Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 14 years ago

The show started off very well -the story-actors, direction, dialogues, realistic and touching. The whole concept was meaningful and significant. The story was going well till for some reason the directors introduced the track of loan shark, terrorist, miscarriage, Adi-Vid hatred, all this wasnt reqd.

Why cldnt they show the lil kids more-Antara's therapy, her progress-her learnings and her flaws, her bonding with Abhi, Billu, her parents, teachers, acceptance by kids in school yet adults dont. I wld have liked to see a teen Antara facing devt issues and how they are tackled.

Why show gloom, agony and struggle? Do the creatives want to imply that parents having Aut-kids have this kind of a struggling life? Its sending such a wrong message. Instead they cld have shown how the treatment is done, how education takes place, how society can extend help, how neighbours can help,...so on....

Towards the end the story and presentation were ruined. Sad it all had started on such a great note. I do hope that this doesnt deter others from taking on such meaningful initiatives anymore. 

skeptical thumbnail
Agree with you 100% Lav .........

Hi Swaps.................... yes we shall all return to this thread and keep in touch as long as the forum is open.  And it will remain open till the time we are active here.
MahikaL thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Great post, realitybites. I wonder if there was a lot of pressure on the creatives to spice up the plot. Little did they know that we were ready and willing to appreciate the show the way it began--with the focus on the autism, the family, and how it all would have evolved through time and therapy.

Glad to hear that RIsh is well, Swaps. My son's IEP meeting is also coming up soon. His conference went pretty well, so that was a nice surprise. They had charted his progress for each objective, and we talked about how to streamline between home and school.

My husband and I were chatting this morning, and we commented on how we never imagined that we would have a kid who was almost 5 and had no speech at all. Then we said, "But he is such a happy guy in general, so eh..." 😆 We notice that as he is becoming more social, my daughter is getting a bit jealous. I guess she had gotten used to being the one who is heard all the time. The dynamic keeps changing in the family.

Skeps, you really are a busy woman! How on earth do you juggle all those commitments?

Mahika.

skeptical thumbnail

Hi Mahi...............

Not any more busy than all of you here.  I come on IF to meet up with friends and its relaxing when you chat with ol' friends, isn't it?  I am rarely online through the day since I don't have access to the internet in school.  Besides, that is a different world and no thought of IF enters my mind while at work. 😳 😳 😆

skeptical thumbnail
BTW I had written an essay some ten years ago.  Recently, it was published in a newspaper.  Would you like to read it?  Its on a relationship a teacher shares with her students.  I wont reproduce the newspaper here just the article (essay)..... which I had stored on my pc as a Word doc.

Do read my rubbish......... 😛 😉
skeptical thumbnail
This is it ............

A relationship is a bond that we share with someone.  It could be your friend, your parents, your spouse, your teacher or even your pet.  But for now I would focus upon a teacher - student relationship.  To teach is touch life. "A school has four walls with a future inside."

I remember my first term with the young children that came to my class.  Each came in clutching on to his mother's saree.  I knew it was going to be a big task in winning over the little one's trust and confidence.  Usually the sight of toys and game corners lured them in.  Once they got used to their new environment, they readily left their mothers and entered the classrooms.  Here was someone else's child left in my care for the day.  It was an awesome prospect.  I had to constantly be creative to keep their attention on the subject. 

Each child was different.  Some bold, some boisterous, some timid, some quiet and some plain shy.  But by giving equal attention and importance to each one, the motley crowd   soon becomes a homogenous unit.  For me, my day was made when I heard my student laugh.  Laughter is a sign of happiness and with happiness comes an eagerness to learn.  So I knew what the mood the child had to be in.  A good teacher or rather a teacher who loves teaching will make children love learning.  That was my motto.  It wasn't as if I succeeded every time but I have held that doctrine very close to my heart.  I knew all my students weren't stars but I also knew that they could all twinkle. 

Certain days just never went right.  On a child's birthday, there would be lot of excitement and invariable my agenda used to go for a six.  But so much of informal learning and teaching would be done.  Like Howard Gardner said, "Teaching is not the point – Learning is the point".  All children are wonderful, the child doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful. 

The relationship that a teacher shares with her student is one of a friend, guide and mentor.  For the young child, she becomes the person who takes on the role of a mother outside home and so she becomes the most important person he spends time with in the place called school. 

The number of activities that are done is all to facilitate learning.  The more the students "does", the more he remembers the experience.  To let out the pent up energy, singing, music and games are played.  The teacher joins in to maximise participation.  A teacher always believes in her students, gives them strength to dream and then achieve to make those dreams come true. 

I have seen my little caterpillars metamorphose into some beautiful butterflies.  And what joy I get when I see that happen.  In many ways, my students are my teachers.  The skill at modifying, at being creative and imparting knowledge in the simplest possible way has largely been taught to me by them. 

There are many students who keep in touch although so many years have gone by.  It is gratifying to know you have touched someone's life in a special sort of a way.

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks Mahika. Its wonderful to have you and Swapna on the forum. Many a times we did cry reading ur posts though we didnt say so.  Sometimes wanted to share our thoughts but right words escaped so simply liked ur posts. Its hats off to you both for having the strength and courage to give your child the best you can despite the hurdles and tough times you faced. All the best to you both. ⭐️

Skepi , I am speechless.  What you have written is wonderful and very touching. You are a gifted writer, a kind hearted person and a great teacher. Please STOP calling it rubbish and edit the word from ur post too.
Edited by realitybites - 14 years ago
skeptical thumbnail
Rubbish .....................😉  
Hahahahaha but thanks Lav..................😆 🤗
Padmajaan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Yes Mahika and Swapna, Lavs summed up exactly my reactions to your posts. Always followed them. Almost feel as if I know you both and your kids too. Followed their progress and at times setbacks keenly with a whole lot of emotion and feelings. But did not want to disturb your beautiful dialogue and hence did not leave posts.
But do always know that you are on my mind and I wish you both and your kids the best in the world.

Skeppie wonderful piece. As a passionate teacher who believes in what she does I echo your thoughts completely.
I also try to do the same but in a completely different setting - learning French, adolescent and adult students, so much of love, so much of affection, so much of dedication. They are simply great and I try to make the whole learning process frothy so that it sits light on their shoulders, so that they don't get weighed down and lose the pleasure and the thrill of discovering and learning. And you are so right, how much I have learnt from them in all these years!!! and how much of laughter we have shared, having great fun and the learning is happening so beautifully!! and then they become such successful people...
and yes many keep in touch for years and years and years.
Amazing this profession is!!
No money but so much of satisfaction that it is addictive and one can never leave it.
Love you Skep and am so proud of you and so happy to have met you.

Paddy 
h&rblock thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Love the article Skep - wish I had more teachers like you when I was growing up to encourage me & not belittle me...warms my heart to know that there are teachers like you in this world to whom teaching is not just a profession but a way of life...thanks for sharing!