Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

Boundless Circle l Short story - Page 2

innocentdevil. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Woah this story was amazing. Very creative writing. I know someone who can relate to this and it was upsetting to see someone you know like this.

However very nice short story. I don't see a reason for anyone to judge ANY character. I mean quitting something like alcohol is not easy. It takes time and sometimes it never changes.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: ishan.k

OMG NEeta its a wonderful story with emotional  moments !!! Its awesome neeta. U have got excellent writing skills !!! 👏

Thankyou Ishan! 😃 Glad you liked it 😃
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: daffodils.dudu

gr8 one dii 👏

Thanks! 😃
Prasanthi thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
That was so well written Lizi. I loved the way you have narrated this one which deals with the trivial issue of alcoholism. Cheers Sweetheart for your effort!!!!!
*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

man... u write so good 😆 i love how you can do that... just pick a topic and you could write a whole story with that alone. its really cool that you chose this topic too.. it was very well written and everything.. i feel bad for the girl when she was a kid  i never realized how much that could affect someone.. thanks for sharing your story with us 😳😃

U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: smriti.tweety

* reserved *

Will be back after I have given it some thought. A prompt comment wouldn't do justice to the theme :)

And I am back after having thought this one over :D

Hey girl!

Firstly a big pat on the back for posting something on a subject as mature and tough as alcoholism! ⭐️

Thanks Smriti 😊

Knowing it was you who had done it I was sure it wouldn't edge on being dramatic; something easily possible with the subject and the history of how our films tend to portray it.

Our films negatively glamorize alcoholism. Period. They make the alcoholic look like some kind of a dangerous monster.

Its quite a serious issue in itself and I loved the sensitivity you have shown towards it.  Thanks a ton! :)

I think the strength of it lay in it being simple and subtle. The interplay between the narrator's past and experience of the other member was something unique; haven't read anything like that and no, you didn't confuse me. The nave hopes of the teenager have been aptly and beautifully articulated. The eventual realization of the hard-hitting reality serving only as an impetus to change the direction of hope, hope remains nevertheless! That I feel is the reality of growing up, hopes tend to find a rationale.

I'm glad you weren't confused, it was one thing I was apprehensive about. Heck, who am I kidding ? I was apprehensive about posting this thing 😆 lol, jokes apart, Thanks Smriti. I tried to make it as simple and realistic as possible. It is very difficult to not make an alcoholic seem like a bad person, because it's very simple to point a finger at one and say that 'Hey, you're a pathetic loser cuz you're into alcohol'.

And yes, hope is one of the feelings I deeply identify with, I guess it just reflects in my writings 😊

A special mention for bringing out that being an alcoholic has nothing to do with one being essentially good or bad. Like any other individual he/she is a victim of an addiction. To an extent its like saying that 'Old habits die hard!'

Exactly. An alcoholic is not essentially a bad person, infact, they're victims themselves. They need help. That's it, that's all they need 😊

The sense of relief and contentment were all realistic and humane. It stems from an assurance that you aren't the only one at the receiving end of the misery. A sense of kinship and security is but natural!

Yes, I guess when one realizes that you're not the only one who has been through this, then the pain...lessens, in a way. To know that there are people who won't laugh at you when you say that you're from an alcoholic family, to know that they won't shun you, to know that you can simply be yourself, is a great feeling; almost euphoric.

I happen to love the prayer you chose to include; in a way its similar what I have stated earlier about the change in the direction of hope.

It's a customary prayer in the AA groups, I have it photoframed and it hangs in my room :) and although I don't believe in god, sometimes when I look at it, I feel as though I might find my faith someday afterall :)

All in all a wonderful attempt at the unconventional, a good way of conveying that the first step to solving a problem is the acceptance that there is a problem!

You know, you're bang on there. One of the main problems with alcoholism is that denial comes along with it. Many people simply refuse to accept that they're 'addicts' and 'need help'. They feel they're ok, that everything is ok. It takes a long time to simply accept that somewhere, there is a problem. I'm glad you noticed that :)

Love

Smriti

P.s. I happen to love the Gulab Jamun and Vanilla ice cream combo😉Really ? It's my fav!  

Thanks Smriti! 🤗
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: aish_punk

Hey Neeta..great story..

u made me think of an alchoholic in a different way..i used to think of him as a bad person..but he actually isnt..its just out of habit n fate..

i think u potrayed the emotions really beautifully..n enjoyed reading it..! :) it just depicted the pain so well..

it was sorta ironic that the protagonist and the narrator shared the same story?!

do write more

-Aish

Hey Aish! 😃

I'm glad I could change your perspective about the alcoholic..to some extent :) They are not bad people, they're simply ill :)

Actually the protagonist and the narrator were both sitting in a group called 'AA', like I've explained it after the story ended. They share their experiences with the rest of the group, since all their problems stem from one issue (alcoholism), there are bound to be similarites 😊

Thanks again! Glad you liked it :)
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ShadowKiss

Woah this story was amazing. Very creative writing. I know someone who can relate to this and it was upsetting to see someone you know like this.

However very nice short story. I don't see a reason for anyone to judge ANY character. I mean quitting something like alcohol is not easy. It takes time and sometimes it never changes.

Thanks alot :)

Well alot of people judge alcoholics and people from alcoholic families. The word 'alcoholism' itself exudes alot of negative vibes, I haven't seen/met one person who doesn't cringe when I utter 'alcohol addict'.

Anyway, thanks a ton for commenting! glad you liked it :D
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Prasanthi

That was so well written Lizi. I loved the way you have narrated this one which deals with the trivial issue of alcoholism. Cheers Sweetheart for your effort!!!!!

Thanks Di! 😃
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: *Nishi*

man... u write so good 😆 i love how you can do that... just pick a topic and you could write a whole story with that alone. its really cool that you chose this topic too.. it was very well written and everything.. i feel bad for the girl when she was a kid  i never realized how much that could affect someone.. thanks for sharing your story with us 😳😃

aww thanks a ton!

yeah, alcoholism can have extremely adverse effects on a person, it may not show on the surface, but it has a major role to play in altering one's personality.

thanks once again for commenting! 😊