Debate Mansion

Obama deserves a Nobel Prize now! (Page 2)

Poll Question: Obama deserves a Nobel Prize ?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [16.67%]
15 [83.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 10 October 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged
i think obama does deserve the noble piece prize... he is putting the economy together piece by piece.....LOL... the nobel committee must be confused... they thought he was supposed to get peace and not piece prize...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

souroangelic_deviluknaik99

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Obama deserves a Nobel Prize now! (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 October 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged
As much as I respect Obama, I do not think he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize. As someone mentioned earlier, the nominations closed way early in the game, at that point Obama had only spoken of his plans, and even now, most of it has not been put into action. I think awarding him the prize now, so early on in his presidency, is ridiculing him. You cannot award the Nobel Peace to someone who simply talks of peace, something has to be done to put these words into action. Although I'm not questioning his abilities, I think it would have been better for him and his image, if the award was given after he accomplished something.

And I'm sorry, the award was given for attempting to establish peace with the Muslim world? And if I'm not mistaken, didn't he just recently let out troops in Afghanistan? What is this, some kind of reverse psychology?

So basically, he's been awarded this peace prize, because his first speech as president, was to the Muslim world. I figured that was an accomplishment, but I was not aware that it was a Nobel-worthy accomplishment.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

toli..RamKiJanaki..

uknaik99

IF-Rockerz

uknaik99

Posted: 10 October 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged
He won, but for what?

Washington: For one of America's youngest presidents, in office less than nine months and only for 12 days before the Nobel nomination deadline last February winning the Peace Prize is an enormous honour. However, it seems to be more for Obama's promise than his performance.

Work on his ambitious agenda both at home and abroad is barely underway, much less finished. He has no standout moment of victory that would warrant a verdict as sweeping as that issued by the Nobel committee. Like most presidents in their first year, Obama's scorecard so far is largely an "incomplete".

He banned torture and other extreme interrogation techniques for terrorists. But he also promised to close the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a source of much distaste for the US around the world, a task with difficulties that could have Obama headed to miss his own January 2010 deadline.

He said he would end the Iraq war. But he has been slow to bring the troops home and the real end of the US military presence there won't come until at least 2012, and that's only if both the US and Iraq stick to their current agreement about American troop withdrawals. In the meantime, he's running a second war in the Muslim world in Afghanistan and is seriously considering ramping that one up. He has pushed for new efforts to make peace between the Israelis and Palestinians, but he's received little cooperation from the two sides.

He said he wants a nuclear-free world, but it is one thing to telegraph the desire (which he did through a speech at Prague in April) and another to unite other nations and US lawmakers behind the web of treaties and agreements needed to make that a reality.

He said battling climate change is a priority. But the US seems likely to head into crucial international negotiations set for Copenhagen in December with Obama-backed legislation still stalled in Congress.

And what about Obama's global prestige? It seemed to take a big hit exactly a week ago when he jetted across the Atlantic to lobby for Chicago to get the 2016 Olympics and was rejected with a last-place finish.

Perhaps for the Nobel committee, merely altering the tone out of Washington toward the rest of the world is enough.                                                

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 11 October 2009 at 2:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

chashmish97

IF-Rockerz

chashmish97

Posted: 12 October 2009 at 3:24am | IP Logged

I think he does not deserve it......cause' there are more people who deserves this opportunity to get the nobel prize....

He is a President and has already given speeches relating to certain topics....
I think the person who awarded the nobel prize to him could have given it to someone else.
This might increase the number of people coming to give supportive speeches to people all over the world!

Nice Topic!!!

Its all for love....L O V E
-T a t i a n a!!!

GoldenPanda.

IF-Rockerz

GoldenPanda.

Posted: 12 October 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged
I respect Obama too, I think he's great and that he will eventually in the future deserve a nobel prize, but it's too soon to get it now.

Swathikrishnan

Swathikrishnan

Posted: 13 October 2009 at 1:58am | IP Logged
LOL QUITE A DISCUSSION - :) LOL

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 13 October 2009 at 4:39am | IP Logged

Obama being conferred the Nobel prize for peace is shocking and mocking the nobel awards.  But what did Obama actually do  to deserve this honor?  What special and significant contribution did he accomplish in his tenure as a President till now? It seems the nobel peace committee committed a judgment of errors.  Its taking the US hegemony to unforeseen territoryLOL 

Wait till our politicians too get it, its only a matter of time and contactsWink!LOL

Edited by realitybites - 13 October 2009 at 4:46am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top