Page 1 of 34

Page 1
Page   of 34
Page 2 Page 34

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged
I came across this article while surfing the web today. http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/2009/10/15/D9BBNOA03_us_interracial_rebuff/index.html?source=rss&aim=wires

Its about a Louisiana justice who denied an interracial couple marriage license because he believes interracial marriages are too difficult on the children.

Another interesting article here is about an NY public office candidate breaking racial barriers in his campaign - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28175.html

In 1967 Sidney Poitier and Katherine Hepburn played leads in the drama/comedy 'Guess Who's coming to Dinner' where they touched on race relations in the United States. In 2005 Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac starred together in 'Guess Who' showing that we have come a long way, but have not really broken down any barriers.

Even today interracial couples still stir heads and lead to raised eyebrows. Forget marriages or romances, interracial socialization often can also be considered taboo. Even though we want equality and desegregation, people automatically segregate themselves. There are the white kids, the black kids and asian kids in school. Even within our Indian community - people live in a foreign country for generations - yet many people freak out when their kids start socializing with a different race. Marriage with a different race is strictly forbidden.

Why is it that after so many years we have not genuinely been able to break the race barrier? Why is it that we speak of equality in everything else - but when it comes to close personal relationships - we feel segregation is the only way?

Edited by return_to_hades - 21 January 2010 at 12:33pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevilMeena1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Interracial Marriage" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged
These day inter-racial marriages are pretty common but still many parents prefer otherwise so that there are less complications. But most important is that culture should be preserved no matter how they marry.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

These day inter-racial marriages are pretty common but still many parents prefer otherwise so that there are less complications. But most important is that culture should be preserved no matter how they marry.

I think the biggest challenge in interracial marriage is the preserving of culture. Whose culture do we preserve? How do we balance our different cultures? I think the biggest apprehension to interracial marriage is not racism but the fear of losing culture. When you marry someone of a different race - the other person also has a culture they are proud of and want to preserve. It becomes a challenge to draw compromises. Even within the same race cultural or national differences are a challenge. French and Italian cultures, British and American cultures, South Indian and North Indian cultures are radically different.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil..RamKiJanaki..

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 1:01am | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 1:53am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Angel-likeDevil

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

hindu4lyf

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 8:05am | IP Logged
Religious marriages. I think the common people emphasise too much on religious differences. We should treat all religions as one and that is what the schools, temples, churches and mosques should be teaching. All religions are our own. Sometimes it is all ego in trying to distinguish ourselves as being differnt from the others. Humans are such that even if all follow the same religion they will still start breaking up into smaller groups to set themselves apart from the rest. There should be greater emphasis on moral education and human values. Once a person has these qualities they will not pick a quarrel with others.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_VeilAngel-likeDevilnisha80Meena1

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Meena1

Funny.. We were just discussing the Louisiana case in my class yesterday..LOLLOL..the justice needs to be removed.. Ermm

Inter-racial marriage is still a taboo in my famiily.. i dont think my mom would ever be able to accept me if I ever marry a black guy.. LOLLOLLOL
If the person being married to is an upright person and of good character he would be worth his weight in gold.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top