Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 September 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged
A while back a Dilbert comic had joked about 'How do you fail a Gender test?'. And clearly for the everyday person taking a Gender test seems absurd. Do they check if you shop for make up or power tool?

But this little test in the sporting world is causing a world of misery for a young South African Teenager. Caster Semenya a well built female athlete was questioned of her gender after she won the 800 m world championships by a huge margin.

I cannot help but feel sorry for Semenya and what she is going through. Ouch She was born a girl. She was raised a girl. She lives and acts like a girl. Is it really her fault that she might have more testosterone than most girls, or her internal anatomy may not be female. Why should any teenager have to undergo such an embarrassing testing procedure that can be so emotionally overwhelming. Knowing the way social attitudes, and the jeering and ridiculing that can be there - no one wants their gender questioned on an international scale.

Is Gender Testing in sports fair?
Should Semenya have to undergo these tests?
Should there not be more privacy rules? Why not make such testing more discreet and private? Even if there is gender cheating, should it not be done without a media circus and save athletes international embarrassment ?

Related Articles:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Runner-embroiled-in-gender-controversy-wanted-to?urn=oly,184455
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/09/10/2009-09-10_caster_semenya_.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Semenya-withdraws-from-race-amidst-reports-she-s?urn=oly,188930

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

baz786.DontKnow.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Caster Semenya: Fair or Unfair" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 11 September 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
I heard about this and read articles and such on it, I think its heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine the emotional torture she's going through. I think its awful.

To answer your questions, I do not think gender testing is fair in sports, she should not have to undergo this ludicrous procedure, there should most definitely be more privacy surrounding this issue, instead of announcing it on such a grand scale, and nobody deserves such international embarrassment.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 September 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged
^^^^

I know. I can barely imagine the emotional rollercoaster she is going through. Its like having your entire life and identity being shamelessly questioned.

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 3:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Another thing, if she feels like a girl, acts like a girl, looks like a girl, simply with a male genital, then shouldn't she go for a sex change and become the gender she was meant to be?

True. Firstly since she is externally anatomically female and never felt or though male, the issue did not arise. Secondly she merely has higher testosterone and allegedly absence of ovaries. Nothing that is stopping her from looking and living like a female. Thirdly South Africa is not as technologically and socially advanced.

Finally we come to the ethics of the issue? Is it ok to mess with nature? After all nature made her like that? From my arguments in the past everyone knows that I would support whatever surgical choice she makes - but in real life high profile cases like this choices are difficult.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gengarjetty2

did she fail or pass the test?

Rumor is she failed. But it is to be confirmed.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top