Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

plasticpolaroid

Goldie

plasticpolaroid

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 3:46am | IP Logged
Okay so I spent all day today watching some very effed up controversial movies for a project..i don't wanna go into details because there must be some squeamish people here..

anyhoo it made me wonder if there were any movies that were banned in India and found a list on Wikepedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_films#India
India

* 1959 - Neel Akasher Neechey was banned for two years for overt political overtones; it showed the troubles faced by an immigrant Chinese wage laborer in 1930s Calcutta
    * 1963 - Nine Hours to Rama was banned for depicting the psychological motivations / reasons of Nathuram Godse, the assassin of Mahatma Gandhi
    * 1970 - Kissa Kursi Ka was banned for political reasons.
    * 1971 - Sikkim (film) was banned for showing Chogyal ruled Sikkim as a sovereign state
    * 1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was banned for its "racist portrayal of Indians and overt imperialistic tendencies".[7] For example, the film shows chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in India, which in reality, contradicts the reverence Hindus have towards monkeys due to mythological character Hanuman in the epic Ramayana.
    * 1991 - Kutrapathirikkai was banned for 15 years for portraying the events that followed after Rajiv Gandhi's death. Was proclaimed to be a pro-LTTE film, justifying LTTE's activities. However, film was censored and released in 2007 after cuts on a large number of scenes.
    * 1992 - City of Joy was banned in Calcutta for showing the city in a bad light.
    * 1996 - Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (cut version available)
    * 1996 - Fire On its opening day in India, some movie theaters were attacked by Hindu fundamentalists, and the movie was eventually banned for religious insensitivity. The film was banned in Pakistan for the lesbian relationship that the movie plays around.
    * 2004 - Hava Aney Dey Banned in India for showing inter-communal tension

are there any more that

Edited by plasticpolaroid - 30 September 2009 at 3:52am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadOxideswan20.DontKnow.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "List of movies banned in India" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

RiyaK09

IF-Sizzlerz

RiyaK09

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 3:50am | IP Logged
I know of Black Friday, Girlfriend and Fire. Some of the movies in your list sound pretty disturbing. Monkey brains and allStern Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadOxide

plasticpolaroid

Goldie

plasticpolaroid

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 3:57am | IP Logged
i saw Indiana Jones Temple of Doom on TV as a kid, it had Amrish Puri as some Indian King and they showed indians eating monkey brains.. it wasn't that bad but i remember being grossed out..

City of Joy was booooring .we had to watch it for a Geography class at school... think it had Patrick Swayze and some desi actors.. i got into trouble for asking what it had to do with Geography.. the surly teacher wasn't happy.. ugh.. 

LeadOxide

plasticpolaroid

Goldie

plasticpolaroid

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:10am | IP Logged
They banned Fiza in Malaysia??? hmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_films

and hahaha some of the movies banned in other countries, specially the conservative and/or middle eastern countries and reasoning ARE HILARIOUS

They banned Babe in Malaysia!!! hahahahahah isn't that a kids' movie about a lovable pig????

Zoolander is banned in a few muslim countries for promoting homosexuality hehehe

1997: Seven Years in Tibet, for its view on a free Tibet. (Banned outright along with actors Brad Pitt and David Thewlis for life)

LeadOxide

RiyaK09

IF-Sizzlerz

RiyaK09

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:10am | IP Logged

Some Imtiaz fanatics here watched Black Friday and loved it. So I guess there is some truth to the monkey brain eating part. Yuck, I hope its not religion related.

Movies like Dostana release and do well, but Fire caused riots. Double standards much?

RiyaK09

IF-Sizzlerz

RiyaK09

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:13am | IP Logged

Kaminey almost got banned in some part of Bihar because Dhan Te Nan had "teli ka tel" in it lyrics, so some teli people were offended :S

They changed the song to "Delhi ka tel"

God Tussi Great Ho was banned in Dubai because Muslims didn't want to see a human as God.

LeadOxide

Salyanka

IF-Stunnerz

Salyanka

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:26am | IP Logged
for GTGH

i mean they could have done soemthing different gosh the aksa beaach song had BIg b name in it

so they chould have mak it into like

god choosed big Bs face..

RiyaK09

IF-Sizzlerz

RiyaK09

Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sallufanno1

for GTGH
i mean they could have done soemthing different gosh the aksa beaach song had BIg b name in it
so they chould have mak itinto like
god choosed big Bs face..

I know. How unfair, how can they ban a movie that has Sallu dancing on the sexy aksa beach number? *shakes head with disappointment*

LOL

Edited by RiyaK09 - 30 September 2009 at 4:30am

plasticpolaroid

Post Reply New Post

Go to top