-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 06 October 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Well, here I am presenting the ...

A number of studies suggest that reading really helps your writing skills
.  Reading increases your vocabulary, gives you an insight to what kinds of styles work and so on.

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?
Any additional comments are always welcome!

Enjoy discussing!  

***If you like this discussion, please press the LIKE button, that's how I'll keep track of what you all want.  If most of you don't like it, then we will avoid similar discussions in the future.***

Mahi

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

shellyttEatPrayLovestrawberry143guggutinatartariCavingInAnhdara13chhiltmimi0295AmbrosiaDelena-cious

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Discussion: Reading helps your writing?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Delena-cious

IF-Sizzlerz

Delena-cious

Posted: 06 October 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged

yes, its true reading helps alot as a writer as it broadens ones knowledge as well as their imagination power and also their vocabs

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context?

i do both, it depends on the word that come across while reading...i firstly go through the context and stil if it do not help me, i check with the dictionary :)

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better?

absolutely, quoting helps a lot and it also makes our writing better as well

wonderful discussion mahi

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

.  Reading increases your vocabulary, gives you an insight to what kinds of styles work and so on.

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? It definitely helped me a lot... I would never have thought about writing if it weren't for the fact that I'm a total bookworm ;) When you read different types of books you get a wider range of vocabulary and also insight on how you should tackle a certain piece of writing.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context? I rarely use a dictionary... I can usually figure it out by the context :P

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better? From personal experience... definitely... from personal experience, I've gotten extra marks on assignments for using quotes so I try to incorporate them into all kinds of writing :P
Any additional comments are always welcome! Great discussion as always, Mahi! :P

Enjoy discussing!  

***If you like this discussion, please press the LIKE button, that's how I'll keep track of what you all want.  If most of you don't like it, then we will avoid similar discussions in the future.***
Done! :P

Mahi

Edited by chhilt - 07 October 2009 at 6:35am

ammygurl

IF-Dazzler

ammygurl

Posted: 07 October 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged
Hi mahi!
Umm..yes...ofcourse reading helps in widening the vocabulary...and it really helps in writing...It has actually helped me a lot...Even reading a fanfic gives you soo many vibrant ideas man...

I check the dictionary whenevr possible. I write down the word in my phone and I check the e-dictionary I have, whenever possible! It maybe according to the context or maybe If I forget the word, I check it!

Ofcourse reading helps me alot in attempting my papers. I read a lot, so I get good marks in english..[lol]

comments, read and you will have all the success with you, good vocabulary..widened imagination and what not..Smile

Ananya

p.s nice discussion Mahi!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarrior

Angelic_J

IF-Veteran Member

Angelic_J

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 07 October 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? Yes reading does help you to a large extent to become a better writer because it broadens your mind and you tend to pick up things from other writers :)

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know?  Or do you just go by the context? I don't really need a dictionary unless I am reading something scientificGeekLOL However, if there is a word that I don't know the meaning of then I do make it a point to search it up even if I may forget it the next dayLOL

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school?  Does it make your paper/writing better? If you're trying to make a point then yes quotes can help you otherwise you dont really need emTongue

innocentdevil.

Goldie

innocentdevil.

Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged

Do you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer?

Yeah. I think so. A lot.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context?

Ahhh nope. Skip 'em. It wont really matter. lol

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better?

Hmmm i guess. Kinda.

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 11 October 2009 at 3:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Yeah it definately does. You tend to write similar to ur fav writer , it has definately improved me.
No, i try to figure it out by myself.
Yeah i think..

Enjoy discussing!  

Mahi

Mysterygirl_me

IF-Rockerz

Mysterygirl_me

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 12 October 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged

DO you think it's true? Does reading help you as a writer? I think reading absolutely helps to a very large extent in improving our writing. Reading broadens our mind and develops our imagination and as we learn so many new words through the books we can incorporate them in our writing as well.

Do you often check the dictionary while reading? To figure out the meanings of the words you didn't know? Or do you just go by the context? Yes sometimes i do check out the meaning of the word through the dictionary if the word is very difficult and many a times i try to figure the word out through the context.

Do you think it's helpful to use quotes especially for those of you still in school? Does it make your paper/writing better? Yes quotes definetely give an edge to the writing and make it look like it's written by a professional writer or something lol but jokes apart quotes do help me in my school papers.
Absolutely wonderful topic diClapClap

Edited by Mysterygirl_me - 12 October 2009 at 7:58am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top