hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: Believe

Dont put your truth as a universal truth!!! 😃

👍🏼

Couldn't agree more.
i dont even know my family in india... i only met them once last year for the first time.. they are both sweeet  i guess..i started interacting with my indian cousins on orkut. but.. 🤔

i just know my mom aunt and her kids annd grandkids live in  canada.. i am vry close to them..😃

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Ajnu, in our desi culture - sons/brothers are supposed to help out their extended families even after they get married.  There are no materialistic expectations from the daughters.  On the contrary, daughters and her family is bestowed with gifts and love and affection when ever she visited her parents/brothers.

This is why most of us grow up seeing our dad doling out money to our paternal side of family where as we are only receiving from the maternal side of the family.  The rationale becomes clearer when one grows up a bit.  Deep down, both sides care for us and love us.  It's just that we see mostly one side manifesting it more than the other - hence the bias.

Thats soo true!
my dad is always giving money to his family 🤔
well not anymore cause both my grandparents died
when i  was younger i was close to my grandpa when they lived with us in US for like 3 years (when i was realllly young)

& i didnt really love/like them as much after.
idk i never really "loved" my grandma
she used to be really mean to my mom
created lots of troubles for her the 3 years they stayed with us

and my maternal family is really nice!
all of them! they're all funny & sweet
whereas my dad's side they all like to fight....all the things that have happened within my dad's family never happened with my mom's side.

im really close to my mama-ji
the one thats a few years older than my mom...he took care of me when i was born and a few years after.
He's always been very sweet to me  😳 😛

bu
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
For a desi I've been an odd one where I've been closer to my paternal family, rather than my maternal. In fact I don't even speak my mother tongue. My father tongue is my first language.

Part of the reason was that my maternal family was very detached and distant, and took a long time to start bonding with us. Another reason is that while I had my paternal family around growing up, a large part of my maternal family was overseas. I myself did not care much for my maternal family till my teens when I began to realize the value of family and relationships.

We are closer now, but they are too set in their ways for us to have a closer relationship. Although, there are some people in my maternal side I really like one of my uncles and my mom's maasi.

As for my paternal family. I find them to be the bestestest family in the world. Its been a blessing to have the most amazing paternal family and extended paternal family ever. The family is just so relaxed and laid back and easy to get along with. I can sit around and chat with my aunts, uncles, grand uncles and grand aunts just like I would with friends.

The best thing about my paternal family is that even if its cousins or relatives you have not met for eons, you do not have to worry what you will talk about or how you will get along. All you do is whip out a pack of cards and play 304. In fact all we seem to do is when family gets together is play 304. You are ostracized and outcast from the family if you do not have an obsession for 304. In fact the biggest evil you can do in my family is not like 304.

Also there is great food, you can always count on great food. You can always count on my paternal family to find the best place and best food to eat. You can also count on them to find good idli sambhar in France or Italy or even in the middle of nowhere corn country.
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

For a desi I've been an odd one where I've been closer to my paternal family, rather than my maternal. In fact I don't even speak my mother tongue. My father tongue is my first language.

Part of the reason was that my maternal family was very detached and distant, and took a long time to start bonding with us. Another reason is that while I had my paternal family around growing up, a large part of my maternal family was overseas. I myself did not care much for my maternal family till my teens when I began to realize the value of family and relationships.

We are closer now, but they are too set in their ways for us to have a closer relationship. Although, there are some people in my maternal side I really like one of my uncles and my mom's maasi.

As for my paternal family. I find them to be the bestestest family in the world. Its been a blessing to have the most amazing paternal family and extended paternal family ever. The family is just so relaxed and laid back and easy to get along with. I can sit around and chat with my aunts, uncles, grand uncles and grand aunts just like I would with friends.

The best thing about my paternal family is that even if its cousins or relatives you have not met for eons, you do not have to worry what you will talk about or how you will get along. All you do is whip out a pack of cards and play 304. In fact all we seem to do is when family gets together is play 304. You are ostracized and outcast from the family if you do not have an obsession for 304. In fact the biggest evil you can do in my family is not like 304.

Also there is great food, you can always count on great food. You can always count on my paternal family to find the best place and best food to eat. You can also count on them to find good idli sambhar in France or Italy or even in the middle of nowhere corn country.

aww i like your family :) 😆
i could be close to the people from my paternal family but most of them live in india...and i have two cousins who live in canada. Both are married...and one of them, my dad doesnt talk to :(
she's been in canada for a while now but we havent talked to her or seen her yet
and the other cousin, no one likes 😆 

I dont think we're as close as we could be with anyone from my family
when we were kids i was really close to my mamaji but lately we have stopped going to canada and all that...so im trying to push my mom to go there more often. It's always good to be close to family
baz786 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: MRS BANI WALIA

Do you like yor maternal family more or paternal family?Why?

both but paternal family all in uk so easier to see them. most stay close so i guess im closer to paternal.
maternal is all over the world some in uk, some in us and majority in pakistan but i do like it when maternal side come over here.

ps Ayesha im loving ur username n siggy i used to love watching kasam se and prachi was my fav 😃
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: MRS BANI WALIA

Do you like yor maternal family more or paternal family?Why?

maternal..paternal family competes with you for inheritance other things.....😉
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Okay, first things first - I was just kidding. It was supposed to be a somewhat sarcastic remark based on the typical desi stereotypes of loving maternal family members and evil paternal family members - we've all been down that road. Obviously, its not true.

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Ajnu, in our desi culture - sons/brothers are supposed to help out their extended families even after they get married.  There are no materialistic expectations from the daughters.  On the contrary, daughters and her family is bestowed with gifts and love and affection when ever she visited her parents/brothers.

This is why most of us grow up seeing our dad doling out money to our paternal side of family where as we are only receiving from the maternal side of the family.  The rationale becomes clearer when one grows up a bit.  Deep down, both sides care for us and love us.  It's just that we see mostly one side manifesting it more than the other - hence the bias.

Di, I totally agree, I was just being immature. You know, my mom always says that if you want to know how a guy will treat you, look at the way he treats his mother and sisters, and I really do believe that. I don't mind that my dad takes care of his family, because I know that I'd want my brother to do the same for our parents when he's older.

Originally posted by: Believe

Dont put your truth as a universal truth!!! 😃

My truth is universal in my world, doesn't mean it has to be the same in your's. For this instance though, as I said above, I was kidding.

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Okay, first things first - I was just kidding. It was supposed to be a somewhat sarcastic remark based on the typical desi stereotypes of loving maternal family members and evil paternal family members - we've all been down that road. Obviously, its not true.

Kidding thha toh smiley daalna thhaa na...yeh wala..😛.........😆

Originally posted by: *WohAjnabee*

Di, I totally agree, I was just being immature. You know, my mom always says that if you want to know how a guy will treat you, look at the way he treats his mother and sisters, and I really do believe that. I don't mind that my dad takes care of his family, because I know that I'd want my brother to do the same for our parents when he's older.

This is so true. 

MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Paternal families are always rude with mom.So I hate them.