Book Talk

Discussion: Reading helps your writing? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

missindia26

IF-Rockerz

missindia26

Posted: 13 October 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged
 DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? I think it definitely does. It makes your vocabulary so much better and gives you ideas. And if you know what a good piece of writing is like, you can make yours better.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context? I usually figure it out myself but I check a few out now and then. If its for school then I use a dictionary.

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better? We have to quote in most essays so now I do automatically.

Great discussion Mahi
~TJ~

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Discussion: Reading helps your writing? (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mimi0295

IF-Veteran Member

mimi0295

Posted: 14 October 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?
Most definately! I was never into reading books until last year, but in my opinion, I think that I was a fairly decent writer LOL but ever since I actually started to read more complicated books, I personally think that my writing is a lot better now.
Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?
Not really, I'm not too keen on dictionaries LOL sometimes, if a word sounds interesting, I look it up, but otherwise, I don't really use the dictionary. Tongue But I do use the thesaurus- my life!
  Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?
Well, honestly speaking, I'm a huge quote freak! I love using quotes for everything! I think it does make a paper look better, esp. if the quote grabs the reader in...gets them interested you know?

Anhdara13

IF-Rockerz

Anhdara13

BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 14 October 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
 Do you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?
I think it's extremely true. I've always been an avid reader, I love to read. And as the style and sophistication of the books i read increases, my writing style has improved. When I compare my earliest pieces of work with my current ones, I can see the improvement. It makes me feel good. LOL

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?
Erm, no. LOL I don't. I usually figure out the meaning by the context. There are times, very rare, when I remember the word and go back to it, and check the meaning online or in the dictionary. But that was when I was in primary school and we were told to keep a vocabulary book.

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?
I think it's helpful for essays and stuff, because it gives your arguments more weight. Especially in Literature and the other Arts subjects, I'm not too sure about Science-y subjects. But in school, we were told to use quotes, and I believe it does lend more credibility to a paper. And sometimes it makes things more interesting as well.

Love,
Radz

rajica

rajica

Posted: 26 October 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged
Reading is absolutely awesome n helpful...im qute a bookworm! Lovely sharing thanks all!

-Ravjot-

IF-Veteran Member

-Ravjot-

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 01 November 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

A number of studies suggest that reading really helps your writing skills. Reading increases your vocabulary, gives you an insight to what kinds of styles work and so on.

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?
I think it's true. The more you read, the more words you learn and you get to see the different types of writing and I think it helps with spelling and grammar as well =)

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context?
I go by contextLOL Usually when a word I don't know is used, the sentence it's used in sort of clarifies and I don't like stopping half way just o look up a wordLOL
Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better?
Well........I dunno since I've never used em except when we had to do quote analysis but I don't think it makes your writing better or helps that much. Because what you write should be your own ideas but I guess if you want to stress a point and a quote helps than that's awesome =)

EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged
Great Topic.
Well, I think reading does help a lot in improving one's writing skills.
And like everybody else, I too just go by the context.....no dictionaries and all...
I would just like to add that sometimes too much of reading can influence your writing style to such an extent you may begin to , unconsciously, of course, copy ideas and words and phrases. It's happened with me. There was a time when I totally crazy over Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and read it on a daily basis. Soon I discovered I'd actually learnt a few of the sentences and was using them inadvertently in my stories and essays.

I guess when they say, "Too much of everything is bad", they mean reading as well!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top