Debate Mansion

Online Fraud and cheatings how common? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 3:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Good one. But crooks are hiding everywhere.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Online Fraud and cheatings how common? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 5:33am | IP Logged
i don't buy much online but when i do i only buy from trusted sites with pay-pal but yes online-fraud is a very common thing nowadays its quite worrying but alot is being done to counter it pay-pal, online banking having security codes etc

Meena1

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by baz786

i don't buy much online but when i do i only buy from trusted sites with pay-pal but yes online-fraud is a very common thing nowadays its quite worrying but alot is being done to counter it pay-pal, online banking having security codes etc
Here are a few tips to prevent being conned

Recognising and dealing with internet fraud

You may be the victim of internet fraud if:

you have paid for an item online and it does not arrive you sell something online and you don't receive payment
  • the item you receive doesn't match the original description you were given

If you think you have been conned:

check with the company you dealt with to see if you can resolve the problem if you have a problem with an item bought or sold using on an auction site, like eBay, check with them to see if they can do anything about it if you paid for goods using a credit card and the goods did not arrive you can ask the credit card company to investigate
  • if you used an online payment service, check if you are covered by a fraud protection scheme on the service website

You have the same rights buying online as over the phone or by mail order. You can find out more on the Consumer Direct website and this helpline: 08454 04 05 06, or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Schemes to watch out for

The internet provides criminals with an easy way to contact thousands of people at a time. Examples include, emails offering the chance to take part in money making schemes, or claiming you are the winner of a prize draw.

You can avoid being a victim of internet fraud by:

remembering - if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is taking your time making decisions that involve parting with money getting independent financial advice before making investments only doing business with companies that you recognise or know of by recommendation by someone you trust - don't judge a company on how 'professional' their website looks
  • if in any doubt, you can check a company is genuine by looking them up on Companies House or the Financial Services Authority websites - if they are they will be registered

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

_DrEaM_baz786Meena1

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Originally posted by baz786

Here are a few tips to prevent being conned

Recognising and dealing with internet fraud

You may be the victim of internet fraud if:

• you have paid for an item online and it does not arrive
  • you sell something online and you don't receive payment
  • the item you receive doesn't match the original description you were given

If you think you have been conned:

• check with the company you dealt with to see if you can resolve the problem
  • if you have a problem with an item bought or sold using on an auction site, like eBay, check with them to see if they can do anything about it
  • if you paid for goods using a credit card and the goods did not arrive you can ask the credit card company to investigate
  • if you used an online payment service, check if you are covered by a fraud protection scheme on the service website

You have the same rights buying online as over the phone or by mail order. You can find out more on the Consumer Direct website and this helpline: 08454 04 05 06, or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Schemes to watch out for

The internet provides criminals with an easy way to contact thousands of people at a time. Examples include, emails offering the chance to take part in money making schemes, or claiming you are the winner of a prize draw.

You can avoid being a victim of internet fraud by:

• remembering - if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is
  • taking your time making decisions that involve parting with money
  • getting independent financial advice before making investments
  • only doing business with companies that you recognise or know of by recommendation by someone you trust - don't judge a company on how 'professional' their website looks
  • if in any doubt, you can check a company is genuine by looking them up on Companies House or the Financial Services Authority websites - if they are they will be registered

thanks summer

very helpful

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged
Actually one of my former co-worker was an ebay scammer. Technically and legally he was not a scammer. Ethically and morally he was a big time scammer. When PS2 came out he thought it would be fun to see if anyone would buy a display box. He put one on E-bay as PS2 Display Model - and put in a small disclaimer way somewhere hidden - this is a display box, console not included. Someone bought it for thrice the going price. Apparently there is a big group of people who are desperate to get their hands on new consoles. Whenever new consoles came out he would go to stores and collect trashed promo display boxes and then sell it on E-bay. Eventually people caught on. Ebay shut his account. The cops even came and interrogated him - but since it was not illegal - he did not even get misdemeanor charges - no crime record.

Although from a previous job experience - I have come to accept and believe completely in the theory - people are fools, it just needs someone to take advantage of it. I firmly believe that if you got scammed - you deserve to be scammed. Most people fall to their own greed.

Edited by return_to_hades - 24 September 2009 at 10:23pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

_DrEaM_Meena1

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 25 September 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Actually one of my former co-worker was an ebay scammer. Technically and legally he was not a scammer. Ethically and morally he was a big time scammer. When PS2 came out he thought it would be fun to see if anyone would buy a display box. He put one on E-bay as PS2 Display Model - and put in a small disclaimer way somewhere hidden - this is a display box, console not included. Someone bought it for thrice the going price. Apparently there is a big group of people who are desperate to get their hands on new consoles. Whenever new consoles came out he would go to stores and collect trashed promo display boxes and then sell it on E-bay. Eventually people caught on. Ebay shut his account. The cops even came and interrogated him - but since it was not illegal - he did not even get misdemeanor charges - no crime record.

Although from a previous job experience - I have come to accept and believe completely in the theory - people are fools, it just needs someone to take advantage of it. I firmly believe that if you got scammed - you deserve to be scammed. Most people fall to their own greed.
Interesting but sad. Recent US Financial Crisis originated from such overvalued assets and bad loan accounts cheating scam too. Professionals were behind it and they did not stop it and instead got fat bonuses.
Several fradulent investment schemes are operated from Philippines and a few other countries. Also some African countries are notorious for such things and operated out of Nigeria.
South American countries too cannot be outdone, they a have all kinds of schemes including stories of monies or inheritence being stuck or jammed etc.
Saddest part is even poor retirees are cheated; especially by young China or other ladies.
Ah most people are clean but a few bad hats are enough to cause problems to the rest of the world.

Meena1

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 September 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged
Fraud - like an email i got today

hello my dear,
hope the sun rise get's you well and you are enjoying the weather, mine
weather is cold and cloudy today, it was very great when i get your profile at www.onlinedatingrights.com
and i felt a great spark in my heart despite that i have not seen you in person
but your profile really give me a nice pleasure to communicate with you
and see how the sun will shine's like. you can reach me via for easiest
communication and never mind as hecould not view my pics here but i
will send them immidiately i hear from you via email    faithkoneh@ymail.com
have a nice day with love & hugssssss
yours sincerely
Faith

_DrEaM_

IF-Rockerz

_DrEaM_

Posted: 26 September 2009 at 5:09am | IP Logged
RTH that was something i mean how he cleverly put up the fraud but yea it's sad too.....

fraud emails are getting much much popular nowadays especially those stating you have won lottery send your info to claim i wonder how people trust and send personal info without enquiring lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice topic summer ji and thanks for sharing

Post Reply New Post

Go to top