Debate Mansion

How should refugees/migrants be treated?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 3:01am | IP Logged
How should refugees/migrants to a country be treated? If they are peaceful and hardworking it is fine I guess but if rowdy a nusaince  then the treatment might be different. Still it is a moral question and migrants if not controlled can be a huge burden and problem. Still I do not like the inhuman and insensitive way some are treated.

France dismantles migrant 'Jungle'

From Phil Black
CNN
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

CALAIS, France (CNN) -- French authorities on Tuesday began dismantling a makeshift camp known as "the Jungle," which housed illegal immigrants who fled dangerous homelands to seek a more prosperous life in Europe.

Refugee advocates tried to keep French police from removing illegal migrants from

Refugee advocates tried to keep French police from removing illegal migrants from "the Jungle" camp.

Click to view previous image
1 of 4
Click to view next image

The French government said it was targeting human smuggling and did not say where the migrants would be relocated.

The series of squalid shanties cobbled from cardboard, plastic tarpaulins and scraps of wood housed about 300 men from nations such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Somalia. At one time, the camp sheltered as many as 1,000 people.

Camp resident Mohammed Bashir escaped the Taliban in Afghanistan and made a new home in a tent here, among the heaps of garbage, sand and bramble on the outskirts of the French port city of Calais. Sometimes, eight men shared the tent.

"I never lived in such a condition like this back home, but right now we don't have any other choice," said Bashir, 24, who left behind his family.

"It's very difficult, very hard for a person who has children and parents."

Desperation filled the air in the Jungle.

Many residents survived arduous and illegal treks from their homelands. Some held ambitions to keep going another 20 miles across the English Channel to seek asylum in Britain by hiding on trucks that cross the water by ferry every day. Others hoped to realize refugee status in France. Video vspace5 Watch more about the camp's closure

But Tuesday, they were forced to put their plans on hold as they were evicted from the Jungle.

Refugee advocates circled the migrants and scuffled with police to keep them at bay. But eventually, the protests were broken up, the migrants were taken away and the shanties started coming down.

Was the French government right to demolish the illegal migrant camp?

The French government's decision drew criticism from humanitarian workers who don't think that demolishing the camp will help resolve illegal immigration issues.

They say moving the migrants is simply displacing the problem.

"We don't know where they're going to go," said Matthieu Tardis, an advocate for asylum seekers. "We don't know what the government plans to do. We are not respecting human rights here, for sure."

The office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees sent staff to Calais earlier in the summer to counsel people about asylum procedures in France and Britain.

According to the U.N. agency, most of the illegal migrants enter Europe through Greece and often fall victim to smugglers who turn a profit by helping migrants reach their destinations.

All the camp residents who fled Afghanistan said they had paid smugglers large sums. They were promised much more than the filthy camp, they said.

Bashir said he had no choice but to flee his home after Taliban militants accused him of spying.

advertisement vspace5

"When they don't need you, they just slaughter you," he said. "They threatened me that [I would] be slaughtered."

Bashir's future remains uncertain. But he is sure of one thing: He cannot go home.

Edited by Summer3 - 22 September 2009 at 7:46am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "How should refugees/migrants be treated?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:36am | IP Logged
If they want to immigrate, they should respect the culture and law of the country, they should assimilate with the host nation, not stay ghettoised and dont form a clique of their own

But the above mentioned article is about refugees, who are more like guests, who for their stay will be treated courteously till they behave or will be kicked out. And as guests are expected to leave after their stay finishes. 

If I remember correctly France has had a lot of issues with these folks turning radical in their religous beleifs and becoming a hotbed of troublemakers. But you gotta applaud them for taking the steps. France under Sarkozy is more right wing on immigrants than the great CowboyWink was or the Aussies are.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 7:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

If they want to immigrate, they should respect the culture and law of the country, they should assimilate with the host nation, not stay ghettoised and dont form a clique of their own

But the above mentioned article is about refugees, who are more like guests, who for their stay will be treated courteously till they behave or will be kicked out. And as guests are expected to leave after their stay finishes. 

If I remember correctly France has had a lot of issues with these folks turning radical in their religous beleifs and becoming a hotbed of troublemakers. But you gotta applaud them for taking the steps. France under Sarkozy is more right wing on immigrants than the great CowboyWink was or the Aussies are.
yes the Govts do face a tough issue but several European and Western countries have taken in a fair amount of refugees. Singapore for its part has not done much I must say as I recall it turned away several refugees during the Vietnam Crisis ( Vietnam Boat people).
Currently it allows more mainland Chinese to gain entry here partly attempting to maintain the demographic balance. Several professionals from India too have been allowed to work here.
Afgans moving across to Pakistan to has been an issue as it can be a drain on a country's limited resources.

Sujal_Fan_No1

Goldie

Sujal_Fan_No1

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged
Well i have to agree with Chal_Phek_Mat
if they want too immigrate y not just do it the legal way, this way they rnt just causing hassel for them selves but for everyone else too. If yes they wer in a life or death situation, under the circumstances they should be allowed, but they shouldnt just set up a camp, coz ur suppose to be secretly going sneaking away not just put a huge camp up and with a sign on it Wink

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged
As harsh as it sounds, they need to be kicked out or apply legally! The reason I am sooo furious at these migrants is because their destinatin is not calais, it is the UK. They will come here by smuggling in a truck and will do nothing to help the British economy AT ALL. I've seen it happen enough number of times. They don't have the skills to work plus in this recession where we ourselves are finding it so damn hard to get a job. (Even McDonald's claim they are receiveing 100's of CV's every day lol.Tongue) Fair enough, they have probably seen enough hard times back home but trying to come in to UK illegally just gets me really angry. Atleast france is taking action and kicking them out, yet so many of them 'vow to come back and try day and night to get in to the uk'. It is those kinda words that make me so furious! :@ And you know what tops it off, they may even get a job. Probably not a minimum wage job but a job, where they will obviously not pay any tax (as they are illegal immigrants) whereas the British citizens are paying crazy amounts of tax by working tough hours to help Britain fight all these security issues and tackle all these problematic people who try and force themselves in to the country! I do not see them contributing to the British economy and we are in no situation what so ever to accept them in to the country and then start having to pay them benefits. (such a typical scenario these days). It's just madness and the British authority must become stricter! Well done France for taking a stand! I can name a few places in London where if you do a search you will find a good few hundred illegal s. asian workers. 8-) My parents slog all day at work and pay their taxes, so should these people.

Edited by hindu4lyf - 24 September 2009 at 5:09pm

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

As harsh as it sounds, they need to be kicked out or apply legally! The reason I am sooo furious at these migrants is because their destinatin is not calais, it is the UK. They will come here by smuggling in a truck and will do nothing to help the British economy AT ALL. I've seen it happen enough number of times. They don't have the skills to work plus in this recession where we ourselves are finding it so damn hard to get a job. (Even McDonald's claim they are receiveing 100's of CV's every day lol.Tongue) Fair enough, they have probably seen enough hard times back home but trying to come in to UK illegally just gets me really angry. Atleast france is taking action and kicking them out, yet so many of them 'vow to come back and try day and night to get in to the uk'. It is those kinda words that make me so furious! :@ And you know what tops it off, they may even get a job. Probably not a minimum wage job but a job, where they will obviously not pay any tax (as they are illegal immigrants) whereas the British citizens are paying crazy amounts of tax by working tough hours to help Britain fight all these security issues and tackle all these problematic people who try and force themselves in to the country! I do not see them contributing to the British economy and we are in no situation what so ever to accept them in to the country and then start having to pay them benefits. (such a typical scenario these days). It's just madness and the British authority must become stricter! Well done France for taking a stand! I can name a few places in London where if you do a search you will find a good few hundred illegal s. asian workers. 8-) My parents slog all day at work and pay their taxes, so should these people.
Thanks. yes illegal immigrants should be controlled but even then they should be treated as humanely as possible. Every affluent country has this problem I think.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged
There are two types of refugees. Some refugees are given legal asylum. Countries like US, UK and other major developed countries will often try to give asylum to people in turbulent nations through a lottery based or favor based system. The system is not perfect and there are flaws on who gets to migrate. That is a different issue.

The thing here to remember is that the country providing shelter is doing a favor. The ability to live in a safer country is not a right, but a privilege granted by that country. The people receiving shelter owe their livelihood to the country that is doing so, as such these refugees have an obligation towards the nation. They ought to do their best to comply with the laws and traditions of the country.

The other types of immigrants and/or refugees are illegal. These people have entered the country illegally and have no right to be there. The country that hosts has no obligation to provide citizenship benefits. Each country has its own citizens and problems to address.

As someone said it sounds bad, but the nation has complete right to round them up and deport them back. There are certain renegade parts of the world where you can get shot for crossing a border - at least many countries facing illegal migrants try to follow some sort of human rights codes.

Btw this topic reminds me - has anyone seen the movie District 9? A really amazing film and depiction of human nature.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
RTH:
Btw this topic reminds me - has anyone seen the movie District 9? A really amazing film and depiction of human nature.

Is this what you are referring to? interesting

Original District 9 Short Film

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.