Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

The Photograph l One shot story

U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 14 years ago
This is a short story dedicated to my friend :) She inspired me to write this 😊 

it's a very vague story, and this is defenitely a new style for me. i generally don't mix up first person and third person, but it seemed like the best format for the idea i had in mind. BTW, incase there is any confusion, you all can ask me. πŸ˜ƒ

Please comment! πŸ˜ƒ

THE PHOTOGRAPH

I stare at the photograph in my hand. It is slightly crumpled, I guess passage of time does have that effect. It tells me how much I've changed over the years. Time is an enigma to me. Sometimes I feel as if it's running out of my hands, and sometimes as if it hasn't passed at all. It has a different way of meddling with us.

My mother looks happy. That's a very rare emotion to be seen on her face. To say that I love my mother more than the world would still be an understatement. All I want in life is to be able to give her the happiness she deserves.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but simply moving on despite that fear"

Swati remembered her mother's words as she sat near the window, staring at the rain coming down in sheets. How she wished the pounding rain could wash away the pain within her soul. Her mother's words lingered in her mind, and she tried to decode them. Moving on is easier said than done...

Choices. Sounds like just another word, doesn't it ? I've noticed that most of the simple words in life prove to be the hardest in their implementation. Making the right choice is the hardest decision in life. Whenever we find ourselves at a crossroads, there are two paths we can take - the one which is easy, and the one which is right.

Our choices make us who we are, remember the famous dialogue from Spiderman ? It sounded like just another one of those 'deep-meaning' lines when I first heard it, but as far as I'm concerned, I now feel it's true.

It's raining again. Rain seems to have become Swati's best friend. She could sit and stare at for endless hours, allowing the peace of the sound to engulf her completely. In a strange way, thinking about her past while staring at rain didn't seem so painful. She allowed her mind to drift to the time she spent in a foreign country, it changed her as a person. She felt that the experience forced her to become maturer than her age. A large chunk of her innate innocence had been removed.

She sighed and closed her eyes, simply content to know that she was in a place she could call 'home', still trying to decode her mother's words.

I open my eyes to find myself sitting in my bedroom. Looking around, I notice how something is missing in my room. I ponder over the thought and realize that it's simply the presence of silence and the absence of sound. Before, my room was one place where silence dare not enter, and now, it had finally found a way to wriggle inside and infuse into my room.

The photograph is still in my hands, and it's trying to communicate with me, trying to pass on the lost emotions. I don't feel like crying, tears don't form. My eyes are probably tired of shedding incessant tears.

Swati was angry. An inexplicable rage had built inside her. She had bottled it up and shoved it aside for now, but she wasn't sure as to how long she would be able to sustain it. The trauma of living in a new environment, and being forced to accept it was unforgettable. The harshness, the cruelty, the hate..the pain. Why had they even come to this place ? She was silent throughout the ordeal, and now the unspoken words were slowly increasing her hatred.

She took a deep breath and controlled her tears. Strengthening her resolve, she decided to get her retribution by making sure that she could live life on her own terms. The only way to get rid of the hatred would be able to stand up on her own feet, and she would do it. She would make the right choice, the right path.

Inexplicably, my lips curve into a smile. I don't know why, but I'm suddenly feeling light. I slowly get up and walk towards my cupboard, retrieving a small box, I open the lid and carefully place the photograph inside it. Taking a last look at the photograph, I shut the lid and put the box back in the cupboard.

I have finally decoded my mother's words. I will move on inspite of the fear, and that will be my courage. Letting go of the past is the first step towards future, today, I take that step. I look out of the window, it's raining again. I smile, rain is truly my best friend.

Robert Frost said, "I took the path less travelled by, and that has made all the difference". The difference will happen. And soon.

*********************************'

This song has also inspired me alot, so I'd like to share it with you peeps πŸ˜ƒ

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3U6BCUQqG8[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by -Neetz- - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lavienrose thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I really like the begining and I like the way you write the story is sooo nice!!...it's really good. The story, you've written is so different from others that I have read so far! oh I love how your story end with the rain. I love raining days so I get inspire to write when it rains lol!

^^nice quote!
-simi- thumbnail

beautiful!!! liz this is soo amazing i cant tell u how much!

you really have the ability to take something so small and really write a lot on it.. for ex, this story.. we dont know anything about this character's past, her present, or her future. we dont know where she is and what the 'pain' is thats being talked about.. we dont even know what this character is like, how old she is, and yet i could feel the emotion inside me, the rush of facing the fears and going ahead in life..

amazing one liz!  *bows down* πŸ˜†
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Mannu-

I really like the begining and I like the way you write the story is sooo nice!!...it's really good. The story, you've written is so different from others that I have read so far! oh I love how your story end with the rain. I love raining days so I get inspire to write when it rains lol!

^^nice quote!

Thankyou Mannu! πŸ˜ƒ

Yup, the quote is really beautiful :) πŸ˜ƒ
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
nice one....
please continue writng like this and inspiring us...awww....so good.
the quotes taken were from classmate register? I think? hehehehe...
but it was good,....very nice....
Please keep writing.

Ananya
.driftingaway thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
very beautifully written -NEETZ- :)
i like how you slip into the past and then the present .. and also how you gave the story an optimistic ending !
like simi said we dont know where the girl is, how old she is or what her past, present and future is like  .. yet i still felt that emotion of uncertaintly and fear in me ..
i also love the quotes you used .. very apt and inspirational !
this one shot is amazing ! do write more stories like this =P

*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
.. yes tis very vague πŸ˜† but i like it.. it obviously has a lot of imprtance for you πŸ˜ƒ something only you and your best friend know about.. it was very nice 😳
iTangled_25 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Reserved

*Edited*

That was a nice one Neeta, The emotions were expressed so beautifully, I just got into it so much, totally lost in it😳 i have seen you around in the FF section, damn, i dont get time to check outta your FFs though, may be sumtime i'll catch them, but if u do start a new FF, One shot, etc, PM meπŸ˜‰

-Steff

Edited by Steff_DMG - 14 years ago
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Originally posted by: -simi-

beautiful!!! liz this is soo amazing i cant tell u how much!

you really have the ability to take something so small and really write a lot on it.. for ex, this story.. we dont know anything about this character's past, her present, or her future. we dont know where she is and what the 'pain' is thats being talked about.. we dont even know what this character is like, how old she is, and yet i could feel the emotion inside me, the rush of facing the fears and going ahead in life..

amazing one liz!  *bows down* πŸ˜†

OMG.

This is a MiRAAcle.! 😲 Sims...I mean SIMS has written out a LONG comment for the very first time in her life! 😲 *Faints* Simz, I'm so honoured to have been that person who recieved your very first long comment! Thankyou! πŸ€—

hehe..Thanks simz! I'm glad you liked it..I was actually thinking that it might fall flat because of the vagueness..but i'm happy to know that it came across well πŸ˜ƒ thanks again! πŸ˜ƒ
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Originally posted by: ammygurl

nice one....
please continue writng like this and inspiring us...awww....so good.
the quotes taken were from classmate register? I think? hehehehe...
but it was good,....very nice....
Please keep writing.

Ananya

Thanks Ananya! πŸ˜ƒ

Hehe no..it wasn't from a classmate register, i googled it up πŸ˜†

πŸ˜ƒ