Discussion: Reading helps your writing?

Posted: 14 years ago

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Well, here I am presenting the ...

A number of studies suggest that reading really helps your writing skills
.  Reading increases your vocabulary, gives you an insight to what kinds of styles work and so on.

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?
Any additional comments are always welcome!

Enjoy discussing!  

***If you like this discussion, please press the LIKE button, that's how I'll keep track of what you all want.  If most of you don't like it, then we will avoid similar discussions in the future.***

Mahi

yes, its true reading helps alot as a writer as it broadens ones knowledge as well as their imagination power and also their vocabs

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?

i do both, it depends on the word that come across while reading...i firstly go through the context and stil if it do not help me, i check with the dictionary :)

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?

absolutely, quoting helps a lot and it also makes our writing better as well

wonderful discussion mahi

Originally posted by -Mystery-

.  Reading increases your vocabulary, gives you an insight to what kinds of styles work and so on.

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? It definitely helped me a lot... I would never have thought about writing if it weren't for the fact that I'm a total bookworm ;) When you read different types of books you get a wider range of vocabulary and also insight on how you should tackle a certain piece of writing.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context? I rarely use a dictionary... I can usually figure it out by the context :P

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better? From personal experience... definitely... from personal experience, I've gotten extra marks on assignments for using quotes so I try to incorporate them into all kinds of writing :P
Any additional comments are always welcome! Great discussion as always, Mahi! :P

Enjoy discussing!  

***If you like this discussion, please press the LIKE button, that's how I'll keep track of what you all want.  If most of you don't like it, then we will avoid similar discussions in the future.***
Done! :P

Mahi
Edited by chhilt - 14 years ago
Hi mahi!
Umm..yes...ofcourse reading helps in widening the vocabulary...and it really helps in writing...It has actually helped me a lot...Even reading a fanfic gives you soo many vibrant ideas man...

I check the dictionary whenevr possible. I write down the word in my phone and I check the e-dictionary I have, whenever possible! It maybe according to the context or maybe If I forget the word, I check it!

Ofcourse reading helps me alot in attempting my papers. I read a lot, so I get good marks in english..[lol]

comments, read and you will have all the success with you, good vocabulary..widened imagination and what not..😊

Ananya

p.s nice discussion Mahi!

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? Yes reading does help you to a large extent to become a better writer because it broadens your mind and you tend to pick up things from other writers :)

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context? I don't really need a dictionary unless I am reading something scientificπŸ€“πŸ˜† However, if there is a word that I don't know the meaning of then I do make it a point to search it up even if I may forget it the next dayπŸ˜†

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better? If you're trying to make a point then yes quotes can help you otherwise you dont really need emπŸ˜›

Do you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?

Yeah. I think so. A lot.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context?

Ahhh nope. Skip 'em. It wont really matter. lol

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better?

Hmmm i guess. Kinda.
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Yeah it definately does. You tend to write similar to ur fav writer , it has definately improved me.
No, i try to figure it out by myself.
Yeah i think..

Enjoy discussing!  

Mahi

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? I think reading absolutely helps to a very large extent in improving our writing. Reading broadens our mind and develops our imagination and as we learn so many new words through the books we can incorporate them in our writing as well.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context? Yes sometimes i do check out the meaning of the word through the dictionary if the word is very difficult and many a times i try to figure the word out through the context.

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better? Yes quotes definetely give an edge to the writing and make it look like it's written by a professional writer or something lol but jokes apart quotes do help me in my school papers.
Absolutely wonderful topic diπŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited by Mysterygirl_me - 14 years ago
 DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? I think it definitely does. It makes your vocabulary so much better and gives you ideas. And if you know what a good piece of writing is like, you can make yours better.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context? I usually figure it out myself but I check a few out now and then. If its for school then I use a dictionary.

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better? We have to quote in most essays so now I do automatically.

Great discussion Mahi
~TJ~

Most definately! I was never into reading books until last year, but in my opinion, I think that I was a fairly decent writer πŸ˜† but ever since I actually started to read more complicated books, I personally think that my writing is a lot better now.
Not really, I'm not too keen on dictionaries πŸ˜† sometimes, if a word sounds interesting, I look it up, but otherwise, I don't really use the dictionary. πŸ˜› But I do use the thesaurus- my life!
Well, honestly speaking, I'm a huge quote freak! I love using quotes for everything! I think it does make a paper look better, esp. if the quote grabs the reader in...gets them interested you know?