Blogical Conclusion: BR Fanclub - Pg.17

Posted: 14 years ago
"Never read a critic to know if the movie is any good. Read him or her only to know what he or she thought of it."
(Baradwaj Rangan)

The first fanclub on IF for a Film Reviewer: Baradwaj Rangan

BR's blog:
http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/archives/

This is a place for us to discuss Baradwaj's reviews, his writing, and films themselves.

Members:
bluemoon
Ms.Goodmorning
Divyalrl
Mannu
dizzyonlemonade
pksanam
simran
radhika_21
Pariz

Edited by -bluemoon- - 14 years ago
I am going to post some new and old reviews to get us started:

Luck:

Kaash Mere Hote:

Tahaan and A Wednesday:

Taare Zameen Par and Welcome:

From Kaash Mere Hote:
We're used to films that treat the audiences like morons, but Kaashh… Mere Hote may be something of a first – the characters, themselves, treat one another like morons. The heroine asks, at one point, "Kya?" Then, cleverly intuiting that the hero needs more prompting, she adds, "Kya hua?" Finally, just to make sure the essence of her communication doesn't get lost in translation, she tosses in an option in another language, "What happened?" But this is nothing compared to Rajesh Khanna's fourfold declaration of his vision impairment. "I'm blind. I can't see. Main nahin dekh sakta. Main andha hoon," he yells, as if offering multiple choices to a contestant on a game show. In that vein, we too shall declare: This film is no good. It's bad. It sucks. Total bakwaas hai, boss.
I think he has a great sense of humour. Another thing I really like about his reviews is that he will discuss films in depth and focus on a particular scene but it never really becomes a spoiler.

And then he notices subtle details in films that I would have never seen - definitely not with one viewing.
Edited by bluemoon86 - 14 years ago
HAHAHA. That is hilarious. His reviews for bad movies are the best and I agree on his sense of humor! absolutely brilliant.

And yeah, he does always notice things that I never would have thought of. Especially his APS one.. I never realized that HR was basically showing us what kind of a person he is..
Now some from Taare Zameen Par:

The layered textures of the first half gradually give way to an uncomfortably black-and-white universe: the rest of the world in black versus Aamir in white. Every one of the teachers at boarding school is an offensive cartoon painted in the broadest of strokes, and cruel too – like the instructor who raps Ishaan on the knuckles with a wooden ruler. Aamir, by contrast, laughs and sings and clowns around (literally; his entry into the film is in a clown suit). Ishaan's father is so insensitive to his children's needs that he can't handle something as small as the elder son losing a tennis match. Aamir, by contrast, is so sensitive, he cries at the mere sight of children. He sees differently-abled kids perform in an Annual Day celebration – and his eyes well up with tears. He sees a kid mopping up tables at a roadside eatery – and his eyes well up with tears. He sees Ishaan's paintings – and his eyes well up with tears. It's no wonder that, at some point during his visit to Ishaan's house, he asks for a glass of water; you're not surprised, considering his constant loss of fluids.

I realise that came off a trifle mean-spirited in the face of a mainstream film so generous in wanting to tell a story that mainstream audiences are not used to – but the attempts at reconciling these realities were part of the problem for me with Taare Zameen Par.

I too really liked the first half of the film, but the second was very emotionally manipulative. And there are a lot of inconsistencies that show up. Some Aamir fans criticised BR for this review saying he was too harsh.
that is so true his reviews are  elaborate n specific of certain scenes at the same time.
here's my fav
Yeah Aap Ka Suroor was a major PR exercise wasn't it.

The comment he made about SEL he explained further in the comments section on his blog. SEL are seen as multiplex composers or "elites". But HR is a man of the masses, that is why the autorickshaw drivers show up there.
I've actually only seen the first half of TZP. We were at someone's place for dinner and the kids were watching it on tv! But I am not surprised. Ghajini was awful, but it was the love story that made people love it! Aamir knows the pulse of the audience, which hasn't really proven to be a good thing.. methinks.