to part, again they don't need anybody's permission........

If man's love is free, there will not be blacks and whites, and there will not be these ugly discriminations, bcos love knows no boundaries......You can fall in love with a black man, you can fall in love with a white man or any color or caste or religion.....Love knows no religious scriptures.......I believe It knows only the heartbeat, and it knows it with absolute certainty...... Once love is free, it will prepare the ground for other fundamental rights😊Keep the love ....

Just chill.....with love n love only

Vinu's

It's not always about 'love'. For someone to always go after what he/she wants, disregarding everything/everyone else, is selfish. If parents oppose a marriage, it should not happen because your parents brought you up, not your partner. Without your parents, you would not be what you are today. A person should marry according to their parents' wishes despite how they themselves feel, because they owe at least that much to their parents.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by mahikhan

^^Agreed one has no control on love you actually cann't help it. But one has few responsibilities to their family too.

Agree.👏 To forget one's responsibilties and just chase after their 'love', I don't support that.