Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Angelic_J

IF-Veteran Member

Angelic_J

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 02 October 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged

As I am pretty sure there are many of you out there who are going to receive some sort of post secondary education. Keeping that in mind we at the GD sections are bringing you some useful information regarding post secondary education. We will make this a weekly thread so every week we will discuss a new topic and for this week we have chosen to bring you the world's top ten Universities. This list is based on Academic Ranking of World Universities [ARWU]. At the end of the list we will ask you a few questions so please do answer them :)

# 1
Harvard University USA
# 2
Stanford University USA
# 3
University of California - Berkeley USA
# 4
University of Cambridge UK
# 5
Massachusetts Inst Tech (MIT) USA
# 6
California Inst Tech USA
# 7
Columbia University USA
# 8
Princeton University USA
# 9
 University of Chicago USA
# 10
 University of Oxford UK

OK guys so the list finishes here but do let us know what your thoughts are. Some basics questions you might ask yourself after looking over at the list:-

What do you think is the reason for United States education Institutions to be dominating the list? [There are 8 American institutions in the top ten list]

If you do not currently live in the United States, would you move there to get "best" of the education? Why or why not?

How come there are no Indian institutions on the top ten list? What are your reasons for them not being on the list?

Out of the top ten universities would you be interested in attending any one of them? If so which one? Please give reasons as to why or why not.

Thank You,
GD Dev. Team

Edited by Angelic_J - 08 October 2009 at 2:18pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

gk_09-aliyah-sattvikhoneydaisyJiannax143-Mystery-ROBlicious.DUGGUlicious-aditi-burgerchaap

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "*~*~*~ Top 10 Universities of the world *~*~*~" in College & University forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

gk_09

Global Moderator

gk_09

BollyCurry Buzzer, Crazy Creatives

Posted: 03 October 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the list JK! USA dominates the list! :P

Will edit and reply to the disc questions in a bit.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angelic_J

sattvik

IF-Dazzler

sattvik

Maniben.com Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 05 October 2009 at 3:01am | IP Logged
What do you think is the reason for United States education Institutions to be dominating the list? [There are 8 American institutions in the top ten list]

Because the way the universities are tested, is biased towards other countries. I did this is sociology, I forgot the term as this is a few months ago's work LOL but yes, it's like (insert American something here) -centric bias, I think.

If you do not currently live in the United States, would you move there to get "best" of the education? Why or why not?

India, it is my country and I love the place, it also seems like India's schools are bigger and more free and more like content in the curriculum, but I would love to spend a week or more in education in India as I don't know fully what it is like to learn in India.

How come there are no Indian institutions on the top ten list? What are your reasons for them not being on the list?

Because the way the universities are tested, is biased towards other countries. Basically its like Ethnocentric I think, if you measure things valued in India as important for education, most of the top Universities would be in India right? So the way of testing may be biased. Also, it helps attract clever people to the American Universities, of course they'll publish Unis in their countries as they want all the brainy guys to go there and move their university forward, I mean wouldn't you, if you had a university?
Out of the top ten universities would you be interested in attending any one of them? If so which one? Please give reasons as to why or why not.

I would rather study in India, India is where I'd like to live in the future, the weather is great, I can go Mandir when ever I want, if I need to go somewhere, I can just pull over a Rickshaw.... Indian life seems better but more busy, but its what attracts me. UK and USA have had enough lime light all these years in my opinion, it's time India got something back, from those that invaded them!

Thanks for the topic, was interesting to read/reply. I just wanted to make sure that I do tend to feel quite strongly about things, so don't take this too harsh if it sounds like it's too harsh..... Wink

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Ditto100hindu4lyfAngelic_J

Ishan.

Ishan.

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 05 October 2009 at 3:41am | IP Logged

Maybe because they are advanced in their fields and they teach only what is specific to the field. Also they have a good mix of faculty from all countries (even India) which helps them progress in the field.

Maybe. BTW now a days career oppurtunities are rising in India. The recession has attacked the US and UK very severly. But the Indian market is still secured compared to US. So I think within 2-3 years there would be good learning oppurtunities available in India.

Yeah thats really sad to know that there are no Indian institutions in the list. Though Indian syllabus is very vast and covers almost all aspects of the field, it is more theory oriented than practical one. People here just mug up answers write papers and then forget about it. I think the Indian Government should follow a syllabus which is more practical oriented.

lol if they are top 10 universities then getting admission into those universities will also be very difficult. BTW almost all Universities in US and UK are good. SO if u r getting a chance in a university which is at least in top 50 Universities among the world , then I think thats a really good option !!! Big smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfAngelic_J

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged
Awesome!

US does have a very good educational system!

A lot of universities in New England are just fabulous! Even the state universities have great programs and excel nationally and internationally!

-Mahi

Angelic_J

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 11 October 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged
Sorry I'm a lil busy atm so can't answer all the questions but just thought i'd mention that your list of best universities need updating.
I mean seriously, how could Yale university not be there? lol
Just this week a table was posted with the best unis in the world, obviously Harvard still being #1! But University College of London is also there, as well as Warwick University and Camrbidge University is in the top 5 too like your list suggests. I hope an Indian uni gets there one day! :)

lovely_lady

adiroykapur

Goldie

adiroykapur

Posted: 22 November 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged

Well i'd only like to add that I think American Universities allow students to think more independently and apply their knowledge with their curriculum. On the other hand, I feel as if Indian universities don't allow as much "free" thinking. I admit Indians are smarter because the education system is muchhh more complicated but I don't think you have to apply your knowledge as much.

Can I also add that Harvard has the highest suicide rate? not surprising!! lol 

Edited by Xserial_queenX - 22 November 2009 at 4:21pm

-Navi-

IF-Dazzler

-Navi-

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged
Okay so I'm a junior in High School right now...anyone have advice where should I apply for if I wanna become a Physicans assistant? I live in America so yeah I'll probably end up going to school here but I'm also looking into Toronto universities so if you're from Ontario then your advice is more than welcome :) Thanks really appreciate it :)

Post Reply New Post

Go to top