Aap Ki Antara

Swapna, Updates on the Kids (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 20

MahikaL

MahikaL

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged
Skep, We are here to pick your brains.Approve

I am trying to figure out how to get my son some extra speech therapy.  He has an evaluation next week, but there is a loooooong waiting list for actual services.

Then I found out that it is not covered by our insurance because they only cover speech therapy in the event of, say, vocal cord damage, so he doesn't qualify because his is no speech from birth.

Angry

I just think that he is not going to start talking unless he has more help, but we cannot possibly afford the services on our own. Must do more investigating.

Feeling very annoyed about everyone trying to hide Antara's condition at Arti's wedding. Anyway the horrid FIL thinks Antara is adopted, so why would it matter if she has any genetic disorder....

Mahika.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

s.munagala

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Swapna, Updates on the Kids (Page 4)" in Aap Ki Antara forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 7:20pm | IP Logged
Mahika,

I remember in TX that we were told when we were looking to get speech for Rish that if he was classified as having a developmental disorder as opposed to being on the Autism Spectrum, it would hurt his chances of getting private speech.  Your son must have been classified as having ASD when he received his initial diagnosis right?  If so then the insurance co.'s cannot claim that his is a developmental disorder to refuse services.  Maybe you can look into that angle with them.

Also, there is a place in Plainsboro called Eden Autism Services that may be able to give you advice/help when it comes to getting therapy.  They also advise the WW-P school district on classroom protocols for their autism classrooms.  Their website is: http://www.edenservices.org/.  Hopefully you'll be able to get a hold of some way to get help or advice on how to get your son more speech services.  Let me know how things go, I'm praying for your son to get the services he needs.

Take Care,
Swapna

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged

@  Mahika and Swapna:  I didn't realize that there were so many loopholes in the  system like that! That's  really bad because whether it's autism or special needs, they both require certain training and specialized programs. There must be some loophole for you,  Mahika! I will also pray that your son gets the help he needs without pinching the pocket too much!

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 9:13pm | IP Logged
Varsha,

You would not believe the crap that insurance companies come up with to get out of paying for services for people!!!  I've been dealing with them for almost 7 years now since my Rish was first diagnosed at age 3 and a half!  I hate them to the core, or rather the penny pinching execs who run them, having taken our premiums and ignoring the fact that we pay through the nose to get help for our kids, they still find all sorts of loopholes to use when it come to getting out of paying for services.  I have friends back in TX who've actually had to resort to legal action to help their kid get speech therapy from insurance companies, and are still going through the whole nightmare, most likely with no positive result going to happen for them!  After all the companies have a much larger and more expensive set of battalion of lawyes at their disposal... sad to say, but the ways of the world are such unfortunately :(.Angry Cry

Swapna

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged
It's a sad state indeed! People just think about money money money! They have no compassion or sympathy for other people's situation. If people stopped thinking about themselves, then this world would be a better place in general. Too bad life isn't like that.

I really do hope that in the near future that children with special needs are better represented in general!

My mother doesn't have insurance issues because my brother is not that in need of help, but she had similar problems with the school systems. They won't test or label him properly because he's perfectly functional and able on the outside. They just say he had ADD, but we all at home know the problem is deeper than that.

People just don't really care when the matter doesn't concern them, and it's really sad. If people don't help each other, then who will?

Wow....I really went waaay too deep into all those things, but it's things that I think about on like a daily basis almost in one way or another.

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
Varsha,

I completely understand what your mum must have gone through.  Asperger's Syndrome is on the Autism Spectrum and is an even milder form than PDD-NOS is but ti also frequently is mis-diagnosed as ADD or ADHD.  Kids with AS also have a lot os issues and generally also have speech and OT issues that need help, even though they almost always are verbal kids.

Is your brother out of the school system now?

Swapna

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:14pm | IP Logged

Yes, my brother is going to a public school and everything even though I'd rather him go to a private school. My parents can't really afford it though. It would give him better attention though. At his old school he got a lot of one-on-one help with the special needs teacher, so he was doing fairly well there. Now it's really hard because my brother is very talkative and normal otherwise. He just has a lot of memory retention and handwriting problems.

I've read a little bit about AS, but I don't think he has it. I know he does have ADD because he's very restless and doesn't focus on things he needs to focus on, but there's more to it than just that. For example, he's 12, and he still uses his fingers to add and subtract. He can't remember his multiplication tables, and he has reversal writing problems....like he'll flip letters and numbers. He's getting better about the flipping because of the teacher at the old school, but he has a long ways to go. I think he might have dyslexia, but there's no way to prove it without anyone wanting to believe it.

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged

Varsha, have you guys tried asking the school to evaluate him?  Also, you could go to a pyschologist privately to have an ADD/ADHD (or whatever the Dr. recommends based on his/her observations) evaluation done, and armed with that document you can make the school do an eval., they will have to by law then if the parents insist on it.  You could also threaten the school saying that you'll bring a parent advocate into the meetings if they make it a difficult process for you all.  It's really hard getting services for Sp. Needs kids in TX, and I'm obviously speaking from personal experience.  Unless you fight for your kid over there, they are quite content to let things slide, since it means less work for them and they get to use their budget dollars for something else.

It may be worth shelling out the amount to have a private eval. done for this reason.  We were lucky in that his pediatrician made the pre-cert request and the insurance had to comply with it, so our initial evaluation was covered and we had the subsequent testing done at TX Children's Hospital in Houston which was also covered, because of the Dr.'s pre-certification.  That may be another route to try if you have a sympathetic Pediatrician (if not then look around for one who is willing to listen to your concerns about your brother).

Hope I'm not being too presumptuous in giving you this advice, and I certainly hope that it helps in any way.

Take Care,
Swapna

Post Reply New Post

Go to top