Debate Mansion

Curbs on digitally 'enhanced' pics in ads?

Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Curbs on digitally 'enhanced' pics in ads?

"Concerned that girls and women feel excessive pressure to live up to the digitally botoxed and liposuctioned images of human perfection they see in glossy magazines, lawmakers in Britain and France are trying to push advertisers to get real.

Under their proposals, ads containing altered photos of models would be required to carry disclaimers.
"When teenagers and women look at these pictures in magazines, they end up feeling unhappy with themselves," said Jo Swinson, a British member of Parliament from the Liberal Democratic Party.

The Liberal Democrats, the third-largest party in Britain, after Labor and the Conservatives, adopted Swinson's proposal for a labeling system this month as part of their official platform. The party wants to ban altered photos entirely in ads aimed at children under 16..........http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/world/europe/New-Article/articleshow/5066318.cms"

-----

Should these curbs be implemented?

While its true that eventually it would be the stupidity of the girls if they really go after that "thinness" factor-i think curbing is a must for at least children under 16 as they are generally not mature enough and do form an opinion on various things based on these ads only.(though this can be true for adults alsoπŸ˜†).

However, i wonder whether the disclaimer part would help.πŸ˜•

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Young minds should be protected, especially from guys like this. There is no necessity for him to get so "friendly".
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
children around 16 these days can B more mature  than I cud evr guess πŸ˜‰ LOL
thinness is so not cooool.. πŸ˜’..  oh..! what i'd give to gain  those 30 pounds.. πŸ˜†
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: angie.4u

children around 16 these days can B more mature than I cud evr guess πŸ˜‰LOL

πŸ˜† chalo phir we'll put disclaimer for those ages and a ban for adultsπŸ˜†

Originally posted by: Meena1

thinness is so not cooool.. πŸ˜’.. oh..! what i'd give to gain those 30 pounds..πŸ˜†

what ?πŸ˜†

Originally posted by: clodpolish

what ?πŸ˜†

LOL.. what as in.. you are confused what.. or what as in what i'd give..πŸ˜†
πŸ˜†Edited by Meena1 - 14 years ago
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: Meena1

LOL.. what is in.. you are confused what.. or what as in what i'd give..πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

oh !- mujhe to pata hi nahin thaπŸ˜›πŸ˜†

Originally posted by: clodpolish

oh !- mujhe to pata hi nahin thaπŸ˜›πŸ˜†

Ok you got me confused now..πŸ˜†
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I object!

What then will the Photoshop maestros do with their art. What then will these men and women do with their God bestowed gifts. A click here and a click there, a few airbrushed strokes by the abs and the hair - and a feat that cannot be performed even by the finest plastic surgeons unveils itself.

I think instead of banning airbrushed photos they should focus on making parents and teachers be positive role models. No one decides that looking like a hungry Somalian is sexy because a skeleton dons Calvin Klein undies. Its a long process of social brainwashing - focus on the problem not throw random darts at irrelevant issues.

My role model is Queen Latifah.
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I object!

What then will the Photoshop maestros do with their art. What then will these men and women do with their God bestowed gifts. A click here and a click there, a few airbrushed strokes by the abs and the hair - and a feat that cannot be performed even by the finest plastic surgeons unveils itself.

Can photoshop only be used for photos of humans? !

I think instead of banning airbrushed photos they should focus on making parents and teachers be positive role models.No one decides that looking like a hungry Somalian is sexy because a skeleton dons Calvin Klein undies. Its a long process of social brainwashing - focus on the problem not throw random darts at irrelevant issues.

Don't you think curbs on them would help in the process of social brainwashing too? By curbing, we are putting across the view that yes, this thing is wrong, its unrealistic - get real !