Debate Mansion

Life and taking a life - when moral, when immoral? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 10

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

but humans too kill each other to survive eg war, defence, revenge, honor killings etc. I think it bcomes immoral to kill when we do it against our conscience.

veri nicely put... in name of excuses you mentioned people do mass killing without as much as a trip of remorse....

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Life and taking a life - when moral, when immoral? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged
As RTH would say, why so Sirius? Saturday morning and you're talking to me about morality, life, and death? My brain is fried from all the studying I've done in the last two weeks, now I'm going to be a selfish human being and do everything immoral. :)

_DrEaM_

IF-Rockerz

_DrEaM_

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Originally posted by angie.4u

what I m trying to  say is whethr an action that doesnt go against ones conscience wud constitute a sin irrespective of what others consider it 2 B. eg a fanatic kills with the firm belief that what he did was corect . we can call him delusional but to his own self he did right. What is more imp here -ones own blif or others?

What about an universal belief? (Or does it not exist?).

is a universal belief believed universally or is it constantly changing with time ?Tongue

i guess it does not exist as it changes so it's not universal....somehow with different culture or countries the beliefs never come at par

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

As RTH would say, why so Sirius? Saturday morning and you're talking to me about morality, life, and death? My brain is fried from all the studying I've done in the last two weeks, now I'm going to be a selfish human being and do everything immoral. :)

yeah you are right Waji...

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

GRRR! Yeh 'ji' ki bimari aapko kab se lag gayee hai?

Fair-n-luvly

IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged

Confirm ker loo kahin woh jiji tu nahi keh rahe thy or tumhare der se ji keh ker baat khatm ker diTongueLOL

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged
What is a life? What defines life? What characteristics does a thing need to possess in order to be classified as being 'living' or 'alive'? What differentiate a stone from a human, a humanoid robot from a bacteria?
The meaning of life is deeply mixed with the philosophical and religious conceptions of existence, consciousness, and happiness, and touches on many other issues, such as symbolic meaning, ontology, value, purpose, ethics, good and evil, free will, conceptions of God, the existence of God, the soul, and the afterlife. Scientific contributions are more indirect; by describing the empirical facts about the universe, science provides some context and sets parameters for conversations on related topics. An alternative, human-centric, and not a cosmic/religious approach is the question "What is the meaning of my life?" The value of the question pertaining to the purpose of life may be considered to be coincidal with the achievement of ultimate reality, if that is believed by one to exist.Smile

- Does life automatically proof consciousness/sentience? Does a bacteria have as much as consciousness as a human being has? Does a humanoid robot has any less consciousness than a bird?

The
meaning of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of human existence or biological life in general.Tongue

- What is death? Can a life be brought back from death? If a bacteria had been 'set to work' after years later, can it be said that the bacteria had been given or generated with a life? Or was it not dead to begin with?

Death is the termination of the biological functions that define a living organism. It refers to both a particular event and to the condition that results thereby. The true nature of the latter has for millennia been a central concern of the world's religious traditions and of philosophical enquiry. Many religions maintain a belief in either some kind of afterlife or rebirth. The effect of physical death on any possible mind or soulscientific community, death is frequently associated with a belief in materialism and the complete ending of mind or consciousness. Yet despite the common notion that this is a scientific viewpoint, consciousness itself has yet to be fully understood in science and psychology, and any view about the existence or non-existence of consciousness after death therefore remains a speculative belief.[1][2] remains for many an open question. Within the

- Is taking/ending a life intentionally morally wrong? Or is it only applicable for some particular form of life, and not others? Is taking the life of a goat any different from taking the life of a human being? Is taking the life of a virus any different from taking the life of a cow? (Please refrain from making any religious-oriented comment, for this point at least  - let's discuss it from purely ethical perspective). Is hunting morally wrong?

Kill, to cause the death of an organism, or the act of doing so.

- Is eating meat, fish, etc wrong as a life had to be slaughtered or killed down (unless, of course, one is feeding on a dead animal's remains)?

- Do plants/trees have consciousness? We do know they have life, what we do not know is if their consciousness is on the same level as animals'? Do they feel the equal amount of pain when they are cut off, or a part of them had been torn off? Is eating fruits and vegetables wrong?

A tree is a perennial woody plant. It is most often defined as a woody plant that has many secondary branches supported clear of the ground on a single main stem or trunk with clear apical dominance.[1] A minimum height specification at maturity is cited by some authors, varying from 3 m[2] to 6 m;[3] some authors set a minimum of 10 cm trunk diameter (30 cm girth).[4] Woody plants that do not meet these definitions by having multiple stems and/or small size, are called shrubs. Compared with most other plants, trees are long-lived, some reaching several thousand years old and growing to up to 115 m (379 ft) highSmile

- Do microbes have consciousness, too? Are we not murdering millions of microbes every time we breathe in?

- Is using insecticides wrong? When a mosquito sits on your arm, should you just 'shoo!' it away; will slapping and killing it be wrong? Is putting poisons used for killing rats, cockroaches, etc wrong as well? Should we walk one step and look below after every alternative seconds to see if any ant had been killed by being stepped on our foot?

An insecticide is a pesticide used against insects. They include ovicides and larvicides used against the eggs and larvae of insects respectively. Insecticides are used in agriculture, medicine, industry and the household. The use of insecticides is believed to be one of the major factors behind the increase in agricultural productivity in the 20th century[1]. Nearly all insecticides have the potential to significantly alter ecosystems; many are toxic to humans; and others are concentrated in the food chain.Embarrassed

I repeat, let's discuss this purely from an ethical perspective. Let's leave God and religion out, as religious topic do not turn out to be very impressive, especially when they are mixed with controversial subjects as this.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

_DrEaM_

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged

ok i will drop the ji... but i want to honor your mature thoughts.. so let me put it as HM Wa... is that good?LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top