Debate Mansion

Jobs with satification or lots or money (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged
As per Mazlow's theory there is a hierarchy of needs in every human being. 1) physiological ( food, sleep...) , - 2)security-  3) love, belonging- 4) esteem 5) self actualisation
 This is in ascending order. when first need is met we move on to the next & so on...Our decisin about a job will depend on which needs have been met.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

baz786Meena1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Jobs with satification or lots or money (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged

As many people in this thread have pointed out already, balance is the key here. Income and job satisfaction are equally important aspects of a job.

We need income to sustain and pay our expenditures. It is essential that our job provide us the income to fulfill our basic needs as well as indulge in other interests. Sometimes the more the better. Honestly, who would not want a nicer car, more overseas vacations and other perquisites of a well earning job.  

On the other hand satisfaction is equally important. You need to enjoy your job and feel good about it. As humans we all need an environment that provides us aspects of respect, socialization, friendship, comfort etc.  The more you enjoy your job, the more easier life seems to get.  However, lack of job satisfaction can be frustrating. When a person starts feeling overworked, treated unfairly and not respected for what they do, it affects not just their job but the dissatisfaction creeps into their life and they can no longer enjoy the benefits of high income.

The balance between the two completely depends on the person's situation in life and their needs and wants. A person with family and financial responsibilities cannot compromise income for satisfaction. Someone in debt and financial burdens will also aim for higher income and care less for satisfaction. People residing in low cost of living communities have the benefit of seeking better satisfaction instead of income. People with accumulated or inherited wealth can also afford to choose satisfaction over income.

It also depends on the composure of the person. Some people are really thick skinned and can take immense loads of nonsense at work, and never care about it. Some people can actually put in all the amount of time and effort needed to make a lot.  Others are sensitive, they cannot cope with work challenges and need more satisfying environments. Some others are unwilling to put in the extra time and effort to make more money, they would rather have a family dinner or hang out with friends than those lucrative hours of overtime.

In my situation personally, I have found that for me job satisfaction is far more significant than income. Working in a small business after years in corporate environments has come like a massive relief. I'm not getting the income and benefits of a corporate pay package, but the relaxed environment is so much more worth it.  In corporate if I fell sick and needed to go home the supervisor would be a snot. I had to bring in doctors reports if I was out sick too long. Now even if I look dreary one day, they ask if I need to go home. If something last minute comes up, I do not have to jump hoops to get time off, I just do. Best of all I can say 'WTF' 'are you effing kidding me' and not get fired about it.

Basically I think the importance of income vs satisfaction can be broken down as follows

Teenager starting on first job satisfaction is more important. This is the learning process phase. Teens are less patient and if they do not like a job performance goes down, and being fired is never good. Parents are also more concerned with holding a job rather than income.

Student paying through college, or freshman working to pay of loans obviously income is the operative.

Single career starters Unless in a high cost of living city, single career starters have the ability to choose satisfaction over income. Although the practicals who want to 'save' for future will choose higher income.

Families Income many mouths to feed, responsibilities to keep

Retirees Satisfaction Unless the person is still financially unstable most retirement jobs are for recreation. Retirees also like to be leisurely at work.

baz786Meena1

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 4:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

As many people in this thread have pointed out already, balance is the key here. Income and job satisfaction are equally important aspects of a job.

We need income to sustain and pay our expenditures. It is essential that our job provide us the income to fulfill our basic needs as well as indulge in other interests. Sometimes the more the better. Honestly, who would not want a nicer car, more overseas vacations and other perquisites of a well earning job.  

On the other hand satisfaction is equally important. You need to enjoy your job and feel good about it. As humans we all need an environment that provides us aspects of respect, socialization, friendship, comfort etc.  The more you enjoy your job, the more easier life seems to get.  However, lack of job satisfaction can be frustrating. When a person starts feeling overworked, treated unfairly and not respected for what they do, it affects not just their job ' but the dissatisfaction creeps into their life ' and they can no longer enjoy the benefits of high income.

The balance between the two completely depends on the person's situation in life and their needs and wants. A person with family and financial responsibilities cannot compromise income for satisfaction. Someone in debt and financial burdens will also aim for higher income and care less for satisfaction. People residing in low cost of living communities have the benefit of seeking better satisfaction instead of income. People with accumulated or inherited wealth can also afford to choose satisfaction over income.

It also depends on the composure of the person. Some people are really thick skinned and can take immense loads of nonsense at work, and never care about it. Some people can actually put in all the amount of time and effort needed to make a lot.  Others are sensitive, they cannot cope with work challenges and need more satisfying environments. Some others are unwilling to put in the extra time and effort to make more money, they would rather have a family dinner or hang out with friends than those lucrative hours of overtime.

In my situation personally, I have found that for me job satisfaction is far more significant than income. Working in a small business after years in corporate environments has come like a massive relief. I'm not getting the income and benefits of a corporate pay package, but the relaxed environment is so much more worth it.  In corporate if I fell sick and needed to go home the supervisor would be a snot. I had to bring in doctors reports if I was out sick too long. Now even if I look dreary one day, they ask if I need to go home. If something last minute comes up, I do not have to jump hoops to get time off, I just do. Best of all I can say 'WTF' 'are you effing kidding me' and not get fired about it.

Basically I think the importance of income vs satisfaction can be broken down as follows

Teenager starting on first job ' satisfaction is more important. This is the learning process phase. Teens are less patient and if they do not like a job performance goes down, and being fired is never good. Parents are also more concerned with holding a job rather than income.

Student paying through college, or freshman working to pay of loans ' obviously income is the operative.

Single career starters ' Unless in a high cost of living city, single career starters have the ability to choose satisfaction over income. Although the practicals who want to 'save' for future will choose higher income.

Families ' Income ' many mouths to feed, responsibilities to keep

Retirees ' Satisfaction ' Unless the person is still financially unstable most retirement jobs are for recreation. Retirees also like to be leisurely at work.

WOW RTH

i did not expect anything less from you excellent analysis and breakdown Clap

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

baz786Summer3

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged

Ufff itni lambi lectures......LOLEvery job ki peeche ek lambi kahani hoti hey.....In Different situation people adjest/fight/angry/enjoy with their job responsiblities....if you have a job you cant escape from your responsiblities....Smiletry to Enjoy whatever you doing...Smile

baz786

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 3:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Meena.

Originally posted by baz786

Hi Guys

this is my very first debate on DM so please forgive me if i make any mistakes.

Basically i wanted views and opinions on jobs that bring personal satifaction and happiness or jobs where lots of money can be made.  My personal view is money doesn't really matter as long as you can provide a good life for you and your family so for me i'd rather do a job i know i was happy doing and brings me great personal safisfaction as opposed to doing a job that paid loads but i hated it.

Please Do provide your views on the topic being discussed

Also can you guys please come up with a more suitable title and i'll change it

Thanks

Baz.. i am soo sorry.. i totally forgot abt this topic...Ermm.. you should have reminded me..AngryAngry...LOLLOL

lol... i think i've been in both situations.. Tongue

i got a job working with the Feds right out of college.. the agency was recruiting on campus and i got selected.. Tongue i was ubber excited to start the jobbb.. i got the offer in September but didnt start till like January.. i even started crossing out days on the calander to make the start date come soooner..LOLLOL.. i thought that was my ideal job. goood pay.. great opportunity to work in the government.. i was waiting to learnn sooo muchhh... but those views ofcourse changed when i started the job...Ouch..

i hated it... i didnt learn much.. infact nothinggg.. there were bunch of fresh graduates who started with me.. i became real goood friends with them.. but there was hardly any work for us and the work we got tht they expected us to spend a week on was done in a few hours..LOLLOL.. i guess when you are in the state/federal system you shouldnt except llearn much.. primarily because these jobs are unionized..  and you cant be fired unless you dooo something real bad..ie. kill someone.. we had our probationary periods but none of the supervisors cared..  i was soo excited to complete my evaluation.. i wrote paragraph after paragraph writing on how i wanna learn more.. and was hoping my supervisor would write detailed feedback but was shattered when all he wrote were one word feed backk.. "excellent" 'excellent".. ughhh thats when i am like what the heck am i doing here.. i need to get out of here.. LOLLOL.. they offered me retention package but i refusedd .. i felt i was back at where i started. didnt learn anything....Ouch.. but i had to complete  a year so it doesnt look bad on ur resume... i think I learned more working at Key Food in high school then working here..Confused..LOL
Ouch
although i loved the out of state training.. i got to goo too soo many places.. loved the hotels.. met soo many top government officials.. made goood contacts..

i went for job searching all over again.. i only had two options. i wanted to quit the other place soo badly.. it was either a good job something i'd like and enjoy or going back to school..

i got two goood job offers.. an advertising company and an investment bank..  IB paid a lot more then the ad company.. ad company supervisors were alot more up-beat and full of life.. whereas the IB people just appeared as machines.. i was told the work can gooo into the wee hours of the morning ShockedShockedShocked but thats a small price to pay when you loook at those year end bonuses..

i was in a dillema.. my friends wanted me to work for the IB.. and my parents wanted me to work for Ad comp.. cuz work wouldnt be as hectic and i can start schoool part-tim... first time i thought my parents made more sense then friends..LOLLOL i took the ad company job.. Tongue i think i made a wise choice.. cuz the perks here are great here.. they are paying for my post-graduate degree... thats like 40k a year.. and i started studying for my gmats and lsats right away..LOL

now back to your question.. i made the choices i made since i hardly have any responsilities at home.. only paying utilities and wagera.. plus only a few thousands left on my undergrad student loans.. But had i had to pay the mortgage and run a family i would have gone with the IB.. mostly job decisions are influenced more by your family situation then your personal preferences. i could have hated the job.. but if it brought a decent living for my family i would've taken it..

PS.  sorry for the long answers... i was just free writing.. some of the events maybe out of order.. i am too lazy to go back and check. but you can ask questions..  now if you are confused all together then i cant help...LOLLOLLOL

Meena that was great and your response wasn't long it was an interesting read, the feeling i'm getting is that the general consensus is the same it all depends upon family situation

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Ufff itni lambi lectures......LOLEvery job ki peeche ek lambi kahani hoti hey.....In Different situation people adjest/fight/angry/enjoy with their job responsiblities....if you have a job you cant escape from your responsiblities....Smiletry to Enjoy whatever you doing...Smile

LOL LOL believe u made made laugh with ur lambhi lecture comment

postive way to look at things nice Smile

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Meena.

Originally posted by baz786

Hi Guys

this is my very first debate on DM so please forgive me if i make any mistakes.

Basically i wanted views and opinions on jobs that bring personal satifaction and happiness or jobs where lots of money can be made.  My personal view is money doesn't really matter as long as you can provide a good life for you and your family so for me i'd rather do a job i know i was happy doing and brings me great personal safisfaction as opposed to doing a job that paid loads but i hated it.

Please Do provide your views on the topic being discussed

Also can you guys please come up with a more suitable title and i'll change it

Thanks

Baz.. i am soo sorry.. i totally forgot abt this topic...Ermm.. you should have reminded me..AngryAngry...LOLLOL

lol... i think i've been in both situations.. Tongue

i got a job working with the Feds right out of college.. the agency was recruiting on campus and i got selected.. Tongue i was ubber excited to start the jobbb.. i got the offer in September but didnt start till like January.. i even started crossing out days on the calander to make the start date come soooner..LOLLOL.. i thought that was my ideal job. goood pay.. great opportunity to work in the government.. i was waiting to learnn sooo muchhh... but those views ofcourse changed when i started the job...Ouch..

i hated it... i didnt learn much.. infact nothinggg.. there were bunch of fresh graduates who started with me.. i became real goood friends with them.. but there was hardly any work for us and the work we got tht they expected us to spend a week on was done in a few hours..LOLLOL.. i guess when you are in the state/federal system you shouldnt except llearn much.. primarily because these jobs are unionized..  and you cant be fired unless you dooo something real bad..ie. kill someone.. we had our probationary periods but none of the supervisors cared..  i was soo excited to complete my evaluation.. i wrote paragraph after paragraph writing on how i wanna learn more.. and was hoping my supervisor would write detailed feedback but was shattered when all he wrote were one word feed backk.. "excellent" 'excellent".. ughhh thats when i am like what the heck am i doing here.. i need to get out of here.. LOLLOL.. they offered me retention package but i refusedd .. i felt i was back at where i started. didnt learn anything....Ouch.. but i had to complete  a year so it doesnt look bad on ur resume... i think I learned more working at Key Food in high school then working here..Confused..LOL
Ouch
although i loved the out of state training.. i got to goo too soo many places.. loved the hotels.. met soo many top government officials.. made goood contacts..

i went for job searching all over again.. i only had two options. i wanted to quit the other place soo badly.. it was either a good job something i'd like and enjoy or going back to school..

i got two goood job offers.. an advertising company and an investment bank..  IB paid a lot more then the ad company.. ad company supervisors were alot more up-beat and full of life.. whereas the IB people just appeared as machines.. i was told the work can gooo into the wee hours of the morning ShockedShockedShocked but thats a small price to pay when you loook at those year end bonuses..

i was in a dillema.. my friends wanted me to work for the IB.. and my parents wanted me to work for Ad comp.. cuz work wouldnt be as hectic and i can start schoool part-tim... first time i thought my parents made more sense then friends..LOLLOL i took the ad company job.. Tongue i think i made a wise choice.. cuz the perks here are great here.. they are paying for my post-graduate degree... thats like 40k a year.. and i started studying for my gmats and lsats right away..LOL

now back to your question.. i made the choices i made since i hardly have any responsilities at home.. only paying utilities and wagera.. plus only a few thousands left on my undergrad student loans.. But had i had to pay the mortgage and run a family i would have gone with the IB.. mostly job decisions are influenced more by your family situation then your personal preferences. i could have hated the job.. but if it brought a decent living for my family i would've taken it..

PS.  sorry for the long answers... i was just free writing.. some of the events maybe out of order.. i am too lazy to go back and check. but you can ask questions..  now if you are confused all together then i cant help...LOLLOLLOL
Hey Durga Mata what a sincere piece of work.ClapClapClap
I remain humbled.SmileSmile

baz786

Post Reply New Post

Go to top