Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Hazards of living - danger

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged

I came across this article on dangerous plants which might be useful

We were letting our dog play outside all day Sunday and upon checking on him found that he had yanked a small houseplant off of the deck and was chewing on the root of it. He chews on all kinds of plants in the yard and I thought of tossing it over the fence but figured he would just try to dig under to get it so unfortunately I let him keep it.

A couple hours later we let him in the house and he's foaming yellow froth, drooling, and shaking. 20 minutes later we are in the emergency vet and are told the prognosis is not good and he'll likely die.

The plant is called a Sago Palm and its highly poisonous to both pets and humans. A chemical in the plant called cycasin is toxic and often causes permanent liver damage as well as neurological damage if enough of the poison is absorbed by the body. The seeds are the most poisonous part of the plant and the effects on humans are seizures, coma and death.

Of course you and I wouldn't just yank off a chunk of this plant and gnaw on it but the seeds are colorful so if you have kids and Sago palm in your yard educate them on the danger or get rid of the plant.

Fortunately our dog was one of the lucky ones. I later discovered that our dog vomited the plant in the yard soon after swallowing it, and after 2 days in the vet on IV, and having a ball of charcoal inserted in his stomach, a test revealed that his liver was recovering and he came home. Sadly few people are aware of how dangerous this plant, many have lost their dogs, and even many veterinarians are unaware. This plant doesn't carry a warning label and is becoming popular in Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot so spread the word.

http://www.tonyspencer.com/2007/10/03/this-plant-will-kill-your-dog-and-maybe-your-kids/

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.DontKnow.

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged

Another hazard these days is a Nuclear Explosion which can kill us all in a jiffy.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.DontKnow.

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged
Gosh, this is a very common ornamental plant found in many household gardens. luckily I dont have it in my house but there R lots in my institute. never knew it cud B poisonous !
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 01 October 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Gosh, this is a very common ornamental plant found in many household gardens. luckily I dont have it in my house but there R lots in my institute. never knew it cud B poisonous !

There are several varieties of these plants as they look lovely. Certain types can cost a bomb too.

Edited by Summer3 - 01 October 2009 at 9:35pm
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged
To quote Scott Adams - I live my life like Helen Keller in a room full of Rubiks cubes. The very fact that I breathe air and exhibit signs of life is a dangerous thing.

Anyway, this is precisely why I do not believe in ornamentals, exotics, varieties or cultivars. It is sad how many pets and children are poisoned every year due to exotic ornamentals. You do not need fancy plants to make your yard look pretty. Use common local natives that are known to be safe for pets and humans.
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top