Online Fraud and cheatings how common?

Posted: 14 years ago
Online Frauds and cheatings seem to be the "In Thing" these days.
Often due to our own greed we fall for it especially when offered at huge discounts.

Sep 24, 2009
Golf club scam
International syndicate sells fake equipment to eBay customers
Briton Gary Bellchambers is the alleged mastermind of the counterfeiting network, which sold the fake-brand goods, manufactured in China, globally. -- PHOTO: THE TIMES

LONDON - AN INTERNATIONAL network of criminals duped eBay customers into paying millions of pounds for counterfeit golf clubs in the largest fraud of its kind, British media reported on Wednesday.

Briton behind four-year online fraud
THE scam's alleged mastermind, Gary Bellchambers, a 45-year-old Briton, travelled frequently to China to source for counterfeit golf clubs.

His six co-conspirators, who deny conspiracy charges, are said to have managed accounts or acted as distributors.
One golfer a month swindled in Singapore
AT LEAST one person a month in Singapore is swindled by online vendors peddling fake golf clubs. And there is little that big-name golf manufacturers can do to help them.

Mr Rick Brown, brand manager of Titleist and Cobra Acushnet Singapore, said that typically, customers find out that their online purchase is counterfeit only when they turn up at the store with a defective product.
The alleged mastermind of the 'counterfeiting empire', which sold fake goods, from golf clubs, clothing and accessories, to passes for an airline lounge, was Gary Bellchambers, 45, a Briton.

The prosecution told a London court on Tuesday that the four-year scam had been of a 'truly global nature', and eBay called it the 'single largest counterfeiting conspiracy yet uncovered' on their website, the Times newspaper said.

Prosecutor Adam Davies said that 'large sums' were continually being transferred between accounts held by Bellchambers in Britain and Thailand. A sum of 73,000 (S$170,000) was transferred to one of the accounts in a month, he added.

'Nearly every major golf brand has been affected by the sale of counterfeit goods through the eBay accounts. It is the belief of the fraud investigation unit at eBay that this case represents the single largest counterfeiting conspiracy yet uncovered on their website,' he said.

From mid-2003 to early last year, the network was responsible for the sale and distribution of millions of pounds' worth of counterfeit goods both in the UK and abroad, primarily through eBay, the court was told.

'This is a conspiracy of a truly global nature. Conspirators are thought to have been based in the UK, Thailand, Australia, Germany, Singapore, the US, Hong Kong, China - and goods have been distributed from, or to, all those countries and more,' Mr Davies said.

The court heard that the downfall of the 'counterfeiting empire' had been triggered by a pensioner, Ms Christine Manz. She had bought clubs from Bellchambers but, unhappy with their quality, she asked for a refund.

Her letters to Bellchambers went unanswered as he was abroad at the time. Ms Manz then turned to the trading standards office in east London. Her complaint sparked an investigation, which led to raids at a string of addresses and the recovery of a 'large quantity' of fake clubs.

On Tuesday, the court was told that Bellchambers and two others had admitted to conspiring to sell or distribute golf clubs, clothing and accessories, bearing signs identical to, or likely to be mistaken for, registered trademarks. Bellchambers also admitted to two offences of unauthorised use of trademarks. The trial is expected to last three months.

thanks for sharing Summer jii..

this is one side dark side of the internet age.. anyone can be duped..
except me ofcourse..😎 i dont buy much online, only books..😆
Originally posted by Meena.

thanks for sharing Summer jii..

this is one side dark side of the internet age.. anyone can be duped..
except me ofcourse..😎 i dont buy much online, only books..😆

Good. But be careful.
Once an Indian fortune teller wearing a turban came to our office and the most konjush colleague of ours gave away his watch and some money. Later after the Forutune Teller was gone he realsied he had been duped. So even the cleverest can be fooled by people who have hardly studied a thing.
I don't buy anythin as well if i had to buy what should i buy...kisko trust karoon s3?🤣
Originally posted by mahikhan

I don't buy anythin as well if i had to buy what should i buy...kisko trust karoon s3?🤣

Mahi sis online purchases from reputable stores is fine.😆
Not everyone is a crook or a goonda.
Originally posted by Summer3

Mahi sis online purchases from reputable stores is fine.😆
Not everyone is a crook or a goonda.
Okay.....😉🤣
Originally posted by mahikhan

Okay.....😉🤣
Be careful of this face n run if u see him. Name Gabbar Singh

Originally posted by Believe

Good one. But crooks are hiding everywhere.

i don't buy much online but when i do i only buy from trusted sites with pay-pal but yes online-fraud is a very common thing nowadays its quite worrying but alot is being done to counter it pay-pal, online banking having security codes etc
Originally posted by baz786

i don't buy much online but when i do i only buy from trusted sites with pay-pal but yes online-fraud is a very common thing nowadays its quite worrying but alot is being done to counter it pay-pal, online banking having security codes etc
Here are a few tips to prevent being conned

Recognising and dealing with internet fraud

You may be the victim of internet fraud if:

you have paid for an item online and it does not arrive you sell something online and you don't receive payment
  • the item you receive doesn't match the original description you were given

If you think you have been conned:

check with the company you dealt with to see if you can resolve the problem if you have a problem with an item bought or sold using on an auction site, like eBay, check with them to see if they can do anything about it if you paid for goods using a credit card and the goods did not arrive you can ask the credit card company to investigate
  • if you used an online payment service, check if you are covered by a fraud protection scheme on the service website

You have the same rights buying online as over the phone or by mail order. You can find out more on the Consumer Direct website and this helpline: 08454 04 05 06, or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Schemes to watch out for

The internet provides criminals with an easy way to contact thousands of people at a time. Examples include, emails offering the chance to take part in money making schemes, or claiming you are the winner of a prize draw.

You can avoid being a victim of internet fraud by:

remembering - if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is taking your time making decisions that involve parting with money getting independent financial advice before making investments only doing business with companies that you recognise or know of by recommendation by someone you trust - don't judge a company on how 'professional' their website looks
  • if in any doubt, you can check a company is genuine by looking them up on Companies House or the Financial Services Authority websites - if they are they will be registered