Debate Mansion

Beauty queen guilty of credit card fraud

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:17am | IP Logged
A Miss Singapore was charged for credit card fraud. so she had to give up her crown. Wonder what the organisers were doing as it has be highly embarassing for the country. Personally I would forgive her and move on.
I also listened to her interview after the whole episode.

Ris Low: I was young, I didn't think

by Liew Hanqing

SHE knows she's one of the most unloved Singaporean beauty queens.

Especially now that her dirty little secret has tumbled out - the one she had hoped no one would learn about.

Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low Yi Min was sentenced in May to 24 months of supervised probation after being convicted of credit card fraud.

Sounding almost resigned, Ris said yesterday that she was waiting for the pageant organisers to inform her whether she will still be allowed to represent Singapore in the Miss World pageant in South Africa in December.

'I'm sad and disappointed,' she told The New Paper over the phone.

'I don't know who leaked this information about me. Now I may have to give up my dream (of participating in an international pageant).'

Lawyer Adrian Wee told The New Paper that it was up to Ris' probation officer to decide whether to allow her to travel to South Africa.

'Such decisions are usually determined on a case-by-case basis,' he said.

But even if Ris is allowed to leave Singapore, she may still be barred from taking part in the Miss World pageant.

The Miss World website states that pageant contestants must not have been charged or convicted in any court of law in any country.

Ris said she had used the credit cards fraudulently in 'a moment of folly'.

She said: 'When you are young and do something, you don't really think of the consequences.

'At the time, I didn't even think I would be joining a beauty pageant or that I would become a beauty queen.'

Ris said the pageant organisers were initially unaware of her offences.

'I told them about it only after I had won. I didn't know it was part of the contract,' she said.

She added that the organisers were 'shocked and angry' when they heard about it. The New Paper's repeated phone calls and e-mails to the pageant organisers, ERM World Marketing Pte Ltd, went unanswered yesterday.

Ris said: 'I regret what I did. I disappointed my parents, because I did it (credit card fraud) even though I wasn't in any need of money.'

At 19 and with a future still ahead of her, she is optimistic of putting this setback behind her.

'My friends have been very supportive through this period. I could really see their care and concern for me. My parents have also stood by me,' she said.

The first-time offender had faced five charges of misappropriation, cheating using illegally obtained credit cards and impersonating their users' identities.

Another 60 charges were taken into consideration for sentencing.

She had obtained the credit cards while she was working at a well-known medical group here.

According to court documents, Ris spent more than $2,400 on at least three credit cards on at least four separate occasions in April and May last year.

Among the items she bought were a $698 Samsung handphone and two gold anklets worth $980 in all.

She also visited Equinox, an upscale restaurant at Swissotel the Stamford, twice within the same week - spending almost $400 on food and drinks each time.

The New Paper understands that her former employer filed a police report in April last year after she was caught using credit cards belonging to patients who visited the clinic where she worked.

A spokesman for the medical group confirmed that she joined the group in December 2007 and left in May last year.

She also confirmed there was a civil case involving Ris, but declined to comment on it.

When The New Paper learnt of Ris' legal troubles about a month ago and confronted her, she denied it.

Then My Paper broke the story yesterday. Now, it looks like few are prepared to forgive and forget.

This article was first published in The New Paper

Miss Singapore World RIS LOW IS A CRIMINAL!

Edited by Summer3 - 15 October 2009 at 2:59am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.DontKnow.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Beauty queen guilty of credit card fraud" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.DontKnow.

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:22am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged
Now people are also not happy with the replacement Beauty Queen, Pilar Carmelita Arlando

Dumb and dumber beauty queens

FIRST it was ex-Miss Singapore World 2009 Ris Low who gave up her throne over a credit card conviction.

Netizens were aghast with her command of English and some even commented on her lack of intelligence.

Now, they have turned on Low's replacement Pilar Carmelita Arlando, with even harsher comments, saying that she has zero IQ!

Just as the 20-year-old diploma student was getting ready for the Miss World finals in South Africa, a video clip of her being interviewed by Razor TV caught the attention of the people.

She appeared to be ignorant over general issues pertaining to her country.

In the interview, Arlando ' who is pursuing her Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Management course ' and a few other pageant contestants were asked to answer five questions pertaining to the country.

She got three correct, one of which was on her second attempt.

But what became the big joke was that she had thought that the Merlion had actually existed but became extinct in 1965, Sin Chew Daily reported.

"I have no idea. (laugh) Hmm ... Merlion ... 1965?" she answered.

In fact, the Merlion is just an imaginary creature created as a trademark for the Singapore Tourism Board.

Arlando also got the age of the republic wrong. When asked how old Singapore is this year, she answered: "Oh dear, 47... 48... 49?"

And she only managed to mention the name Yusof Ishak in her second attempts to answer the question: "Name Singapore's first President."

The beauty queen, however, is quite sensitive to the opening of a new shopping mall and the transportation route.

The two questions she got right were to name the shopping mall that had just opened and the MRT station near Raffles City.

Arlando, who had been one of the favourites to win the crown, only managed to become second runner-up.

She is, however, lucky as Low was forced to relinquish her crown while first runner-up Claire Lee had a chronic back problem.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shaktheback

So many politicians who are on hot seats are frauds. Why can't they be de throned ?
Yes all are good in casting stones and chappals.LOL

slumgod.

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 11:20pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 16 October 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by slumdog

Replacement looks pretty. Perhaps her beauty and brain does not sync.

What a pic Vijay Babu.LOL
I think all persons are beautiful and clever in their own way.
I have seen smart alecs make huge mistakes and got cheated big; the hunter becomes the hunted.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top