Swapna, Updates on the Kids (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 20

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
Well, I moved to Colleyville..it's near  Dallas. I used to live around this area before, so it's like being back  home!

Oh and I just realized I called Risheek Rishab! I'm really sorry about that, Swapna! I don't know where I got confused from....LOL

Thanks for the good wishes, and please do keep updating it's really nice to read about you all experiences! Big smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Swapna, Updates on the Kids (Page 3)" in Aap Ki Antara forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged
No biggie Varsha, it happens.  :)

skeptical

IF-Rockerz

skeptical

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged
Hi Mahi and Swapna .........................

Nice to come online and to this chat.  Yes I can understand how handful and earful a child in tantrums can be.  But whenever you look back, you can find something to laugh over.  How much you learn on the way!  And Swapna is right  ...... we need to find out what "offends" the child that makes him so uncomfortable.  Have you been able to find out some of the triggers?

I had this little boy in the class who would suddenly start screaming and rolling on the floor.  Altho the lot in my care are not autistic, they are almost stone deaf.  The sight of their mate crying so much sent alarm bells ringing in their little brains.  My heart sank.  Now I would have half a dozen more joining in as a chorus.  I can't shush them ......because they can't hear anyway.  What a time I had!  The other teachers peeped in and asked if help was needed.  Two of them held the others back and quietened them down. After 15 - 20 mins (a short time by autistic standards) I was able to make this child quiet and ask him what the matter was.  I did dread this would have set off another bout of bawling.  But he didn't.... mayb becoz I was carrying him.  He pointed to the wall.  I couldn't see anything.  After a treasure hunt .................... it turned out to be a house-fly.  Now in India we have hordes of them.  How was I going to deal with this?  So with him in one arm I took his arm with my free one and starting shoo-ing the flies away.  Remember we teach speech as well.........so shoo was ideal to teach the phoneme 'sh'.  This game of mine went on for almost half an hour before he got down and became quiet.  I sighed with relief.
But my brave ones soon lost their fears (over a week) and became terrorists for the unsuspecting fly.

When the day was over at school, the whole faculty was in splits over this exercise.  They said, no need to diet or go gymming ................. just get Ernie (that's the boy's name) and shoo flies.  I said if I have to carry him for such a long spell daily ....... I'll go into competition with Arnold Swarz and his biceps..... Wink

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

s.munagalah&rblock

MahikaL

MahikaL

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged
OMG, Skep, I am DYING of laughter here!!! I may not be deaf or autistic, but I was that kid, screaming because of the fly.... Every time we went to India for holidays, everyone would put me under the fan so that the flies would keep away from me. Big smile You are such a nice teacher, I can just tell.

Tulip, Hallo! I love your posts. We are just mothers muddling along, and our little munchkins are so cute, it is not a hardship to take care of their needs. My son has his own way of letting us know what he needs, and while our lives are definitely more limited because of his condition,  I just believe that we were meant to be his parents, and our daughter was meant to be his sister, and when we have that belief, what else do we need? The kids' play area is near the puja room, and I know that since he is growing up in the shadow of God, he will always have that protection.

Over the weekend, I got my first kiss on the cheek from my son. Okay, I am crying while I type this. It was HUGELY joyful for me. I have always given him lots of hugs and kisses, but this is the first time he kissed me back. Weep, weep, sniffle...Heart

Mahika.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

annie80s.munagalarad4devh&rblockrealitybitesZindaDilskeptical

lotus1963

lotus1963

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged
CONGRATS Mahika.

I wish you a billion a trillion an infinite such kisses from the lil un.

Love you loads,
Padma

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged
Halloo Everyone,

Mahika, I'm so pleased to hear about your son giving you sugar over the weekend!  :)  The first time Rish kissed me was a very special memory, and somehow by a twist of fate/co-incidence, my husband just happened to have the camera in his hands at the time.  So, I have a pic of Rish pulling my ears and hair to  his little baby face (he was 3 & 1/2 at the time) and smacking a wet one right on my mouth, in a frame that says "I Love Mommy", which I keep right beside my bed.  It's the last thing at night and the first thing in the morning that I see every day!  :)

Never mind tantrums and all the hard days or trying times we go through, parenting these little angels, I' ve always said they give so much more to us than we could ever give them in one lifetime of being their parents.  Just watching my son interact with a dog makes my heart melt, to see him actually grasp a concept for the first time, the wonder and understanding in his little eyes...  there are countless little tiny insignificant little everyday things that he does which are just priceless experiences to me, and he is really an invaluable gift God gave my husband and I.

Take Care All! :)
Swapna

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

skeptical

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged
@ Skep: Woow! That must have been a real exhausting day!! I'm glad you made it through, and it must be really rewarding teaching the kids! Big smile I can't really blame the kid for screaming about the fly though because just last night I started screaming because a lizard was in our living room! LOL

@ Mahika: I'm sooo happy to hear that your son gave you a kiss for the first time! I hope many more are to come. I can understand why you got so emotional about it.

@ Swapna: You're so lucky to have such a cute picture of you and Rish by your night stand! Big smile

s.munagala

Groupbie

s.munagala

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 10:34pm | IP Logged
Hey Skep, are you a speech therapist as well as a teacher?  I have a question for you about what kind of techniques you use to help your kids grasp comprehension when they read a story?  Rish has a lot of trouble with this aspect of his learning, and I'm trying to gather various ways of seeing how to help him with it.  They are doing their thing to help in school, but I want to supplement that at home too.  Hope you don't mind my asking your opinion on this, but since you do work with special needs kids, I thought you would have a good perspective about it.

Thanks!
Swapna

Post Reply New Post

Go to top